Login |  Register |  FAQ

New to the forums, my first try at a 3,000 point list!

Post subject: New to the forums, my first try at a 3,000 point list!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Let me preface this by saying I've played a few games of EA, but nothing for years and I only ever used the army lists out of the book. I really want to use the Forgeworld Grey Knights models and have stumbled onto this wonderful community and wonderful game that you guys have built here. So, using the Grey Knights list in the army list compendium:

Terminators with Grandmaster
Terminators with Librarian
Terminators
Terminators with Landraider transports

Landraider formation

2 x Thunderhawks

Purgation squad with Rhinos.

The idea is that the Landraiders and Rhinos start on the table and push straight for the toughest 'nut' in the enemy force. At the opportune time, I plop down my Terminators and use the Grandmaster to order a double/triple assault, then pick up the terminators with the Thunderhawks/Landraiders and move on to the next target.

How well will this work in practice? I'm not looking for a force that's going to steamroll people, just something that's themed and fun, but that I can still win games with. Obviously this is a list that will be extremely light on numbers and mobility will depend on good timing and coordination, but will it win games, or just get obliterated every game?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New to the forums, my first try at a 3,000 point list!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi dude nice to see Grey Knights, you got a lot of terminators are you planning on teleporting them on turn one and hoping they brave you opponents wrath and picking up the remains with the thunderhawks. I see you have eight formation activation's this is really too little I would suggest around ten , this gives you flexibility in the game play. Being out numbered by formations means your opponent can run circles around you especially with teleporting, at most your terminators will either break or kill two of your opponents formations with a retain before they are broken or destroyed. An air assaulting terminator formation in a thunderhawk is a powerful thing and your recycling idea can work well, doing a air assault then picking up them up with a second thunderhawk for turn two. Also having some ground flak is very helpful, placing them blast markers on enemy aircraft is really useful and shooting them down even better.

Hope this is useful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm still kinda new to this whole thing. Would it be possible to teleport the Terminators in, and then pick them up in the same turn? To pick them up with the Thunderhawks I have to land them, right? Which means they can be targeted by all ground units. So I really want to activate the Thunderhawks LAST (to minimise the incoming firepower) but that means my Terminators are stranded for a whole turn.

Would it be wise to wait for turn two or three to teleport them in? Let the enemy spread out a bit, then I can isolate and destroy sections of their force with minimal reprisal?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah its possible to pick up formations that teleport (and air assault) if you land your thunderhawk on them and that does make them vulnerable to ground formations and being broken. Waiting for turn two or three works too, of course it it entirely depends on your opponents deployment.