Login |  Register |  FAQ

FlameKrieg/Gears of War

Post subject: FlameKrieg/Gears of War
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As I've mentioned elsewhere, a bunch of the guys at the shop are working on converting some units from Gearkrieg into Flames of War.

So far, I've got an entire company listing written up for the uber-SS troops (I call them the Lost Battalion), and one of the guys has written some stuff for zombies.

What else would you guys like to see?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:55 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I would like to see your stats for the gears.

I imagined them being mostly recon units that had didn't have to take bog test, if in walker mode, and maybe had some advantages in assault from normal tanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, haven't gotten there yet. :blush:

Need to see the GK stats for the gears (and a Panzer II, III, or IV) before I can write the FoW stats, and I'm waiting on the first paycheck from the new job before I take advantage of the deal DP9 is offering.  Hopefully it'll arrive about the 13th, and then the DP9 order will arrive (book rate, so about 2 weeks later).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ehm, if you want i could tell a friend of mine to check the stats, although i don;t remember if the stats for early war tanks were avaible at the rulbebook...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

When doing the stats remember that the old Silhouette never quite  got around the problem that a larger gun always meant more damage, which basically meant that 88L58 gun had more penetration than 75L71, for example. And Wespe was an awesome tank hunter.  :;):

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I figured that as long as I could get armor comparisons between the gears and a couple reference vehicles (Sd Kfz 251, Panzer 3, Sherman, Panzer 4), I'd wing it from there.  A Panzer III M or N is armor armor 6 on the front in FoW, so if it's 18 in GK, a Gear with armor 18 should have armor 6 in FoW.  Fairly simple.

Just about all the weapons should have a Flames of War counterpart already in the system, except the Tesla guns, so it shouldn't be too hard to fit the appropriate guns.  (Or to approximate stats for the Tesla cannons, for that matter).

What scares me is one of the guys is talking about making a 'Ratte' superheavy tank.  You know, the SHT with a cruiser's twin 8"/60cal turret mounted on it.  I keep telling them that I get B29 and B36 strikes (or Lancasters with Tallboys) if they get toys like that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:12 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

All the fun of 1946!!!!  :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Lion in the Stars @ Nov. 08 2006,01:59)
What scares me is one of the guys is talking about making a 'Ratte' superheavy tank.  You know, the SHT with a cruiser's twin 8"/60cal turret mounted on it.

Yeah, I know that one. Just be glad he isn't making a self-propelled Dora (the 80cm railway gun). That was proposed too.  :laugh:

EDIT: oh, and you should show them this.  :laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You know, i was also thinking about the stats for such a monster in FOW. Uhm, maybe someone could try to make a model in 15 mm scale (if only i had enough room at home...)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, wow.  Someone made the Ratte in 1/87th scale.  

Let's see how rusty my German is:  2x 28cm main guns (that's NOT an 8" gun, that's a battlecruiser 11"/60cal, like the Biz or Tirpitz carry), a 12.8cm secondary (stats to follow in the late-war book, I'll just rip them from the Jagdtiger), 8x 2cm FlaK 38s (stats in the Fortress Europe book), and a pair of 15mm Mauser HMGs (same stats as a .50cal HMG)?

Roughly 35m long by 14m wide by 11m high.  Am I reading the last dimension right?  3.6m from bottom of the tank to the ground?

15mm is roughly 1/100 scale... I can build that.  35cm x 14cm x 11cm, 3.6cm ground clearance, in 15mm scale.  Just the thing to scare the Russian T44 'Lenin' SHT off the board (after it chases the Kingtigers off the board)!

Man, that would be nasty!  (Distinctly vulnerable to infantry and air attack, though)

I've seen the Dragon 1/144 Dora gun (at least I think it was 1/144.  May have been 1/72) kit.  That's just NOT right.  32" gun bore... What on earth would that thing shoot, small TANKS at you?

Just makes the need for Priority air support that much higher.  Actually, forget Priority tactical air support, that's grounds for the Dambusters to come play!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

http://www.panzerschreck.de/panzer/pzkpfw/p1000.html for dimensions (in German again).

It seems the 28cm mains were Scharnorst-size (Forgot the Biz had 15" tubes), and she carries a Maus turret on the 'fantail', with the FlaK38s positioned for minimal restrictions to the main gun's arc of fire.

That's still a nasty piece of work!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Lion in the Stars @ Nov. 10 2006,01:47)
15mm is roughly 1/100 scale... I can build that.  35cm x 14cm x 11cm, 3.6cm ground clearance, in 15mm scale.  Just the thing to scare the Russian T44 'Lenin' SHT off the board (after it chases the Kingtigers off the board)!

I think I'll stay with E-100 and Maus, though.  :;): Still, posting pics is madatory if you really do build that beast.  :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Better than that: build it, and publish a tutorial with templates so other crazy people (like ME) can build such a monster :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey, anytime I build something that crazy, I ALWAYS make plans.  It's only a small step to posting a tutorial (once I get a digital camera, that is).

Only one problem:  That's pretty much all the way at the back of the list of things to make and do tutorials for.  I've got three other big projects ahead of the Ratte:  My scratchbuilt 40k Thunderhawk, 3 Lavi-pattern Predators (built off a Merkava chassis), and a 40k Tau Stingray.  Somewhere in there is also painting my Cygnar army, re-doing the 5th Tactical company of Dark Angels in 40k scale, buying and painting the Eureka 15mm "Scifi German Stormtroopers" for the Lost Battalion and the 60+ SdKfz 251 halftracks they need, an Epic Tau army, and the entire Dark Angels Chapter including vehicles in Epic.  (Man, I've got too many expensive hobbies.  Good thing I've got a job that pays well now.)

The THawk may wait, as there's no real rush for it.  The Stingray and Lavi Predators are higher priority, though, as is the Lost Battalion (so that I can actually get some playtime in with a late-war FoW army).  The Epic armies are an ongoing process.

I also discovered that I'd misread one of the dimensions of the Ratte:  it doesn't have 3.6m ground clearance (ground clearance is 'only' about 2m); the tracks are 3.6m wide on each side, made up of three separate track&suspension units each 1.2m wide.  I had a GW track sprue next to me, and it turns out that GW track is right about 10-11mm wide.  Close enough for me! Mwahahahahahahaha!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, ordered my Eureka '15mm Scifi German Stormtroopers' today, and the order for all the halftracks is going in Monday (only about 40, since I decided to not buy a couple platoons to start out with).  The DP9 Books will get ordered sometime in the next week, after I see what my finances look like.  (Thank god for lots of overtime!)

I also lucked out and found issues 3, 4, and 5 of Hellhounds Panzer Cops at a local comic store (not bad for something that's copyright 1994), and asked them to order the other 3 issues (#1, 2, and 6).  I think I need issue #6 for the Kerberos Panzerjager unit story, but I'll take what I can get.

So, I'm two steps closer to FlameKrieg.