Login |  Register |  FAQ

TOEG: Major_Gilbear's Squats

Post subject: TOEG: Major_Gilbear's Squats
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, this is the first time I've ever done on of these "Tale of ..." challenges, the first time I've ever really done a painting log of a project, and the first time I've ever painted/modelled Squats in any scale. I guess that's a lot of firsts! :D

Since I intend to use my Epic Squat models for a number of different Epic and 6mm Sci-Fi rules systems, I don't have a fixed army list to work from. However, the intention is to finish up with a full and well-rounded (pun not intended) army for any ruleset, so I will instead just make a list of what I have to assemble, covert, base and paint for the army, and complete chunks of it (in volume/model terms) each month. To assess what will be in each chunk, I will use the E40k lists released in the Citadel Journal, and will consider the TOEG challenge 'met' if I can complete a balanced 1500 point force (some 375 points per month).

This is a list of what I have planned so far:

- Stronghold Lord
- Ancestor Lord
- Warlords
- Ancestors
- Guildmasters
- Engineers
- Exo-Armour
- Hearthguard
- Veterans
- Warriors
- Thunderers
- Beserkers
- Rhinos (about 30)
- Termites (9 models + transporters + emerging models)
- Moles (3 models + transporters + emerging models)
- Hellbore (1 model + transporter)
- Robots (about 15, more if I find them)
- Guild Bikes (about 15 stands)
- Guild Trikes (about 10 stands)
- Iron Hammer Tanks (10 models, from Exodus Wars)
- Hearthlord Tanks (3 models, from Exodus Wars)
- Support Weapons - Thudd Guns
- Support Weapons - Mole Mortars
- Support Weapons - Rapier Lasers
- Goliath Mega Cannon (3 models)
- Thunderfire Cannons (4 models)
- Overlord Armoured Airships (3 models)
- Iron Eagle Gyrocopters (10 models)
- Steel Hawk / War Hawk Gyrocopters (4 models, from Exodus Wars)
- Observation Balloons (3 models)
- Leviathan (2 models)
- Colossus (1 model + 1 Gyrocopter)
- Colossus (1 model + 1 Gyrocopter)
- Cyclops (2 models)
- Land Train (2 Engines, 11 Battlecars)
(KEY: Red = Not Started, Yellow = Started, Green = Completed)

The infantry haven't been given quantities yet, as I'm not fully sure what I want on each stand! Some will depend on what I have available, and some will depend on what models I can sensibly convert or otherwise represent.

I may also add more to this list over time! My intention is to keep going past the TOEG timeframe until the army is complete - unless I complete it all before the end of the challenge of course! I will also go back and edit this first post as I complete models, and may also add notes/further quantities as I go.

Also, if anybody has any advice or suggestions on anything at all please chip in - I always appreciate all advice. Also, if for any reason you don't like something, please feel free tell me so - but also tell me why and how you would fix it. Hopefully, I can improve over the course of the challenge. :D

So, er, yeah. That's about it! I guess it's time to get started then... 8)

Last edited by Major_Gilbear on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: TOEG: Major_Gilbear's Squats
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking forward to it chap! You can give me some inspiration on how to paint my Squats :D.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I was thinking that they'd look quite good in white, grey, black, red, gold and silver. Colours that are practical, but also show off the Squats' mining background. The red is there to brighten up the colour scheme, and tie the neutral and metal colours together. Hopefully, they'll end up looking a little Ad. Mech. too! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ambitious plan. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, apologies for the lack of updates here!

I have however been busy, and have so far made 60 custom bases for all the infantry (more may follow), complete with the mounting recesses. Most of the delay was in getting the materials actually, as the bases themselves took around 2 hours from start to finish.

I'll try and get some pics up tonight/tomorrow, and I intend to have some armour up on the Weekend.

How do folks represent Veterans (not Hearthguard or Exo Armour, but Veterans), and also how do folks represent Living Ancestors / Living Ancestor Lords? Some suggestions / help would be welcome, as this is the first time I've ever built or seen Epic Squats in person! Nobody I knew in my youth played them, and I never had the O&SWL SM2 army supplement, so I'm a bit hazy on some details.

I've also added some Observation Balloons to my list... And will add more Robots soon as well... Oh dear! ::)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For veterans you could use Exodus Wars Khazari infantry. They look like dismounted squat bikers.

For ancestors/merchant prince I have used the character models from Exodus War with Hearthguards and standard bearers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quick little update!

I had a busy (non-modelling) week, so my weekend was a catch-up on making the plastic bases for the army. It didn't help that it took a fair old while to get the materials for the bases to arrive in the first place (nearly two weeks!).
Nor did it help that the plasticard was sent to me taped to cardboard so that the Postie wouldn't bend it to go through my letter box - but it left all the adhesive behind when I peeled it off. The adhesive didn't even come off with Meths, so I ended up having to carefully sand the whole sheet down with superfine grade sandpaper... What a mess that made.

Anyway, I've finally got: 60+ infantry bases with a variety of different holes (4's and 3's), 40 light vehicle bases, 30 heavy vehicle bases & 10 super-heavy vehicle bases. I've not really considered what I'll do for Trikes, Bikes, Robots and Fliers, but I think they'll all go on 20mm or 30mm stainless steel fender washers. Not going to worry about that right now though!

I've also made a start on the Rhinos and one of the Colossi, and if I manage to get any painting done this Sunday I'll put some pictures up.

I have the following Friday booked off as holiday too, so what with the Bank Holiday Monday following that as well, I intend to complete the first month come hell or high water!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Right, well I have some pictures, and progress is going well so far today! I will probably get this Colossus finished tonight - and will post finished pics then. :)

Click on the images below for bigger sizes.

First up, starting shot of all the models:

Next up is a prepped pre-painted model pic. The Rhino is going to be a test piece for the other 29... I will probably have some variation across them though.

Finally, this is a blurry pic of where I am at the moment (blurry because camera battery is dying :()

I think you can see where I'm going with the co0lour scheme; it will be desert-based, and have black, metal and white accent colours.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Right, well it is 23:39pm here, and I've finished the first model of the force!

It still needs sealing and some grass tufts, but actual work on the model is complete; I have therefore managed therefore to just squeak by this month on 430 points. :o

Finished Squat Colossus:

I will probably do a mixture of infantry and Rhinos throughout the log and punctuate each month with something big as well. This will keep me on track points-wise, allow me to dedicate proper attention to each 'cool' thing in the army and still get the small stuff done. Doing all the small stuff in one go would have killed me this month, and I wouldn't have quite made 375points with the first batch anyway! :-[

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Really nice! Looking forward to seeing more :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:21 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Great result! Love how you've muted the colours :)

Armyforge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow, that Colossus is the nicest I've ever seen - grand show :) :) :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:38 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Looks great, as said, great colours. The landing pad is particularly fine.