Login |  Register |  FAQ

Man o'war

Post subject: Man o'war
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know that this post may be regarded as stupid and naive, nonetheless I ask: does anyone there know if and when GW or any other miniature company plan to reprint Man o'war or any similar fantasy seabattle game?
I know that Excelsior Entertainment is planning to publish a miniature game of fantasy naval combat in 2006, and the title should be something like "waves of blood". But what about the original Man o'war?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi again NK,
I'm afraid not - there were some plans to present Man o'War as an extension to Warmaster, but nothing has materialised, and given the support SG has at the moment, I doubt this will ever happen. Pity - MoW is one of my favourites. :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No plans to do anything about MOW. Or if there are, they're so secret not even a "rumor" has leaked out. Since the Warmaster Extension Vanvlak already mentioned.

Yes, that's a pity. Especially since I recently got hooked and spent far greater amount of money than any sensible person would on minis & rules on eBay.  :blues:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Would it be difficult to adept warmaster for ships? I thought there was an article in their downloads section that dealt with assaults from ships...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Serps @ 22 2005 Mar.,03:12)
Would it be difficult to adept warmaster for ships? I thought there was an article in their downloads section that dealt with assaults from ships...

hi Serps,
if I remember correctly that was about boarding actions, movement etc.; Man O' War includes manoeuvering entire fleets, shooting, boarding, capturing stuff, sea monsters coming up from the depths, winds changing and making a mess of your plans unless you're into paddlewheels, etc.
But I must check that article out. I've no problem, as I have the full rules - what I don't have are opponents!  :(
What GW need to do is make these old games available in pdf format for downloading - but I somehow don't think they would. You'd still need models, and as they themselves don't have any in production, I doubt whether they'd publish it online. I wonder, though - would Jervis.....?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wonder, though - would Jervis.....?

Jervis probably would. Unfortunately he hasn't got any power over the matter.  :(  If it was up to people like Jervis the Epic archives would still be up and running.  :{  :blues:  :angry:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, lines such as Manowar and Mighty Empires were on sale in the online shop of GW USA but then they let out a short update about the fact that the original molds were destroyed beyond repair and therefore no further model for those lines was to be sold anymore. Too bad!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Norman Knight @ 22 2005 Mar.,14:45)
Well, lines such as Manowar and Mighty Empires were on sale in the online shop of GW USA but then they let out a short update about the fact that the original molds were destroyed beyond repair and therefore no further model for those lines was to be sold anymore. Too bad!

I know of the late archives (that's how I got my IG dropship, PSI titan and Exodites) and I've heard that explanation. However, being the sketical person I am I find it very hard to believe that every single Epic and MOW mold disintegrated at the very same moment. Especially the Exodite and PSI titan part molds which had not even been used before as the models were never officially published.  :oo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The moulds never failed. The overwhelming majority of them, anyway. Those which got destroyed were destroyed before the shutting down of the archives and were already well known (i.e. beetle warlords).

The archives (all of them, not just MOW or Epic) were shut down due to their economic unfeasibiity for GW to mantain.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: First star to the right, and straight on till morning.
I don't buy the feasibliity bit, either...they continue to have the archives for the other systems, do they not?  With Internet ordering, all you have to do is make a run of whatever item it is then move on to the next mold.  If there weren't any of a particular bit availible, that is what it would tell you when you tried to order it.

Simplistic, I know, but I just don't think economics had that much to do with the decision...

:(

my 2cents,

iblisdrax

"Hallo. My name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

But the other systems (40k and WHFB) have a much larger player base, so the archive for them will sell far more models- enough to make a profit, which is unlikely to be the case for Epic, sadly.
Mordheim and Necromunda have bitz available, but they are interchangeable with 40k and WHFB parts, so will still sell well- Inquisitor needs bits available, or everyone would have to buy stock models, or be very good with Greenstuff! :;):

GW does not see the same need with Epic, BFG and Warmaster- the desire to keep down the number of product codes per range has been mentioned by Jervis- having shelves full of parts, and people being paid to pick them, etc, all adds up to a cost that is too high if GW are only selling a few each week.
If you cast on demand, this would also be expensive; finding the right mould from the archive, setting it up ready to be spun, pouring the metal all takes time; and remember that each casting will result in a _set_ of the bits, not just one item; if the person only wants one part, the rest of them will have to be stored, labelled, given a code, warehouse location, etc etc.

I would love to have the archive back, but in the current light it seems a very remote possibility. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It would be interesting to know just how well the US archive and the components available from GW UK til a few years ago did; were they profit-making? If so, I am talking rubbish, and GW are fools for not making more money off us!  :p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (stormseer @ 24 2005 Mar.,13:59)
It would be interesting to know just how well the US archive and the components available from GW UK til a few years ago did; were they profit-making? If so, I am talking rubbish, and GW are fools for not making more money off us!  :p

Remember, making money it's not enough. You need to make enough money for it to be worthwile.

As you said, there are costs to be paid and resources to be allocated for having an archive service. You need to keep track of all those codes, their stock levels etc. This is going to cost you both in storage space and manpower. If GW accountants established that this same manpower could be more efficiently allocated in higher-revenues duties, the archive could have been axed even if showing a profit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Indeed...
I blame all the epic players for not buying enough from the archive personally. :;):

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Whatever the cause, it's too bad - just three weeks ago I acquired a copy of Mighty Empires... and I really would have liked those damn necropolises...