Login |  Register |  FAQ

Attacking into buildings

Post subject: Attacking into buildings
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi I'm just getting back into Epic after a ten year break. I love the work you guys have done and are doing!

I have a bunch of questions though from my recent games, starting with: Can vehicles attack infantry in buildings? Can walkers attack infantry in buildings? If the Eldar Avatar has to attack the closest enemy can he attack infantry in a building (assuming they're against the edge) or does he run to the nearest enemy not in a building?

My initial thought was no to any non infantry CCing into buildings, but then close combat includes short range fire too, so I could imagine that a tank firing into a building at point blank range could cause bit of damage. The avatar could level a whole section of a floor if he swings his sword right through it. And they still get the minus two modifier. That said I'm not married to either way and am interested in how you guys play it.
My apologies if this is covered in the rules and I just missed it.

Long live Net Epic!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Attacking into buildings
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Storm Puppy wrote:
Hi I'm just getting back into Epic after a ten year break. I love the work you guys have done and are doing!

I have a bunch of questions though from my recent games, starting with: Can vehicles attack infantry in buildings? Can walkers attack infantry in buildings? If the Eldar Avatar has to attack the closest enemy can he attack infantry in a building (assuming they're against the edge) or does he run to the nearest enemy not in a building?

My initial thought was no to any non infantry CCing into buildings, but then close combat includes short range fire too, so I could imagine that a tank firing into a building at point blank range could cause bit of damage. The avatar could level a whole section of a floor if he swings his sword right through it. And they still get the minus two modifier. That said I'm not married to either way and am interested in how you guys play it.
My apologies if this is covered in the rules and I just missed it.

Long live Net Epic!

Hi!

Vehicles can usually NOT engage infantry in buildings, unless some special rule applies.

Dreadnoughts CAN engage infantry in buildings.

That said, there is no rule that says you can house rule what you like in. ;) :D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

When you say attack, you mean engage in base to base contact I take it?

If you take a look at page 29 of the Net Epic Gold rulebook, the answer is there ;). See structure characteristics: entering and leaving.

Regarding the Avatar, he would have to advance towards a model inside a building, yes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay, I missed that rule on page 29. Thanks!
So with the Avatar, does that mean you can hold him up for the entire battle by putting infantry in a building where he can't hurt them in hand to hand, and make him stick to the building for the rest of the game?

(Presumably he'd have a half chance of destroying one infantry stand every turn with his spear but that's not much killing for an Avatar).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So far as I can tell, NetEpic still classes the Avatar as infantry. As a result, he can hurt infantry inside a building in close combat both outside the building, and inside the building.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wouldn't get too excited by the Avatar Storm Puppy! He's an annoyance to your opponent, but you'll be lucky if he slays anything more than a stand or two during the whole battle!

You've highlighted a hole in the rules as they stand; I can't see anything that states whether the Avatar is classed as infantry or (as I believed) a knight.

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As far as I am aware, it is the same as the Chaos Primarchs. That is, it's pinning class is Knight, but it moves through terrain as Infantry. I'll see if I can find a rules source for that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Avatar is nowhere near big enough to be classed as a Knight for movement purposes in my opinion. Magnus may well be right about the pinning class though. He is only listed as a special unit, which doesn't make his unit type clear. I'm sure that he'll be classified as infantry, as per SM2, and that's probably why his unit type wasn't mentioned.

Incidentally, I've taken a look in WD173 at the old FAQ for the Avatar from SM2 on page 38. It deals with the whole situation with the Avatar and buildings. It specifically states that the Avatar can enter a building. Also, regarding moving towards the closest target, the Avatar has to be able to see the target for it to count, and will also move around any impassable terrain, or dangerous terrain (e.g. vortex templates, minefields, and so forth).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's helpful. Maybe that should be incorporated into the Avatar rules?

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It may well be. I'll start a new topic.

Topic is here: viewtopic.php?f=153&t=28202