Login |  Register |  FAQ

New 1/285th Range of Mecha - Thoughts Wanted

Post subject: New 1/285th Range of Mecha - Thoughts Wanted
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've got a couple sculptors ready to go, I've got a caster lined up, nd I've got a rough idea of the sort of mecha I want to produce. But I'd like thoughts and comments. The intent is to have a new range of mecha models in 2 types, there are Multi-Role Fighters (MRF's) which are transformable units like LAM's and Veritechs from Robotech. The second style are Combat Armors which are just your standard giant robot, all the mecha will use a ball and socket joint system like GW and all the parts will use the same size fitting. The intent is to allow people to buy the mechs they want to build the way they want. I hoping to launch a Kickstarter to get everything payed for in the near future.
My question though is, what sort of parts do you want to see, go a head and drop reference pics, I'll take a look and use parts I think will work well as stretch goals. Also, what do you need to see before your money would go into the kickstarter, just pics of the sculptors previous works, or would I need pictures of the sculpts I am intending to sell?

Finally, here is a picture of the first MRF fighter, I found this art, contacted the artist, and he agreed to let me use it for producing and selling of a miniature.

Right now I am looking at a roughly $4k Goal at about $10 per figure (MRF is three figures), what do you guys think?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New 1/285th Range of Mecha - Thoughts Wanted
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think you might be in for some serious competition with the Robotech Kickstarter. That is going to seriously cut into your potential customer base.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

on the other hand, there's 4803 people who've already shown an intrest in collecting small scale mecha...

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madd0ct0r wrote:
on the other hand, there's 4803 people who've already shown an intrest in collecting small scale mecha...

You're right, but how many of those will have that itch scratched by Robotech? I'm not saying that a market doesn't exist, just that it's currently clustering around an existing property.

That being said, this could always appeal to the Battlletech crowd - someone needs to step up and help those poor players with their horrible looking minis... ;D

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like this! I'd suggest a small amount of distance between each kickstarter but this is great!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It would be June at the very best before I launched. And saying that Robotech fills this area is like saying that GW has 28mm sci-fi covered, no need for anyone else. there is always room for more minis.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lotus wrote:
It would be June at the very best before I launched. And saying that Robotech fills this area is like saying that GW has 28mm sci-fi covered, no need for anyone else. there is always room for more minis.

I wasn't saying that there isn't room - I was just saying that you've got competition taking away potential customers.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Its possible I'll lose some potential sales from it. On the other hand Robotechs success brings new interest to 6mm gaming. A lot of the backer seem very frustrated by the lack of choices that Robotech presents. No macross mecha past the basics. 2 factions. A lot are looking at Battle tech figures and such to help fill the gaps and create custom units.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That is true - you could certainly step up and grab the niche that wants the style of mech from the later Robotech series.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

berzerkmonkey wrote:
That is true - you could certainly step up and grab the niche that wants the style of mech from the later Robotech series.

Palladium has got that covered, too. With their $1,000,000+ kickstarter campaign, they are going to cover all Robotech series.

I know they have some money from me that I couldn't afford to spend. Oh well.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I won't be doing anything directly based on a copywritten design. So, no Invid, no Bioroids, none of that from me. Also as Robotech intends on releasing those i feel no compulsion to try them.
If you wanted to use stuff I was doing with Robotech I'd suggest either they are old model Destroids, or new models that were developed on the SDF-3 while it was away, or put on a colony ship, that sort of thing.

Regardless, my figures should scale well with any 6mm forces and are not meant to be replacing just Robotech. Sure the art I have is a transformable fighter, but that's because I found the art loved it and the guy let me use it. Other stuff will be more traditional mecha, though with a more anime flavor than we commonly see.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:41 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

First up, I really like your designs. More 'Macross 7' than SDF, but that is definately a good thing to me.

However, I do think that the comments in this thread make a point. I think that you need an additional selling point. Right now, you have a similar approach to the Robotech KS project, but you dont have the nostalgia and 30 years of background that Macross has.

Do you have any plans to branch out from just jets, and maybe start including tanks with the same three mode design? A set of mecha that could take the form of tanks, walker-tanks and bots would be awesome, and would give you a different angle from Macross/Robotech which is firmly entrenched in jets. I am a huge Macross fan (I have a large 1/60 scale collection) but I would be more interested in a wargame which went beyond jets that were transformable.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I also intended to do a multi-part series of normal mechs with interchangeable parts. I didn't intend for those to be transformable as I couldn't really see the logical need for it.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:32 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Lotus wrote:
I also intended to do a multi-part series of normal mechs with interchangeable parts. I didn't intend for those to be transformable as I couldn't really see the logical need for it.

Like Destroids? ;)

I dont want to come across as 'down' on the idea, as I really like the train of thought. Keep us informed on where this go, as I really do like the designs.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's like saying that Gundams are like Destroids ;) I actually want to do some tank legs, but they still wouldn't transform, they'd just be tanks treads from the waste down, I'd probably do up some turrets as well at that point so you can have them be retrofitted in a variety of ways.

Anyways, I am trying trying to hunt down a concept artist right now that will work with me and help me get prepared. One question i do have is such. Let's say I get my concept art all done, and I have sculptors lined up, would you back a kickstarter without the figures being sculpted yet so long as you could see the sculptors previous work?