Login |  Register |  FAQ

[batrep] 2k Necrons vs Marines

Post subject: [batrep] 2k Necrons vs Marines
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll be playing on a 4' x 4' table with 2000 points, both sides have one objective in addition to the blitz, and there are four different victory conditions:

Break Their Spirit: You know this..
Take And Hold: You achieve this goal by controlling the objective you place on the opponent's half of the table.
Blitzkrieg: You know this..
They Shall Not Pass: You know this..

Necrons are using the 125-65-65 cost for Monolith formations as suggested in the Necron thread. Marines are trying to use Overwatch as it's been suggested to easilly win the game for marines every time (sarcasm).

Right then, Necrons didn't bother to take any Pylons since they are dropping in on turn 3 and there's no target for aircrafts. That also leaves a nice bunch of points to the important formations:

Phalanx 1 (225)
Pariah (+60)
2 Wraiths (+80)
3 Immortals (+120)
Cost: 485

Phalanx 2 (225)
Pariah (+60)
2 Wraiths (+80)
Cost: 365

Phalanx 3 (225)
Pariah (+60)
2 Wraiths (+80)
Cost: 365

Monoliths 1 (125)
1 Monolith (+65)
2 Obelisks (+70)
Cost: 260

Monoliths 2 (125)
1 Monolith (+65)
2 Obelisks (+70)
Cost: 260

Monoliths 3 (125)
1 Monolith (+65)
Cost: 190

Tomb Complex (75)

Total: 2000

Marines are almost the same as in my previous game except that this time they only have 2000 points instead of 2025 by paying the right amount for the Warhound so that means bye bye Typhoon.

Tac (300)
Razor (+25)
Hunter (+75)
Chaplain (+50)
Cost: 450 - BTS

Dev (250)
2 x Dread (+100)
Cost: 350

Thunderhawk (200)

Land Speeders (200)

Warhound (275)

Scouts (150)
Razor (+25)
Cost: 175

Dev (250)
Razor (+25)
Hunter (+75)
Cost: 350

Total 2000 points

All righty then. Marines get to choose the side of the table and they go for the one with a forest to place the blitz in. Red warlord titan legs are obviously marine objectives and black legs and the 'tomb complex' are necron objectives. I'll be proxying necrons with old IG plastics with rough riders being wraiths etc. Marines are mostly wysiwyg but I seem to have misplaced my warhounds so I'll be using a knight instead and the thunderhawk devs use assault marine stands.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Deployment:

Since it's been pointed out on my previous report thread how the marines should've made a fortress and overwatch the Necrons to pieces and how wonderful tactic it is to make a layered defense with scouts to prevent the Necrons from assaulting the inner formations, I deployed the marines in an all out defense formation around the blitz. Scouts and Land Speeders are placed in garrison creating a ZoC around the blitz and providing blasts from overwatch. Tacs and Devs are hiding in the forest and enjoying the cover saves and Warhound just squeezed in so it can't be picked out. I'm confident that this will be the end of Necrons since Marines have such a great plan!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 1:

Necrons ain't tellyporting so Marines have the table all to themselves. I wasn't quite sure what to do at this point so I just placed the BTS Tacs on overwatch and moved the Devs, Warhound, and Speeders forward while still remaining within overwatch range. Scouts continued their overwatch just in case Necrons would try something (it's somewhat hard to know what the Necron player would do assuming I wasn't playing against myself that is).

Turn 2:

Necrons ain't tellyporting so Marines have the table all to themselves, again. I know for a fact that Necrons are coming on the next turn but what should the Marines do meanhile? Taking a look at the victory conditions, the only reasonable choice was to camp both objectives on the Marine half as they're worth one point each to the Necrons and by having them Marines can force Necrons to attack at predefined points. So how to divide the forces? Some smart person said that by cleverly placing scouts around an objective can easilly prevent the Necrons from taking it so I sent the scouts on the other objective surrounding it with ZoCs from every direction and drove the Devs to sit on top of the objective. Land Speeders made a buffer zone around the Blitz and Warhound ran to the middle of the Blitz and the other objective so that it could go either way. Thunderhawk just waits for something to happen.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 3:

Necrons tellyport monoliths on the table. Monolith group 1 landed near the far side objective but still hiding behind the forest and enough far away anything from breaking it no matter what. Activations will prove critical in this turn so the monoliths can't be broken too early. Monolith group 2 landed behind a forest on the camera side but still close enough to reach the Marine blitz by doubling. Monolith group 3 landed just about 20cms away from the Speeders. Monolith groups 1 and 2 got 1 blast each from tellyporting, rolls were 6, 3, 2, 1 and 4, 4, 4, 1 and 3, 2.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Marines win the strategy roll (5+4 vs 1+5). Devastators sitting on the objective enter overwatch. I knew that Marines had to retain at this point or they would lose one activation in an assault, but I wasn't quite sure which one should do it. Warhound could've doubled and attempted to shoot Mono group 3 and hope to kill one but it would've caused 2 hits on average after doubling and that would lead to 0.5 dead monos. Land Speeders and Scouts could both enter overwatch and hopefully cause blasts to whoever assaults them. Speeder range is so bad that if they're clipped only one or two can shoot back. That leaves the scouts and after rolling 3 they enter overwatch.

So finally the Necrons get to play. Monolith group 1 has a blast and is outnumbered by the scouts 7 to 4 so it's not too smart to assault them. On the other hand it doesn't matter since the scouts could never kill all 4 units. Shooting would be a safe way to give the scouts one blast but that wouldn't take them off the overwatch so assault it is. Mono group 1 rolls 3 and assaults the scouts. Scout Razorback shoots back rolling 2 but causing one more blast marker. Scouts are so spread out that one of them couldn't even reach FF range. That means 4 x 5+, 2 x 6+ and the rolls are 6, 3, 2, 1 and 4, 1 causing one hit (below average of 1.67 hits). Monolith takes the hit and rolls 4 so no luck for scouts (average = 0.42 dead monos). Mono group fights back with 8 x 5+ (assuming a fixed +2FF attacks for monoliths) and the rolls are 6, 6, 4, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1 causing two hits. One Rhino and one Scout take the hits rolling 3 and 2 resulting to two dead units (average from 8 attacks is 2.67 x 0.67 = 1.8 so that's pretty close). Scouts still have outnumber and get +2 from blasts so they have +1 before the rolls. Necron rolls 6, 1 and Scouts roll 6, 2 so monoliths break but remain where they are. Scouts consolidate to prevent assault on devs and they have 2 blasts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Necrons give over the turn to Marines. Marines have Speeders, BTS Tacs, Warhound and T-Hawk left to activate. Speeders enter overwatch and Necrons get to act again. Monolith group 3 sustains on the Speeders rolling 6 and 3 causing two hits. Speeders roll 3 and 1 and come crashing to the ground. I was kinda hoping for one but I can live with two. Speeders have 3 blasts on them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Marines get to act again and BTS Tacs refresh their overwatch and it's Necron turn again. Monolith group 2 rolls 2 and doubles towards the blitz and shoots the BTS rhinos with AT attacks only. Monos roll 6, 3, 2, 2 causing one hit to a Rhino but it rolls 5 and saves. The formation receives one blast for coming under fire though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Necrons give the turn to Marines who have only Warhound and Thunderhawk left. Warhound has two possible monolith groups as targets or it could march and reach the objective on the Necron side of the table. Marching makes more sense since it will give marines one point and prevents the Necrons from getting 'They Shall Not Pass' unless they do something to it (which is impossible due to the way the formations are on the table). It's very unlikely that Necrons could wipe out the BTS and capture Blitz and do something to the hound so march to the objective it is.

Turn returns to Necrons and Phalanx 3 comes out and assaults the single Speeder while making sure there's a Rhino from the BTS Tacs within 15cms. Speeders can't even overwatch due to the only speeder in range being suppressed and they can't counter charge either (the formation wouldn't get into coherency after the move and I'm assuming the two speeders out of range would be destroyed - it wouldn't make sense that the one in combat would be destroyed - I wonder if there's a F.A.Q. answer to what happens in a case like that). Note that I moved the wraiths to the front after taking the photo just so that they can get the possible hit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Anyway, the single speeder rolls 2 and misses. The 7 x 4+ and 1 x 3+ goes as follows: 6, 6, 6, 4, 4, 3 and 2 so that's six hits on the single speeder and it is destroyed three times (6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - woot!). Rhino from the Tac formation rolls 5 and hits the general neighborhood of the Necrons but no luck there. The result is 2 to 1 outnumber, 2 from blasts, inspiring and one kill. So 6-0 for Necrons before and after the rolls (5, 4 vs 5, 1) and the Speeders wipe out. Phalanx consolidates towards the Tacs and the Tacs receive a blast marker from the assault making them have 2.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's Marine turn again and now it's time to figure out what to do with the Hawk. It certainly should do something but I'm not entirely sure what. If it goes to the Necron blitz it can be assaulted from the Tomb Complex and Necrons most likely win any 1 on 1 assaults. If it goes to the Marine blitz it can prevent it from being taken but then the remaining two Phalanxes can go to the other objective. It could engage the Monolith group 2 with a blast marker and intermingle the Phalanx 3 as well but that's somewhat risky and would still allow the two remaining Phalanxes to roam free. One option would be to go for the Monolith group 3 and claim crossfire if the Necrons assault the BTS. It seems that no matter what it does Marines can't win the game with objectives. Landing between the BTS and the monoliths would make it impossible to assault the BTS but then the other objective would be run over. Breaking either monolith formation would be useless on its own but breaking the supporting Phalanx would give a chance to the BTS (small one but still). Only way to do that would require clipping the Monos and intermingling and it would have even odds before any support fires (blasts vs outnumber & inspiring). Since there's no good choice I'll just assault the Monoliths and intermingle the Phalanx in an attempt to break them both.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Necron counter charge leaves pariah and a warrior out of range. Devs shoot at the Phalanx since they die easier than monos. 5 x 4+ and 4 x 3+ go as follows: 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 and 6, 4, 3, 3 resulting to a total of 6 hits. Hits are divided to two wraiths, 3 warriors and lord. One warrior and lord saves (3, 2 and 6, 3, 2 and 4) and one wraith inv saves resulting in 3 kills. Phalanx shoots back 6 times on a 4+ and Monoliths shoot back 8 times on 5+ (assuming fixed +2FF attacks on monos). Phalanx rolls 6, 6, 5, 5, 2, 1 and monos roll 6, 6, 5, 5, 3, 1, 1, 1 resulting in a total of seven hits. All marine units take one hit each. Two marines and both dreads die totaling to four casualties (5, 5, 3, 2, and 2, 1, and 2RR6). The entire Tac formation can support doing 6 x 4+, 2 x 5+, and 3 x 6+ attacks. Rolls are 6, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3 and 6, 4 and 4, 3, 3 causing four hits. They are allocated to 3 warriors and 1 wraith. Wraith and one warrior saves (5, 2, 1 and 5) making kills 5 to 4 for marines. Necrons still have outnumber (4+4 vs 5) and the Pariah is skulking in the rear rank so marines win by one before the rolls. Marine rolls 6 and 5 against the Necron 6 and 2 so Necrons lose by one and break, as does the devastators from the blasts. Wraith dies from the result leaving lord, warrior and pariah left.

Now it's Necron turn to come with their BTS Phalanx and try how tough the Marine BTS is. One brave warrior, wraiths, lord, and pariah assault into B-T-B. Marines shoot 6 overwatch shots rolling 6, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2 causing one hit to the brave warrior and two hits on wraiths. Warrior and one wraith save followed by an inv save from the other wraith (6 and 4 and 3+6). No kills but a blast marker anyway. Marines attack 6 x 4+, 1 x 5+, 3 x 6+ rolling 5, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1 and 1 and 4, 3, 2 - I can hear the people complaining about fixed rolls right about now. Wraith takes the hit and rolls 5 making the assault somewhat bust for marines (should've been 4 hits and slightly less than 2 casualties on average thanks to wraiths). Necrons attack with 8 x 3+, 5 x 4+, 2 x 5+, 1 x MW3+ and 1 x MW5+ rolling 6, 6, 5, 4, 2, 1, 1, 1 and 5, 4, 4, 3, 1 and 5, 3 and 1 and 6 totaling to 8 regular hits and one MW hit. One Rhino explodes from the MW hit and all other marines except the Chaplain take one hit each and two rhinos and razor take the rest (at this point I noticed the Hunter wasn't on the table and rolled 4 for its FF. It can't shoot infantry in overwatch so nothing was missed). Anyway, saves are 6, 4, 3, 3, 1 and 1, 1, 2 - the local emergency number - resulting to 3 dead marines and 3 dead vehicles. Thunderhawk supports with 4, 3, 3 and one immortal dies with the roll of 1.

Kills are 6 to 1 for Necrons, they have 2 to 1 outnumber (11 vs 4), marines had more blasts, and Chaplain and Pariah negate each other. The score is +8 to Necrons before the rolls (4, 4 vs 6, 3) and 6 after, killing the hunter and two marine stands leaving the chaplain alone. The Chaplain falls back followed by the 2 dev units standing 10cms from the combat and Thunderhawk gets a blast.

The result was quite a lot in favor of the Necrons through the dice. The average should've been 3 hits and 1.25 dead after the overwatch shooting. That would've taken out 2 x 3+ attacks and blasts would've been equal. Marines should've done 4 hits and slightly less than 2 kills in the assault plus 0.75 kills from support fire making it 2.75 or 4 in total. In that case Necrons should've made 6 x 3+, 5 x 4+, 2 x 5+, 1 x MW3+, 1 x MW5+ totaling to a 7.2 regular hits and one MW hit. With the way the units were positioned this would've meaned one dead Rhino from macro, 2 other tanks and 2 marines. All other factors were even so 11 - 2.75 vs 10 - 5 leaves outnumber to necrons and 2.25 kills more. So on average marines should've lost by 3.25 even after the overwatch but before the roll.

At the time I was writing this I realised that I may have forgot the -1 to hit for the marines being in cover but then I found out in the master F.A.Q. that it's never used in assaults. Kinda pointless to camp them in the forest against a Necron army that can't shoot too well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's time to bring the Phalanx 2 on the table and beat the hawk to a pulp (Devs are still on the other objective and dead hawk is one less activation on turn 4). Lord and Pariah can't reach the hawk since both nearby monoliths have used their portals (I am assuming each monolith can portal one formation since that's the only reason why I would take more than one of them in a formation) but 5 x 3+ and 7 x 4+ attacks might get the job done anyway (3.33+3.5 hits is not statistically enough but at least this way they don't get shot by the Devs). Hawk rolls 6, 4 and 4 hitting once in CC and once in FF. Wraith and a warrior take the hits both rolling 2 and wraith rolling 2 on inv save as well. Phalanx attacks back with 5 x 3+ and 7 x 4+ rolling 6, 5, 5, 1, 1 and 6, 5, 5, 4, 1, 1 hitting a total of 7 times. Hawk rolls 6, 6, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1 and 5, 5, 4, 2, 1 taking two damage and is destroyed. Phalanx consolidates closer to the monoliths.

End of Turn 3:

Objectives are 1-1. Warhound holds the objective on the Necron side of the table and Phalanx holds the Marine blitz.

Monolith formations 1 & 2 phase out and the Phalanx 3 does the same.

Phalanx 1 rolls 6 (chaplain within 30cms) and regens to full health by repairing the immortal with the lord and removing the only blast.

Broken Chaplain rolls 3 but is still within 30cms from the enemy and ends up taking a 30cms stroll away.

Phalanx 2 automatically regroups since there's no enemies within 30cms and from 2 blasts and 2 casualties brings back 2 casualties by using the lord's screw-driver leaving the formation in full health with 2 blasts.

Broken Devs roll 2 and remain broken.

Phalanx 3 rolls 5 and regroups. It is broken with 3 blast markers so it can bring back two warriors and remove one blast with lord, leaving a formation with 3 warriors, lord, pariah and two blasts. This leads me to a question that if a lord is dead and I bring it back, can I use it's leader ability when I do so..

Scouts automatically regroup and remove 1 of 2 blasts.

Monolith group 1 rolls 6 and regroups leaving it with 2 blasts.

Monolith group 2 rolls 2 and fails to regroup.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Monolith group 1 tellyports between the overwatching Devs and the lone BTS Chaplain (rolls 4, 2, 2, 1). They suffer one blast and are 1 blast away from breaking.

Marines win the strategy roll (5+5 vs 1+1). Situation is kinda tricky since Marines only have Devs, Scouts and Warhound to play with and necrons have 2 monolith groups and 3 phalanxes (one is kinda broken but still good for eating activations). Devs are still on overwatch from previous turn, Scouts are not certain where to go and Warhound is already where it has to be. Warhound enters overwatch in an attempt to prevent Monolith group 3 from doubling at it and contesting the objective.

Phalanx 3 rolls 3 and assaults the BTS Chaplain. Devastators overwatch shoot and roll 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 4, 1 causing 6 hits. All units take one hit and one warrior takes 2 hits. Saves are 3+5, 3, 5, 4, and 6, 3 (lord, pariah, warrior, warrior and warrior) leaving two warriors standing. The Phalanx breaks and the turn returns to marines. This is another time in the game where it's really hard to do choose what to do with the marines. Scouts can break the monoliths but that's no guarantee a phalanx won't come through them anyway and wipe the BTS Chaplain or the Devs sitting on the objective (or both). Scouts can go to the Necron blitz and wait to be assaulted. There are only bad choices and one has to be made anyway. Necrons can get 2 points either by killing the Chaplain and contesting the warhound's objective or by wiping out the Devs and killing Chaplain or contesting warhound. There's very little chance of preventing that no matter what the scouts do. Necrons still have 4 activations after the scouts or three if the scouts break the monoliths but at the same time scouts can't make one more point and it would require either a failed activation or really bad luck or really good luck. If the scouts break the monoliths the Necrons are forced to run into the Warhound's overwatch and there's still a chance for the units to break (and the broken monoliths are more points if the warhound succeeds). So, Scouts roll 3 and double between the Monolith group 1 and the Devs. Razor rolls 3 and misses but the monoliths are broken.

The only way to reach both the BTS Chaplain and the warhound is to double the Monolith group 3 to the Marine blitz and hurl the BTS Phalanx to the other side, and then hope that the Phalanx 2 passes the activation test and doesn't get skewered by the warhound's 2 x MW2+ and 4 x AP3+ shots. I didn't even bother to roll the hits for the Chaplain since it would've died a few times anyway.

Now comes the interesting part, Phalanx 2 has 9 units and 2 blasts. Warhound should cause 1.67 MW hits and 2.67 regular hits on open ground which should be enough to break the formation BUT the Phalanx can contest the objective within the forest and the warhound should only cause 1.33 MW hits and 2 regular hits. The rolls to hit are 5, 4, 4, 4 and 6, 2 totaling 4 regular hits and 1 MW hit. MW goes to a wraith that fails its inv save with a roll of 3. Another wraith and 3 warriors take the regular hits rolling 6, 5, 4, 3 killing one warrior. This leaves the Phalanx with 7 units and 5 blasts.

Necrons win 2-0 with BTS and Blitz. If the warhound would've done one more casualty the game would've been pretty close: (485+190=675) vs (275+175+350=800), 125pts in a 2k game is a tie I think. If the Phalanx would've just sat there the score would've been (485+365+190=1040) vs (275+175+350=800), 240 is probably some minor victory.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thoughts:

I made two stupid mistakes with the necrons, first by assaulting the scouts with the monoliths while being a clear underdog and second when I didn't notice the intermingle with the other monoliths before I was pondering thunderhawk's options. Without the intermingle the thunderhawk's options would've been pretty useless as there is no 'owerwatchy counter-charge ground assault action'. Without these mistakes there would've been a maximum of one broken necron formation at the end of turn 3 assuming the thunderhawk would've assaulted somewhere. These were the two I found out but I'm sure people will kindly point out all the others. As for dice, all the attacks and blast markers etc. can be found for each assault so count the odds if you think some things should've ended otherwise. As for marines I didn't play the Speeders too well since I moved them on turn 1 and then they moved back to where they were on turn 2 and then they entered overwatch instead of advancing and ZoC'ing the monoliths. Probably wouldn't have made any difference except that the Phalanx 3 would've had to come in couple turns earlier to break them possibly saving the necrons from the intermingle.

Anyway, this was nowhere near the smartest way to play the necrons but it just tried to show that while overwatches etc. are nice, the necron player still has the initiative no matter what you do. One of the smaller Phalanxes came down to 2 units thanks to stupid playing while all the the other formations remained in a pretty much pristine condition. This army is still quite easy to play and even when it's fun for the necron player it's not fun for the other guy. It's easy to make blasts on formations just by using the monoliths and then it doesn't matter if they're on overwatch since the blast just nudged the assault result against overwatch by 1, 2 or 3 (from -2 to -1, 0 or +1). Necrons are also too cheap, wraiths and immortals could easilly cost 50 even if wraith would lose one attack - show me some other army that has 40 point units with 2x3+ CC attacks, 4+ save, fearless, inv save, 30cm move and a way to always get to B-T-B in an assault. As a two attack monster it's definitely too cheap. Pariah is funny as well, 60 points for a unit that is better than a marine chaplain in every way and last time I checked, marine chaplains cost closer to 100 points with the unit they're put into. 75 wouldn't be too much for it. Monolith formations would be ok around 300 points/3 without a chance to take those blast buffer obelisks - at least that way armies could attempt to break them and win through activations. It makes no difference if the monoliths are broken if the phalanxes can come through them anyway. There's no need to use their FF support when the phalanxes can win most assaults on their own thus allowing the monolith to eat the enemy activations and preventing any counter-strikes that could destroy the phalanxes. Thunderhawk assault almost did it but that's a 550 points of goodness in the air but having it made the marines have so few activations that necrons didn't even have to bring their BTS before marines had used all their activations.

The Necron rule makes fielding big phalanxes a huge bonus - ie, if a formation of 12 units has 3 dead units and 5 blast markers it will regroup either automatically or on 2+ allowing it to repair all 3 and remove one blast with the lord.

There's no reason to take Pylons (or much of the other options) if playing with a tellyport army. If the enemy has 1k on aircrafts the necrons can just wait until turn 3 and wtfpwn all the enemy ground units minimizing the effect of them. If the enemy has one or two fighter units they can't do any noticeable damage anyway and necrons can just wait until the enemy breaks its 'fortress'. I just think that with these points costs the necrons should lose their ability to double and monoliths should never ever phase out allowing them to be tellyported on the other side of the table after rolling a 3+. Sure the game can be lost by rolling a bunch of 1's and 2's if (a big if) half of the army is broken but I just can't see any other way to win necrons.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting, and seemingly a lot tighter than your last report, and following the rules more correctly. Were you playing against yourself again?

One error I noticed was that you had the phased out formations using the Necron rule to bring bases back. This doesn't happen. When they rally off board they lose all blast markers so cannot bring bases back!