Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next

AxelFendersson's new painting log

Post subject: Re: AxelFendersson's new painting log
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:06 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I remember this thread. Welcome back Axel, the warlord looks good. Is that a 60mm round it's on?

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

happy returns, mate

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:23 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

there's a tournament in Guildford weekend after next, by the way, if you fancy a game

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks, chaps.

Dave wrote:
Is that a 60mm round it's on?

No, 80mm. The Warhounds and Reaver are on 60mm, but the Warlord's feet were overhanging just a bit too far on 60, so I went with 80mm.

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
there's a tournament in Guildford weekend after next, by the way, if you fancy a game

Hmm. I have a weird feeling I'm busy that weekend but off-hand I can't actually remember with what, so maybe I can make it! I definitely want to get to some tournaments at some point this year; it has been too long.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow, it has got really quiet around here these days.

So I was looking through this thread and I see that early on I made a habit of saying that I was going to paint something next and then doing something completely different. I see no reason to break with such a long-standing tradition, so instead of the Imperial Guard I was planning to do next, here's a Ravager Titan.

(Click for larger image.)

Way back in 2007 when I started putting together a Chaos army for Epic, the first thing that I did was to convert and paint a Ravager Titan based on Forge World's Lucius-pattern Reaver. I'm still quite fond of it now, but next to my true-scale Imperial Titans it was looking rather small and puny, as were my other Chaos Titans. So I decided to produce some replacements.

I have printed all three main classes of Chaos Titan, all at what I estimate to be 6mm truescale, i.e. 20% of W40k or 80% of AT18. They have required varying levels of re-mixing: very little for the Ferals, a bit more for the Ravager and Warplord, the latter of which also involved some more traditional converting after it had printed, with putty and metal parts.

The Guard are still in progress but they're taking a while; I had underestimated just how much work it would be to paint a whole Mechanised Infantry Company with multiple upgrades. Hopefully I'll have some of them finished soon. Otherwise it might be more Chaos Titans next.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:34 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Infantry can definitely be a slog, especially when it's more than just power armor.

The Ravager looks good. How tall does he clock in at?

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks. He's just a whisker under 7cm to the top of the carapace, with the Doomburner adding another cm or so.

That's pretty close to 1/5 of the 40cm-tall (including weapons) 40K Mars-pattern Reaver, and almost exactly the same size as my Werewolf-made Forumware Reaver, so I'm pretty happy with it scale-wise. The files it's printed from (mostly the Lucius pattern Reaver by Miffles Makes with a few alternative or remixed parts) were originally scaled for AT18 and I printed them at 80%.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I have multiple updates, as I have painted a few things over the past couple of weeks but have only just got around to taking photos of them.

First of all, inspired by Dave's tweaks to his OG Marauders, I decided it was time I fixed something that has been bugging me for years: the fact that the weapons on my Thunderbolts bore no resemblance whatsoever to what they have in the rules. With the wonders of 3D printing making it much easier to conjure up whatever parts I need, there was no longer any reason not to correct this irritation, so I printed off some bits and started hacking away at the noses of the 'planes until they were armed with the Multilaser and Storm Bolter combo described in the rules, rather than the (far more powerful) twin Lascannon and quad Autocannon the models came with. I also added some anti-tank rockets under the wings, the absence of which I recall being lamented back on page 8 of this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And now, at last, the first formations for that Imperial Guard army I promised.

To start with, a Regimental HQ company, with Fire Support, Snipers and Ogryns.

The infantry are all 3D printed, and they are the most sharply detailed models I have ever painted, which I have to admit made them rather intimidating to paint, as did their vast numbers. All but one of the Chimeras are from Trolls Under the Bridge. They're the first-generation all-metal versions without track guards. I bought 27 of them a few years ago: why 27 I don't remember. When I came to properly plan out this army, I discovered that I was going to need 28. Since this meant that one of my Chimeras wasn't going to be a perfect match for the others, I decided to lean into the difference and printed off this command vehicle for the Supreme Commander to ride in.

I've considered adding company markings to the Chimeras but I'm hesitant to do so. If I keep them all the same then it's easy to swap them around and use different upgrades for different companies. If I add markings to the vehicles then that ties them to specific companies, so then I couldn't use (for example) Griffons or Hellhounds for this company, or Ogryns for one of the other Mech. Infantry companies. So I think I'm going to leave them like this.

Last edited by AxelFendersson on Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And last but not least, here are a couple of Super-heavy tank companies:

(Click for larger images.)

I think these are the only genuine GW models in the army. They're the old resin models from Forge World. And I have to say that the casting quality is awful. Soft, fuzzy detail, deposits of resin where the moulds were wearing away, they're just poor all round. I assume that when they were first released there were crisp, sharp casts available, but I got these just before they were discontinued, and by that point the moulds were clearly badly worn out. I did consider getting rid of them and printing some replacements, but for some reason I wanted to have at least some original GW models in the army, so I've tried to make the best of them.

The Commissars were 3D printed. For most of the army I've done Commissars as additional units that can be swapped in as required, but since an extra SHT is a whole extra formation in itself, I've just added a Commissar to one of the vehicles. It seems unlikely that I'd take a SHT Company and not put a Commissar in it, so I haven't bothered to add the option here.

Next up should be a Leman Russ Company. It's already more than half-done; hopefully I'll be able to get it finished at the weekend, along with some other bits and pieces.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:14 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Nice work, Axel. The WYSIWYG Tbolts look good.

I've had a few FW Lucius Baneblades pass through over the years. There's definitely nice ones and definitely crap castings, for sure.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers.

Well, I've been off work for over a week with Covid, and can't go out in the evenings for the same reason, so I've had plenty of time for painting recently. Which I guess kind of makes the amount I've actually done seem fairly unimpressive, really. Still, here it is.

First up is that Leman Russ company, with added Demolishers. The latter required a significant degree of re-mixing and combining parts from different models to get the right combination of weapons on both the turrets and sponsons.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Next, a couple of smaller formations. Firstly this Hydra battery:

For some reason the printing lines are particularly visible in this photo. You can see them in real life as well, but they aren't nearly as pronounced as they look here.

Then there are these Deathstrike Missile launchers. These are a proper old-fashioned kitbash that I put together years ago. The chassis is from a Trolls Basilisk; the missiles are from Gregster's Lab, and the launcher mechanism incorporates parts from Vanguard Miniatures as well as some small bits of plasticard. The missiles are removable to indicate when they have been fired.

Last edited by AxelFendersson on Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've also managed to get another Mechanised Infantry company done, with Fire Support and Hellhounds:

The infantry are 3D printed while the vehicles are all from Trolls Under the Bridge. However, I have replaced the turrets on the Hellhounds with 3d-printed ones. The flamers on the original turrets all had little notches in the bottom where they hadn't quite cast properly, and had a habit of bending. Once bent they were nearly impossible to get perfectly straight again, so they wound up looking quite messy. I think these replacement turrets look better, as well as having straight flamer barrels.

Bringing the army up to a nice round 4,000 points are these Rough Riders:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

At this point I decided to add some more SHTs to the army. I started with the Stormblade, which is a bit of an oddity. When I originally bought the Shadowsword company, one of the Volcano Cannons was so badly miscast that it was unusable. I would have tried to get a replacement, but FW had just discontinued the models, so that wasn't possible. A bit later, I managed to find another FW Shadowsword on eBay. However, strangely it was slightly bigger than the others. It wasn't a huge difference, maybe 5% or so, but it was enough that I decided not to use it in the same company, so instead I carefully removed the Volcano Cannon and glued it into the hull of the Shadowsword that had previously been missing one.

However, this meant I still had a spare Shadowsword chassis with no main weapon. I still had a couple of spare Plasma Blastguns left over from my Feral titan conversions, and one of those fitted nicely into the slot, leaving me with a fairly convincing Stormblade. I used a Heavy Bolter that was left over from a Space Marine model (either an Attack Bike or a Land Speeder, I can't remember) to add the hull-mounted HB and replaced the sensor turrets with 3D printed lascannon ones to complete the transformation.

Having included a Stormblade in the army, I figured I might as well complete the set and so I printed off a Stormsword and a Stormhammer as well. The model I used for the Stormhammer has no details on the tracks, so I added those manually with a thin layer of greenstuff. The results are a little bit rough and ready, but they'll do.

The Stormblade is the first time I've attempted to do OSL. Seeing as I haven't done it before, I kept it fairly suble, but I tried to add a hint of a blue glow from the plasma coils. It's not perfect but I think it's come out OK.

Next up will be scouts. I have more Rough Riders, some Sentinels, Vultures and Stormtroopers to do. I don't know what order I'll do them in yet.

There are also some more truescale Chaos Titans waiting for my attention, so those might find their way into the queue sooner rather than later.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next