Login |  Register |  FAQ

'Ere Ladz, I'm guna go to Waagh

Post subject: 'Ere Ladz, I'm guna go to Waagh
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Now lissen ere boyz.  Dem uumiez and da beakies r gettin demselves toogevver an armee.  Dey iz tellin uvvers 'ow ta raise der troops, an wot colurz to giv 'em.  An da uvverz R givvin advize back.

Well I fink dis stinks.  I fink uz boyz can do it much betta.  cauz every Orkziz knowz dat wez iz much tuffa dan dem.  So, I'z gunna 'av a go.  Wiv yu boyz givvin me a help, I will raise da biggest an da bestest armee dat dem uumiez az evva seen.

*phew*  That's hard work typing like dat...erm ....that.

With T.S. making up an Imperial Guard army, and C.S. doing a Marine army,  I thought it only fair that the Orks get some limelight.

Now I have a good digi camera, I will have the motivation to get stuff ready.  Especially since i want to get an army together for teaching the game to others with.  And people will be more interested of they are watching a painted army, rather than a grey and silver one.

At first, since the Ork list is still under going revisions, I'm planning on getting together bits that will definantly feature.  When the list is finalised, I can then increase mob sizes to suit, or add more units.

I also think it will be best to start from scratch (as much as possible) to show the progress.  So, I'll cut out all new plastics, create the mobs, and take a pic of it all before painting begins.

This means I need a painting scheme, a way of doing the base (and more models I guess too  :L   ).

I would appreciate any help that can be offered in all aspect of this.  From painting, basing, conversion ideas to taking pics, lighting etc.

I'll make a start tonight...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

SH,

Works for me.

I recommend you do one of the Ork tribes that we don't hear much from like the Death Skulls, Blood Axes or Snake Bites... maybe a combination grouping of all three!

The E-A Snake Bites have all kinds of good stuff.

There's some real potential for the Death Skulls and Blood Axes too!

I must be off to work, but I can give more advice / direction later with a little guidance as to what you'd like.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks, I'll gladly take on any advice offered.  I actually really like the death skulls anyway, and have been experimenting with colour schemes already.

They came out a bit, uh.  (see my other thread called Shadow has go at epic, or something like that. It's the stompas I'm on about).

Basically, though, I didn't want any red or yellow colour schemes.  These seem to be quite popular already.  The only exception will be any KoS's, which will have a little splash of red for obvious reasons.

Blood Axes are another I dont mind, and I have some Squiggoths so some Snakebites could be squeezed in.

I want to make a force that can be used for when EpicA is released, however.  As I will be teaching a couple of guys who have never played epic, I dont really want to be in a position where I'm using 'this count as' situations.  So I'm a bit unsure of doing any Feral Lists.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do you have an army list planned out for this force? I think that is the first step....aim for about 4000-5000pts, and try to fit it into what models you already have.

Thats my advice for getting started!

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:29 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I agree with you about the 'standard' stuff, I am in the same situation. As my Marine force will be used in a variety of situations, it is best to stick to the core lists, and keep everything as official as possible.

I would go with the Goffs, but that is just me. Alternatively, come up with your own standard clan. My advice is not to think about the entire force at once, it is depressing.

Basing is something that I am not sure about either. I have never been comfortable with it at this scale. I have a few ideas, but nothing definite yet.

Great, another 'building' thread. This is all getting interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Chris @ 06 2003 Nov.,16:24)
Do you have an army list planned out for this force? I think that is the first step....aim for about 4000-5000pts, and try to fit it into what models you already have.

I think I'll start with a 2000pt list first.  That way it wont sound as daunting.  Once completed, then I'll enlarge ti at about 1000pts at a time.

It wont include any war engines or flyers though.  As it's a training force, I want it to be basics first.

Originally posted by C.S.

I agree with you about the 'standard' stuff, I am in the same situation. As my Marine force will be used in a variety of situations, it is best to stick to the core lists, and keep everything as official as possible.

Exactly.  I think I will stick to the core list (when it's finally released  :L   ) and just use my own colour scheme.  This way they can be whatever I want them to be (Death skulls, Blood axes etc).

Goffs are very common too, so I dont want to do those either.  It's one reason I dont use checks on my figures.  I want to create something different, and try and inspire others to create their own clans etc.

For the bases I'm thinking I need a light colour (I tried mud and it simply did not work).  Green is out, as A) I've done it in the past and B) the Orks are already green, it maybe too much.

This leaves sand, urban (light grey) or other.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have Warbands for all 6 major clans/ tribes, based on SM1 templates. But my advice still stands, don't start building any army unless you know what system you are going to use ... ie. E-A is still a bit, "under construction", IMO ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Shadow Hunter @ 06 2003 Nov.,16:40)
For the bases I'm thinking I need a light colour (I tried mud and it simply did not work). ?Green is out, as A) I've done it in the past and B) the Orks are already green, it maybe too much.

This leaves sand, urban (light grey) or other.

If you're looking for some speed, Id advise go with desert sand.
1) It fits in with Armageddon
2) Its dead easy to do
3) It means I can track you down for a game sometime (just like I want to with so many players on the board) and we'll have armies that both match the table  :D

What you need to do:
Get some builders sand. I use "sharp" sand since it almost always has a good orangy colour.
Dry it out. You'll find its kind of damp, so I put batches in the oven on low heat for an hour to dry it thoughrally.
Paint the model
Undercoat the base
Glue on the Sand
Drybrush it directly with Bleached bone.

real easy  :D

http://hobbybrush.blogspot.com - My Hobby Blog
TuffSkull's notepad- My Old Blog on Wargames Wiki.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:42 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

The pdfs with the final ork changes incorprated should be in the vault on Monday, so that should help.

I vote Dethskullz.  They would be my next choice for an Ork clan.

You know, if I had a reason to make a 4th Ork army (Bad Moons, Speed Freeks, and Feral). :p

If I ever make a 40K ork force, it will definitely be Dethskullz.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll back Tuff up here- desert bases are really easy to do and look great- much better than simple flock imo; I paint them Bestial Brown before drybrushing Bleached Bone, but do whatever suits you... :;):

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

paint the Orks how you like and ignore the Clans (heretic I know)...

:D

My advice would be is to start off with a simple paint job and then  do lots of detail later.

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/phoepic2.html has a few pictures of my Orks

My painting is relatively quick and reasonably effective.

It was done by undercoating in white, painting in the black parts          and the crew. The black sections were then drybrushed with Tin Bitz and then lightly drybrushed with an alumnium coloured paint.
of the model was then painted red and given a light chestnut          ink wash.

The details of the crew were then picked out, green flesh with some highlights in yellow, alumnium coloured weapons and brown accessories.

However for some vehicles they were undercoated in black and then as per above.

Now I know it is not as good as some Ork painting I have seen.

However my method is a good starting point and once you have your force painted you can then add the detailing (as above) when you have the time.

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Nice pictures!

I painted my mekboy vehicles like that too.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You know the idea's with sand, and drying it out, would it work for texturing of larger areas, eg scenery? It's just I need a way of texturing my proposed city boards without spending loads on GW sand and flock.

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Buy GW sand?! ...Dear me.... yeah, sure the builders sand will work.. I've never bought GW sand- who wants to pay ?4 or however much it is for something you can get for free or a tiny fraction of the cost...

Yeah, anyway, get yourself some cheap sand, a big brush or three, PVA your sand down, seal it on, then spray your terrain black, and drybrush.. voila!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thats the plan Stormseer! I guess I am a bit of a GW tool, as I bought a bag of GW sand once....It's still unopened....

Cheers

Chris