Login |  Register |  FAQ

White Dwarf #189 Query.

Post subject: White Dwarf #189 Query.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm just wondering is WD issue #189 the one with the Heretic Battle Report or is that issue #187 ?

Thanks in advance. :)

Haarken

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

187, pg. 44 ... just checked my "Black Library" archives !  :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Guys,

What is this "Heretic Battle Report" you're talking about?

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

"Heretic" was a 40k battle report with a whole host of Space Marine and (Rebel) Imperial Guard tanks battling it out with each other, it was the very first issue of White Dwarf that I ever picked up and it was the thing that got me into 40K.

Unfortunately when I moved house I lost all my White Dwarfs including a huge collection of back issues (from before I started collecting). I was just wondering which WD it was from before I contacted GW.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, more AFVs then should be used in a 40K game - it should have been an Epic game ! :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Legion 4 @ 10 2003 Sep.,05:10)
Yes, more AFVs then should be used in a 40K game - it should have been an Epic game ! :D

Too few AFV's for epic... but it was a rediculous amount for 40k.... but I enjoyed every word of it  :p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It would make a good mini-game for Epic, unless you believe that "All Epic should be played by Divison level units" ! ?:laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Legion 4 @ 10 2003 Sep.,21:27)
"All Epic should be played by Divison level units" ! ?:laugh:

Divisions are too small for me, I want Entire Corp's  :;):

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well ... go for it !  But it may take you some time to play and complete ?  ???  :laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I once fielded 3 entire Space Marine Chapters at the height of my  Epic madness... was good fun but it took forever to move all the various detachments... in the end it took us over a week to actually finish the game and it was so large we just guessed that it was a draw.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, we played a modified SM1 6000 point game. ?It took days, and was fun, but we figured 3-4000 point battles were just as much fun and more reasonable all around. ?But "to each his own" ... ?:;):

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I remember that report, it was the last couple of WD's I bought (last one being 191). There were tons of APC's and men. It really looked like an epic game being played in 40k mode.

It what I was pointing out in another thread about some 40k going overboard and buying stuff on a scale way out of proportion with what is regularly played in such again.

Then again, who am I kidding, with over 500k, I too commit the same infractions.... :{

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I once fielded 3 entire Space Marine Chapters at the height of my  Epic madness... was good fun but it took forever to move all the various detachments... in the end it took us over a week to actually finish the game and it was so large we just guessed that it was a draw.

Ah, what fun!  :)

I'm somewhat of an expert on "huge games" having organized quite a few for conventions and store participation games. I always hear they take so long to finish, but that was never my experience. Did you play these large games "one on one", that may explain the lengthy time.

I always coordinated such games to be with multiple "generals" on each side, I would generally just referee such events and keep them going forward. Most game took between 8-10 hours to play start to finish. The game were about 30k - 40k per SIDE.

The issue was more set up time. I usually had to set up the day before. It was too much to do in one day.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Yes, we played a modified SM1 6000 point game.  It took days, and was fun, but we figured 3-4000 point battles were just as much fun and more reasonable all around.  But "to each his own" .

I think 4000 point games were pretty much the "norm" in most groups I came accross. Although in my original group 6000 point games were the standard and 4k battles were viewed as "lite" games. At the end of that groups run the games were growing to 7-8k, which I consider to be the "max" for a standard 4x6 table without being too crowded.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We usually only had one or two players per side.  And playing on a 5x6 table, it was not crowded and left room to maneuver at 2000-4000 points.  When there are too many forces on a table, it goes from a battle of fire and movement to a linear battle of attrition.   But some guys like attrition, I prefer maneuver ...  :;):