Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tau Army List v 6.5 (Developmental)

Post subject: Tau Army List v 6.5 (Developmental)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is a modified version of the 6.4 army list with some changes, if no problems are found it will be the next approved version of the army list that will go into the next version of the Army Compendium (I assume sometime at the end of this year or early next year).

Although the changes made are quite minor and I would be happy to recommend it for tournament play, this list should be considered developmental for the moment with the official approved version being 6.4.

Also included an updated quick ref sheet.

Attachments:
Tau Third Phase Expansion Force v 6.5 Quick Reference Sheets.pdf [38.46 KiB]
Downloaded 609 times
Tau Third Phase Expansion Force v 6.5.pdf [632.23 KiB]
Downloaded 783 times
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Tau Army List v 6.5 (Developmental)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Stat Changes
Shas'o - weapon name change
Shas'el - weapon name change and slight power reduction to AP5+, points drop to 25
Custodian - replaces a missile salvo with a pin-point
Kroot Hound - gets speed 20cm

Formation Changes
Stealth - points drop to 225
Skysweep - points drop to 250
Protector - replaces Hero

Upgrade Changes
Ethereal - points drop to 50
Drones - upgrade points drop, 2 drones for 25
Fire Warriors - 4 Fire Warriors and 2 Devilfish upgrade points drop to 125
Pathfinders upgrade points drop to 100

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi man did à battlereport using 6.5.

My opponents list had an uphill battle from the start, because he had to little airdefense. Just the one hunter. You can read it here.

Anyways the 6.5 changes affected my play through alowing me to take one more formation than i otherwisw would have, but not in any other way I think.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can't really disagree with many of those changes, though I'd still prefer Expendable on drones instead of super-cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

zombocom wrote:
Can't really disagree with many of those changes, though I'd still prefer Expendable on drones instead of super-cheap.

+1

Also, what happened to the 1+ Init on Stealth idea?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Had another game with 6.5. You can find a batrep in my report thread here, if you want to read it Yme-loc. Same list as last game (can be found a bit further up in the thread).

The points drop haven't convinced me to go back to using stealth suits. I think they would be a much more viable choice with 1+ initiative like others have suggested before.

I fail a lot of initiative test and they usually start with at leats 1 BM, so that's 3+ to activate most likely.

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Borka wrote:
Had another game with 6.5. You can find a batrep in my report thread here, if you want to read it Yme-loc. Same list as last game (can be found a bit further up in the thread).

The points drop haven't convinced me to go back to using stealth suits. I think they would be a much more viable choice with 1+ initiative like others have suggested before.

I fail a lot of initiative test and they usually start with at leats 1 BM, so that's 3+ to activate most likely.

cheers

Thanks for the battle reports.

Regards the question in your last report about the Crisis suits sustaining on the zombies, the answer is you played it incorectly, if you activate the Crisis while they are in base to base with the zombies they are forced to either engage or move out of ZOC.

Also I notice you played your CAP as being allowed to intercept another aircraft formation on CAP, in general this is not allowed although I know quite a few people like to play this as a house rule.

Regards Stealth Suits, Although possibly over cautious for the next version of the list I will be trying them at 225pts. If they are still not a viable option, I will move to looking at Init 1+ for next years review. The Tau list is very points sensitive and even very small cost changes can make a formation a reasonable choice.

My feeling with regards Stealth is it is important not to worry too much about activating the actual Stealth formation and more about putting them in a good defensive position (ie 30cm away in cover) while marking enemy formations which can then be shot by other Tau formations probably using a Co-ordinated fire action (a nice trick here in the early game is to use a Crisis suit formation to effectively hand out Init 1+ to a couple of piranha heavy recon formations).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yme-loc wrote:
Thanks for the battle reports.

Regards the question in your last report about the Crisis suits sustaining on the zombies, the answer is you played it incorectly, if you activate the Crisis while they are in base to base with the zombies they are forced to either engage or move out of ZOC.

Also I notice you played your CAP as being allowed to intercept another aircraft formation on CAP, in general this is not allowed although I know quite a few people like to play this as a house rule.

Ok yeah thanks for that. I didn't think about it at the time for activation, but remembered a turn later that we probably played it incorecctly. Good to know.

As for the CAP the group I played with alow CAPing CAP as a houserule so I played along. It wasn't enough though as you could see.

My own reflections on my tactics after using Tau for about 6 or 7 games is that I need to be better at setting up coordinated fire orders. I fail way to many activation rolls and coordinated fire would probably help a lot (less rolls less fails).

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

New Tau player but can I just ask why the recon groups aren't 5 for 150 points to reflect what you get in the blister.

It seems like a shame that one of the few things still avalible from FW and the blister just does not reflect the army list entry and while FW are unlikly to re-package anytime soon modifiying the list is easy enough?

Hope this has not been covered to death but I did read through and could not find any real reason other than they are cheap enough already...

If not how about changing the upgrade to be individual Piranha's so that it's easier to at least use everything.

Cheers

Kris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kris.Sherriff wrote:
New Tau player but can I just ask why the recon groups aren't 5 for 150 points to reflect what you get in the blister.

It seems like a shame that one of the few things still avalible from FW and the blister just does not reflect the army list entry and while FW are unlikly to re-package anytime soon modifiying the list is easy enough?

Hope this has not been covered to death but I did read through and could not find any real reason other than they are cheap enough already...

If not how about changing the upgrade to be individual Piranha's so that it's easier to at least use everything.

Cheers

Kris

There probably isn't a very good answer to this, its mostly historical and at this stage the effort in changing the formation cost and size and its effects on the list (in terms of balance and playtesting - as the Tau list is very sensitive to points changes and Recon formations are a very important part of the list) just isn't worth it.

Personally I bought four packs which gave me three formations of six and then two left over as spairs for conversions, back up etc. You could buy three packs which gives enough for two full formations and an upgrade option.

Sorry there is no good answer, something maybe to be looked at in any new lists that are developed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A quick rules question as I'm using this list and the Tau for the first time.

Markerlights give +1 to the to hit roll. Seeker Missile can only shoot marked units. Does this mean that Seeker Missiles which are AT6+ become AT5+ ?

I also want to be double certain that Pulse Carbines are a shooting attack and NOT 'small arms'. As I can see myself getting to 15cm opening fire only to be told 'You can't do that!'

Thanks for your help and the Tau list I look forward to using it.

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=152991

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

dubhgilla wrote:
Markerlights give +1 to the to hit roll. Seeker Missile can only shoot marked units. Does this mean that Seeker Missiles which are AT6+ become AT5+ ?

I also want to be double certain that Pulse Carbines are a shooting attack and NOT 'small arms'. As I can see myself getting to 15cm opening fire only to be told 'You can't do that!'

Yes the Seeker missiles gain the +1 so go to AT5+ against a marked target.

Yes Pulse carbines are a shooting attack and give a 15cm AP5+ disrupt shot.