Login |  Register |  FAQ

Any Tau Titan Ideas?

Post subject: Any Tau Titan Ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Update:

The discussions have really reved up. Most seem to think (and try to justify from a fluff point of view) that Tau shouldnt have titans. However and idea that has evolved from this that "knight classed" units are more in keeping with thier doctrine of battle and a debate of what proxies to be used is now being discussed.

Whether they be knights or full titans, there definitely seems to be a desire of adding more "homegrown" units. :;):

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You can write your own fluff.

I find it interesting that most people have a perception that the Tau would not have Titans. Where does this perception come from? From what Jervis said and the Tau Codex and GW fluff.

You can write your own fluff.

Seriously you can follow GW fluff that's okay too. Sometimes it can be useful to think out the box.

So where am I coming from?

In my mind the only race that should have walking war machines are the Tau. To me they are anime and that to me means Battletech type war engines.

I like the big flying things as well.

If I was going to make a Tau Titan I would use a 40K Battlesuit and give it epic scale weapons.

To some people this will look out of place, but only in their heads, as they will have probably read Codex Tau, if they have never seen the Tau before it will just look cool.

As for Gargants, they don't walk they just lumber, so Orks can have Gargants.

:p

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Your preaching to the converted here.... :;):

I have always wanted (and done) new, divergent fluff for netepic. I'd rather come up with our won "thing" anyday that just be spoonfed by GW.

Oddly, even for a rebellious bunch like Netepic people, there is a AMAZING amount of resistance to adopting different fluff, even GW (past versus present) are subject to ferocious debates.

I'm pretty much decided I'm stiking some Tau titans in there, but also like the idea of knights too, so there is room for both.

After all, its as much fun to play the game as it is too much up your our units anf fluff.

I will continue my assault..... :D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, as always, do what works for you ! However, I was never a fan of knights, the only ones I have are Chaos or converted to the dark side/Chaos. :D  And I'm only passively or marginally a Titan/Gargant fan, but I do have them in my forces (even if they are a ridicules concept !), they do have weird sort of appeal. :p   I guess that is why I like the SM1 25% rule and in most battles, we never used them at all. The Tau way of war (IMO) is mobile, hi-tech, infantry and armor teams working together with a lot of CAS.   Titans are "old school", like Battleships.  The feel of the Tau to me, is more modern, hi-tech, not like most of the (older) armies with walking 60ft targets.  So like the Squats, the Tau don't use Titans, it makes them different, not like the other older races ...  But again, it's just my opinion, do what works for you !     :;):

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm with L4 on this one :D I've never seen the Tau codex and in fact know very little about them, same with the Necrons, I guess I'm just 'SM1/SM2 old school' :laugh: so I don't think I'm influenced by any GW fluff, I wonder where the preconception comes from? the only thing I can think of is seeing modern armies at work on TV.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In my case, I just like the idea of the Tau being different - I think of the suits being a concept which they tried, and which succeeded, but in their case they decided real big fliers would do a better job on the larger scale of things. But I don't really mind the existence of Tautans, although I'm a bit conservative... with Squats in IG, loads of Ordinatii rather than one, plans for a genestealer infested Titan.....and dreams of a Ratling army.  :p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I too like the difference TAU and necrons have brought to the 40K setting; I'd like the Tau equivalent of a titan to be a flying/skimming machine (Manta variant, and some smaller WE to fit something like a reaver role, or that of a scout titans/WE), and i'd personally quite like the idea of a gigantic multilegged insect-like monstrosity for the necrons. Something spider or scorpion like, or maybe an ugly worm shaped machine that would emerge from underground to consume Souls for the C'tans; that would fit with the "undead" theming they got since their appearance.

Athmos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:52 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Have to say I'm with the majority on this one, and against Tau titans - difference and diversity rather than yet another army squeezed into the 'titan' mold.  Tau have Mantas, they don't need giant anthropomorphic robots same as all the other races.  One off games using 40k tau battle suits sounds ok, but I'd hate to see these things part of official lists, even in netepic  (rather imperialistic of me to want that considering I haven't played SM since 199? :D :p ).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes; the way it sets them apart makes the Tau more interesting as a concept...

Why not come up with a Manta variant with a huge centreline railgun mount for real titan killing power? (some tasty conversion potential in this idea in my opinion)!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

All the stuff thats been thrown around on the list is optional, so we can indulge ourselves in making up wierd stuff and then discard it if its not up to snuff.

While "fluff" is one thing, what about game balance? Does the Tau have good enough weapons on non-titan units to deal with titans realistically?

Another issue to ponder....

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

But game balance could be solved by using an idea like mine above, which keeps to the fluff and would add a serious titan killer weapon, without trying to bung in a titan just for the sake of having a titan...
Massed railgun hammerheads must do some good against their heavy armour as well! :;):

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Although, my T&K are SIB (!) :{ , I think the Tau Air Force could deal with a Warlord. ?And we still use SM1 off board support rules (ie. Tau space craft in orbital bombardment roll). ?So I could be wrong, but if I were playing T&K and my opponent was using 25% of his TBFL on a Titan, a Manta would be on my OOB ! ?Plus some off board support. ?Has any one took on a Titan in a Tau vs. IG/SM/Ork/Eldar game ? ??? ?We need some AARs from the field ! :;): ?Again, in my mind, Titans/Knights (knight IMO are the worst models ever done for Epic - SM1/SM2/TL, etc.!) ?are like battleships, "old school", but still may have "some" use (targets to draw fire before they become buring wrecks by turn 3 (!) and take the other guy's titan with him ! ) ! ?:cool:   So for you "old Navy types", with Titan fever, I say "Bring it on" !  :laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have always thought that Necrons should have huge monoliths of varying sizes.

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, my last post was ironical, now the real one.

For me Tau shouldn't exist at all, they are Anime People in a Goth Universe, a thing utterly wrong for me.

But thanks to God the key is "for me", I don't like Tau so I don't play them, but never thinks that if someone likes them should not use them, and I'll accept any challenge from Tau's player   :D

So the reasoning is the same for Titan, if people like Titan so let them have Titan with an anime feelings, what's wrong?

But there a precise limits, people who like to play with the GW universe and only with GW fluff are not slave or stupid, and should have the same respect of more "free" oriented people, after all this is a game, without fun what game is?

Enjoy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

One member suggested just that L4, to make special air caste and Orca units that had a heavy anti titan role.

We'll give it a whirl.... :;):

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules