Login |  Register |  FAQ

Help decide my IG paint theme...

Post subject: Help decide my IG paint theme...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:27 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Hello All,

I've been debating for some time now how to paint up my IG epic force.  The decision has the double impact because my IG 40K force will be painted to match the epic minis.  So there are two sets of miniatures at risk here.  :)

So today I decided to paint up some test cases and see how each one came out.  I used some Battletech tanks miniatures for this experiment.  For those that know battletech it is the Ontos tank, without the laser barrels.  I figure why glue them.  It is roughly the same size as a new style Land Raider.  

I didn't paint any details like tracks, barrels, or unit markings.  I wanted to concentrate on the base schemes.  

So I would like each of you to select which one you like most, or dislike the least.    ???  

This was also my first experience in painitng camo patterns.  Normally I paint Dark Angels so I don't have to worry about it.  Hopefully I'm ready to move into this new painitng territory.  Please let me know how you think the camo came out.  

Here is the run down of the nominess.  All tanks where primed black.

(1) Brown Grey

I discovered I really like the new graveyard earth color.  So I decided to use it as a base color.  I did a heavy drybrush of graveyard earth followed by camo striping in codex gray.  It was then hit with a black wash.

(2) Grey Camo

I was trying to go for a molted (is that the right word) grey camo pattern.  I mixed codex grey and chaos black to make a darker base grey color.  I drybrushed this dark gray base color on and then started to apply a loose camo pattern with codex grey and fortress grey.  Unlike the other camo pattens which where stripes; this was just dabbed on using the tip of the brush,  Considering I didn't know what I was doing it came out rather nice.

(3) Steel Legion

This is my attempt at the classic steel legion look. A solid base of codex grey was applied.  I didn't drybrush this color.  I thined it down with water and applied it in mutliple coats.  I then hit it with a black wash.   I did the camo first in snakebite leather and then with bleached bone over the first color.

(4) WWII

To all you historic tread heads out there this one is for you.  This scheme was to duplicate the camo pattern found on late war German vehciles from WWII.  First I drybushed a base coat of scorthed earth.  Second, I did a heavy drybrush of Desert yellow.  This gave it the base yellow look most people are familar with.  I then did the camo pattern in catachan green and scorthed earth.  I first tried bestial brown, but it came out do bright.  I then hit the whole vehcile in a black wash.  

Well there you have it.  What say you Epic community what will it be?  :D

Just to warn you my wife already cast her vote so it will take a lot votes to over rule her.   :p

Thanks for your help and I appreciate any comments.

The Tanks

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like (3) Steel Legion the best. The minis show the best detail with this paintjob.

Shabbat Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:30 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'm inclined to agree with MS, the others tend to blend into the background too much for my liking (yes I know that's supposed to be the whole point of camoflage!  :D ).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm a big fan of #4 WW2 (I'm a graduate of the Legion 4 school of realisitc paint schemes :D );  I used a similar method to you, but used a final wash of light brown rather than black, as I found it lost too much of the earthy tone I was after and it brought out the detail around the yellow areas sufficiently.

Having said that though, I spent an inordinate amount of time researching and painting an authentic scheme which then of course does its job at normal wargaming distances - blends away all that detail!  Besides that I am very happy with it.

I think you can acheive a mix of all of the above - get a main theme for your force, then have variants for som detachemnts. ?It can add a lot of flavour to your army to have an attachment from the 42nd Valhallan AA battery in different colours to the attached 16th Catachan Sentinel Recon Troop which is again different to your main XXth Regiment force.  Of course your Titans have their own Heraldry which can have a little bit in common (like a couple of panel sections) with your main force to tie it all together.

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:22 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replys so far. ?

Tas good to see your back. ?Even for a short while. ?I'm a little surprised that the steel Legion is being picked . ?I thought that was the one I did the worst on. ?Still you never know the result till you play the game. ? :)

Tas,

Mixing themes seems like an interesting idea. ?But would that give a force a too motley of a look. ?I have bad visions of seeing 40K armiers when some collected one blood Angel squad, one space wolf squad, and one ultramarines squad, all in the same army.  I just don't know, even though I'll think about it. ?

What are other poeples thoughts between a the whole force look vs the the collection of units.

Thanks again and take care

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I vote for #3 Steel Legion myself.

I like the way it gives the feel of camo without killing the details.

dafrca

Come fight me, if you dare...... http://dd-janks.mybrute.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Of course I'm with Tas on this one ! :;):  WWII works for me ! However they are all tactical colors schemes, so I like that too !  I have mixed color schemes in my IG also.  But much of it is primarily gray (! :o )!   I plan on doing all my F/W IG AFVs in a desert scheme ( go figure !). :;):

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Steel Legion colours are nice but I must say that the WWII scheme is my personal favourite. Nice job!

Cheers!:)

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Cuban Commissar @ 29 2004 Aug.,13:22)
Tas,

Mixing themes seems like an interesting idea. ?But would that give a force a too motley of a look. ?I have bad visions of seeing 40K armiers when some collected one blood Angel squad, one space wolf squad, and one ultramarines squad, all in the same army. ?I just don't know, even though I'll think about it. ?

Having no linkage between the units can indeed look strange (like your SM example), but variations of the same, or using the same colours but in a different way will give units some individuality but still tied into the whole force look.

This can also be achieved by having a common insignia or motiff (such as a campaign symbol) further tying them together despite the different paintjobs

Historically, no unit ever had the all their vehicel painted the same after a weeks of operations anyway.  Especially forces the size we are talking about.  Where cam schemes are individually applied with paint mixed up my men in the field, with replacement behicelsthrown in and damage as well, a very motley appearance quickly creeps in.

You need to do a bit of thinking about it, but it can be done very effectively with some planning.  I also like to add honour marings after a game where a unit does well, but then I'm a little mad as well  :;):

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow, they're all great, Commissar! WWII looks best - strange, bec. on reading the description it was the one which appealed least, but on seeing the pics - definitely WWII! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Forgot to mention! Great paint jobs & pics!

Are you going use these as "proxies" for IG FA of some sort?

They are good models, even if they are not G/W-S/G-F/W! :laugh: :;):

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:28 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Actually Legion they are simply being sacrificed for the needs of the imperium.  They where in my mini collection and where in the right scale. I have no spare Epic IG figures.  

I'm into battletch as well but recently I have decided not to build vehicle forces for my battletech units.  Still I recommned anyone looking at Iron Wind for their battletech vehicles.  They can be used as proxies or varients for their IG army, especially Chaos IG forces. Some tanks like the Rommel and Patton would blend in very well.

Thanks for all the nice comments it looks like a competition between the Steel Legion and WWII. I apreciate the votes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well like I said, they are well painted ... you could even sell'em !  :;):

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Legion 4 @ 29 2004 Aug.,14:32)
Well like I said, they are well painted ... you could even sell'em ! ?:;):

I'll second L4 here. Well painted minis do well on ebay.  :D

As for the paint job, either of the two would look great so I would "follow your heart". Pick the one you like best.

dafrca

Come fight me, if you dare...... http://dd-janks.mybrute.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think I must vote the "German WWII" pattern camo. Even though it is a pain to drybrush to get the details out, but since I'm not the one who has to do it... }:)  :laugh: