Login |  Register |  FAQ

Question from a beginner

Post subject: Question from a beginner
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,
I am new to the epic 40k gaming. I have carefully looked at epic 40k, EA, and NetEpic. I like the netEpic rules the best.
I do have a question. If you have a command stand that is part of a detachment (Like a Squat warlord with 9 combat squads) how does his special command ability work with the res of his detachment?
Do you give the rest of the detachment their own order counter while he uses his own ability or do you ignore his command ability and he uses the order the detachment received? Or does it work some other way.

Also does anyone know where I can buy strip bases like the ones GW used to sell?

Thanks

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Question from a beginner
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

hi

Not sure about the rules there but you can still buy strip bases on the UK GW website. Not sure if your aware but stock is being run down so they might not be around for long ! I don't know if that's the situation in the US. Failing that, just type epic 40k into eBay.

I'm sure some helpful fellow will come along and help you with the rules and probably other proxy base suppliers soon.

Enjoy the boards.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Morholt,

The abilities that an HQ unit have don't apply to the troops in their company. You would order both the HQ unit and any nearby detachments (a seperate order for each).

The only ability a standard HQ unit has is that it can't be targeted unless it is the closest unit of its type.

However, your Squat Warlord isn't a normal HQ unit. As well as the HQ ability, he has Elite, Command and Inspirational abilities.

Elite means you can get a re-roll in close combat once per game (see more on p49 of the main rulebook)

Command ability means that your Warlord can move double, ie charge rate and fire in the first fire segment. So contrary to what I just said about HQ units above, when units have this ability, there is no requirement to place an order.

Inspirational: If your Warlord was within 10cm of one model of the combat squad, the whole unit would get +1 to their morale roll.

Hope this helps! Really glad you mentioned this because I played Space Marine 2 for many years (the basis for NetEpic rules) where all HQs operated with the Command ability and I continue to do this with all of them - which is wrong! I need to get this out of my system!

Welcome to the boards, hope you have an "epic" time here!

PS Sorry about the pun...

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

Last edited by The Bissler on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bissler is a helpful fellow !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dogtrooper wrote:
Bissler is a helpful fellow !

I try DT, I try...

Meantime, I'm in the market some proxy bases myself, anyone got recommendations? Looking for something cheap & cheerful, and hopefully UK or Europe-based to avoid those punitive US postage charges.

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just spotted this on ebay, anyone bought these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2mm-thick-MDF ... d=ViewItem

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, both Dark Realm and Exodus Wars carry bases in their product range. I have not tried any of them. Dark Realm comes in resin:

http://www.darkrealmminiatures.co.uk/st ... php?cat=32

Exodus Wars' ones look like the old GW strips:

http://www.exoduswars.com/Basing-and-Te ... nd+Terrain

Some people use coins

Some people use Fenrisgames' lasercut ply bases (US based):
http://www.fenrisgames.com/shop.html#!/ ... rt=nameAsc

Fenrisgames seems to be willing to modify their bases for your Epic needs (if you need five holes for infantry). Someone on this forum claimed to have done so, and their home page testify to that ambition.

GW is expensive, I would steer away from it. For instance, Exodus Wars bases come at half the price.

/Fredmans

Last edited by fredmans on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers Fredmans, that looks like a very helpful collection of links!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. I am still a little fuzzy about the command stand if it is in a detachment. for ex. A squat Guildmaster and 7 bikers are a single detachment for orders. But the guildmaster has the command ability. How do you reconcile that? Or am I reading it wrong, are the 7 biker stands one detachment and the guildmaster his own detachment?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Morholt wrote:
Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. I am still a little fuzzy about the command stand if it is in a detachment. for ex. A squat Guildmaster and 7 bikers are a single detachment for orders. But the guildmaster has the command ability. How do you reconcile that? Or am I reading it wrong, are the 7 biker stands one detachment and the guildmaster his own detachment?

Thanks

No problem at all - it's the latter, the guildmaster is his own detachment, and as he has the Command ability he needs no orders. But the bikes need to be ordered seperately.

Generally speaking all Command Units are seperate units that can act independently of the company they are attached to (with the Imperial Guard Section HQs being a notable exception, they aren't really HQ units at all except for the purposes of being targeted).

I have to admit that Squat Bike & Trike units are confusing though, as most of the time Command units are bought part of a company, but the Guildmaster is part of a support card. I've always played that he can break away from the unit (ie ignoring the usual coherency rule) but he definitely would count to the break point of that unit if killed.

Perhaps Primarch can clear this one up, he is the person I always defer to when looking for answers!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I'm thinking the guildmaster would act on his own like any other HQ unit unless the specific unit description says otherwise.

Primarch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I can vouch for the EW bases being a dead match

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

fredmans wrote:
Some people use Fenrisgames' lasercut ply bases (US based):
http://www.fenrisgames.com/shop.html#!/ ... rt=nameAsc

Fenrisgames seems to be willing to modify their bases for your Epic needs (if you need five holes for infantry). Someone on this forum claimed to have done so, and their home page testify to that ambition.

Fenris are in the UK, they are based down in Kent.
I was the one who asked them to make the round ones with 5 randomly placed holes in which several people have started using. Someone else asked for rectangular and another asked for hexagonal and they have since added them all to their shop. The Fenris guys are very easy to talk to and will custom make whatever design you want (so you can ask for 2, 3, 4 or more holes or other variations), plus they also do discounts for the more you buy.

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Hi Morholt,

The abilities that an HQ unit have don't apply to the troops in their company. You would order both the HQ unit and any nearby detachments (a seperate order for each).

The only ability a standard HQ unit has is that it can't be targeted unless it is the closest unit of its type.

However, your Squat Warlord isn't a normal HQ unit. As well as the HQ ability, he has Elite, Command and Inspirational abilities.

Elite means you can get a re-roll in close combat once per game (see more on p49 of the main rulebook)

Command ability means that your Warlord can move double, ie charge rate and fire in the first fire segment. So contrary to what I just said about HQ units above, when units have this ability, there is no requirement to place an order.

Inspirational: If your Warlord was within 10cm of one model of the combat squad, the whole unit would get +1 to their morale roll.

Hope this helps! Really glad you mentioned this because I played Space Marine 2 for many years (the basis for NetEpic rules) where all HQs operated with the Command ability and I continue to do this with all of them - which is wrong! I need to get this out of my system!

Welcome to the boards, hope you have an "epic" time here!

PS Sorry about the pun...

I use all old HQ units still as HQ units(command&HQ) cause to seperate each will cost time and is confusing.
this one may not be targeted, this one can move and fire during first fire, this one too but you can target it.

It´s hard to include all these "small" rules at once.

For example I played up to 12 battles with the Squats forgot about the 212 re-roll every battle.
OR I forgot the Marines Savingthrow+5(too good like a light tank should be 6fixed) every battle.

I try now to include snap fire(for every unit) but I am still not sure if I like it-
Also to keep track of which unit is Elite and which not is difficult.
What works well since I use it is the rule: that you HVE TO attack any unit in the attacked detachment in CC before you can double one<<<very good rule

Also the enter and leave 5cm penalty if entering or leaving a transport vehicle is GREAT and gives the whole game a push.

and so on and on I think it will take years befor I have adapted the whole new rules released with Netepic Gold :)

BTW what happens to units which´s (air)transports got destroyed during an airborne landing.
for example a detachment of valkyries transports some Inf. if it´s destroyed via snapfire do get the troops inside a bail out roll?
Are they still in the air when destroyed or just landed?