Login |  Register |  FAQ

Am I doing this right?

Post subject: Am I doing this right?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, I've been a long time fan of Epic and similar scale wargames(Flames of War, for instance), and I have always loved the background of the game(I was mostly a fantasy player, but I did field soem tau and experimented with a lot of other armies). And I've got a bunch of friends who have enjoyed FoW and Warhammer, and I think I'm going to arrange a little event with my local gaming group and run through the basic teaching scenerios in the rule book.

Assaults are kicking me in the tail right now. Well, maybe not, but I have questions! Fortunately, I have diagrams too, so maybe this will be easy!

Ok, in this image, two blue marine formations have single out a single tactical company. The unmarked blue tactical company double-moved, dismounted and fired at the red marines in the building. With the penalty from double moving and targets being in cover, the didn't get many hits, and those were saved. But they put a blast marker on the Red Marines.

Side Question 1: ATSKNF, that marine special rule about blast markers, means that 1 blast marker really doesn't do anything to a marine formation, right? It doesn't suppress a unit, and it doesn't count against the unit in the assault, right?

In any case, the Yellow Company retains the initiative and engage the red marines. They ride up, get droppe out of their rhinos and assault the red marines.

The Red marines could counter-charge, but don't. The dismounted red Tactical marines can't really reach anything with a 5cm move. However, I guess their rhinos could move out to get in range to lend their fire fight to the coming assault.

Side Question: When is an enemy unit "contacted" during counter charges? If enemies end in their Zone of Control?

How do you handle situations where a unit can't get in base to base, but can get into Zone of Control? Do they stop at the edge of ZoC and firefight, do they stop at Zoc and do nothing, do they move closer, but then do nothing?

Anyway, so combat happens simultaneously, right, barring special rules like First Strike? So, in this case, the 6 Tactical marines and the 3 Rhinos can use their firefight to fight. The red Rhinos neither have range, nor line of fire to the assaulting Yellow Company.

Rolling attacks: Do I have to roll attacks individually, or as a unit? Particularly, if some of the defending units are outside of the range for some of the attacking units, does that mean that I have to roll those attacks individually?

Next, Supporting fire: The unmarked blue company can lend supporting fire. Do casualties from this count as inflicted in the assault when working out the result, or do they just kill off models, which could influence outnumbering?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting a group of guys to play epic, love it and get hooked.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Am I doing this right?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:34 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

1) the formation still counts as having BMs, so the opponent gets a +1 on resolution

2) contacted is base to base

Once ZoC is entered you havr to use your charge move to base the closest enemy if you can.

Attacks are pooled, so we roll by to-hit value.

Kills from support count towards resolution, unlrss they're Grotz.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So if you don't have enough movement to reach base to base, then you can't enter a ZoC?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:50 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

you can, if you end up drawing a combat, if you couldn't enter ZoC you could never BTB anything with a 5cm countercharge

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
you can, if you end up drawing a combat, if you couldn't enter ZoC you could never BTB anything with a 5cm countercharge

So, if the red rhinos moved 10 cm as a counter-charge, to get into line of fire and range with their stormbolters, several would be within the 5cm ZoC of the unmarked blue marines. Does this draw the unmarked blue marines into the assault, giving them a counter charge with their tacticals and rhinos(5 and 10cm, respectively), and bringing them in as members of the assault?

If you do end up inside the ZoC but unable to make base to base, do you not fight? Do you use your firefight? , if you have one? What if this happens on your initial engagement movement?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Verjigorm wrote:

Side Question 1: ATSKNF, that marine special rule about blast markers, means that 1 blast marker really doesn't do anything to a marine formation, right? It doesn't suppress a unit, and it doesn't count against the unit in the assault, right?

The Marine formation would still be at -1 for its activation roll if it still has the BM when it next activates.
The Marine formation would not get the +1 for having no BMs in combat resolution (Epic-Uk go with the simpler rule of round down to a minimum of 1).
In your example Blues would get +1 for no BMs but Reds would not get the +1 in combat resolution.
This is covered in the section 5.1.1

Quote:
The Red marines could counter-charge, but don't. The dismounted red Tactical marines can't really reach anything with a 5cm move. However, I guess their rhinos could move out to get in range to lend their fire fight to the coming assault.

Side Question: When is an enemy unit "contacted" during counter charges? If enemies end in their Zone of Control?

If I understand this question correctly it is when base contact is made not just getting into a zone of control.

Quote:
How do you handle situations where a unit can't get in base to base, but can get into Zone of Control? Do they stop at the edge of ZoC and firefight, do they stop at Zoc and do nothing, do they move closer, but then do nothing?

Counter charges follow the same rules as charge moves so the rules for entering zones of control are the same.
Once you enter a ZofC you must attempt to get into base contact but you stop if you run out of movement.
Making Base contact = CC not in base contact = FF . Only drag in other formations if base contact is made (not just entering ZofC).

Quote:
Rolling attacks: Do I have to roll attacks individually, or as a unit? Particularly, if some of the defending units are outside of the range for some of the attacking units, does that mean that I have to roll those attacks individually?

Attacks are pooled together by type (MW, Lance, Disrupt, normal and so on). War Engines have slightly different rules for allocating hits so these may need to be rolled separate.
Quote:
Next, Supporting fire: The unmarked blue company can lend supporting fire. Do casualties from this count as inflicted in the assault when working out the result, or do they just kill off models, which could influence outnumbering?

Casualties from support fire count towards combat resolution.