Login |  Register |  FAQ

Chaos Daemons + Factions.

Post subject: Chaos Daemons + Factions.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello,

I'm struggling to get my head around some things with the Chaos list (particularly BL), and want to check that I'm doing things right;

1. Factions. When the rules for hated enemy got removed, so did the rules about choosing factions. The God-specific lists state which faction everything is (e.g khorne). The black legion however...doesnt mention anything.
So for Black Legion;
Are they all Undivided?
Do you pick a faction for the army?
Do you pick a faction for each unit and can therefore have some Khornate raptors, and nurgle termies etc.

2. Greater Daemons and factions. The rules state "one greater daemon for each given faction". For the God-Specific lists this is pretty easy; e.g everything is khornate, can only summon blood thirster, so you can therefore have at most one blood thirster on the table.
For Black Legion;

If you had a tzeentch unit, nurgle unit, slaanesh unit and khornate unit, could you therefore have 4 GD on the table? (One for each)

If you had an undivided unit, and a khornate unit, could you have 2 Blood thirsters? (Undivided can summon any, khornate can summon a blood thirster).

If this is the case, could you possibly get 5 GD onto the table at once? (khorne unit, slaanesh unit, tzeentch, nurgle and undivided)

If instead it's a limit of one blood thirster, one keeper of secrets etc, then can a single undivided unit summon both as long as it keeps rolling high enough each turn and you had enough pts in the pool?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Chaos Daemons + Factions.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:11 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Hi Jon,

Jon wrote:
1. Factions. When the rules for hated enemy got removed, so did the rules about choosing factions. The God-specific lists state which faction everything is (e.g khorne). The black legion however...doesnt mention anything.
So for Black Legion;
Are they all Undivided?
Do you pick a faction for the army?
Do you pick a faction for each unit and can therefore have some Khornate raptors, and nurgle termies etc.
It is option 3 now, you specify the faction for a formation and summon those daemons or go undivided and pay double for faction daemons but get your own choice.

Jon wrote:
2. Greater Daemons and factions. The rules state "one greater daemon for each given faction". For the God-Specific lists this is pretty easy; e.g everything is khornate, can only summon blood thirster, so you can therefore have at most one blood thirster on the table.
For Black Legion;

Jon wrote:
If you had a tzeentch unit, nurgle unit, slaanesh unit and khornate unit, could you therefore have 4 GD on the table? (One for each)
If you pay the points for 4 greater daemons you can have 4 on the table at the same time.

Jon wrote:
If you had an undivided unit, and a khornate unit, could you have 2 Blood thirsters? (Undivided can summon any, khornate can summon a blood thirster).
No, Only one greater daemon from a faction at one time.

Jon wrote:
If this is the case, could you possibly get 5 GD onto the table at once? (khorne unit, slaanesh unit, tzeentch, nurgle and undivided)
Sorry only a maximum of 4 GD at one time.

Jon wrote:
If instead it's a limit of one blood thirster, one keeper of secrets etc, then can a single undivided unit summon both as long as it keeps rolling high enough each turn and you had enough pts in the pool?
You can summon different greater daemons in different turns, but you can not mix and match your daemons between different factions in the same formation.

Hope that helps and please forgive the formatting.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank you Tim. So to confirm, I could have 2 undivided units with champions, and each summon a GD, as long as it wasnt a GD that was already on the board, to a max of 1 GD per unit?

Quote:
but you can not mix and match your daemons between different factions in the same formation.

Does this apply to lessers? So although a
I can summon "any" if I can add say 5 stands, I can pick which they are, but they have to all be the same rather than a mix of daemonettes/plaguebearers.

Presumably therefore If I had a bloodthirster out, but then next turn wanted flamers, I would need to return the BT (to stop the unit being khorne) in order to summon the flamers?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tiny-Tim wrote:
You can summon different greater daemons in different turns, but you can not mix and match your daemons between different factions in the same formation.

Hope that helps and please forgive the formatting.

I can't see this restriction in the BL file (quick reference or Chaos Marine Codex), so the text may need updating.

Hmm, it appears to be missing from the NetEA Black Legion rules as well. :-(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:57 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yes, the only mixing of daemons that has been allowed in the past is faction daemons and beasts.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That might be worth putting in as a line "Apart from beasts, you cant have daemons from different factions in the same unit"

This would solve both the lesser and greater questions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Jon wrote:
That might be worth putting in as a line "Apart from beasts, you cant have daemons from different factions in the same unit"

This would solve both the lesser and greater questions.

I agree. At this point, the restriction doesn't exist in the text, although everyone plays as if the restriction exists.