Login |  Register |  FAQ

[Development] Mobile Forces of Catachan 0.4

Post subject: Re: [Development] Mobile Forces of Catachan 0.4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Regarding the Barrage Pods:
Skytalons have two pylons which may be equipped with any possible armament. In the 8th Imperial Armour book they come by default with Hellstrike Missiles, with the option to add Barrage Pods. So your question, "Should they have pods?", is backed by the background. In theory, they should. But either option taps in either the Valkyrie or the Vulture, dilluting their respective, dedicated role. I don't think it is a good idea to be able to spam even more BP either, with Hellstrike Missiles these fellas need to be more expensive (read: +50pts), too.

I see your proposal as valid from background, not from rules. I will add the option to add Valkyries instead of Talons, effectively giving you the choice to add "BP-transport" at 75 a pair (as they should be priced around 35 individually) or cheap (25pts for a Talon only armed with a Heavy Bolter - so similiar to a Chimera, loosing the Multi-Laser but gaining Skimmer and Speed instead.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I tried the list this evening. To be fair, this was played very relaxed, not tournament level play.
I used the following list:

425 - Airborne Regimental HQ + Vendetta (2) + Sentinels (Drop) + Sky Talons
400 - Airborne Infantry Company + Infantry Platoon + Vendetta (2)
325 - Airborne Ogryn Company + Vendetta (2)
175 - Sentinel Patrol (4x Drop) + Sky Talons
175 - Sentinel Patrol (4x Drop) + Sky Talons
125 - Sentinel Patrol (4x Support)
300 - Vultures
300 - Vulture Punisher
225 - Airborne Support Company
125 - Lunar Cruiser
150 - Thunderbolts
150 - Thunderbolts
150 - Lightnings

Their opponent was Chaos:
Retinue in Rhinos
Retinue in Rhinos
Retinue on foot with Supreme and Obliterators
Terminators with Obliterators
Chosen in Drop Pod and Dreadnought
Chosen with Rhinos
Raptors
Deathwheel
Decimator
Hell Talon Bomber
Spaceship
Pacts in every formation + some more from remaining pts

Game started with teleporting Terminators killing the Overwatch-Vultures and them getting destroyed by parts of the Catachan army. Overall I played fairly defensively, resulting in an Ogryn formation only used in Firefight for the whole game, so I can't really tell of they are bad or good or overpriced.
Vulture Punisher were surprisingly lethal and work pretty well together with the Lightnings.
The dedicated Multimelta formations did not play a vital role, neither did the support sentinels. Having two more scouts in the formation on the other hand is pretty nasty, enabling the army to close even more gaps here and there.
The Firesupport formation was really flexible, their small headcount felt kinda right, hitting a sweet spot.
Game ended on turn 4 with a 2-1 victory for Catachan, with Chaos struggeling for a draw in a very bloody game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

nice heavy use of Navy assets

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I uploaded a revised PDF, thanks for the typo hunting!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's a pretty thematic list. Where'd you stick the political officers?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One in each Command stand plus one Multi-Melta Sentinel.

Big thanks to Norto! We are on Army Forge! http://adam77.github.io/snapfire/war/ch ... hans_NETEA

Going to test this out next time:
We are on Armyforge!, 3000 POINTS
Mobile Forces of Catachan (Mobile Forces of Catachan 0.4.3 Developmental)
==================================================
--Core--
AIRBORNE REGIMENTAL HQ [350] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Supreme Commander, 3 Valkyrie, Vendetta
AIRBORNE INFANTRY COMPANY [250] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Commander, 3 Valkyrie, Vendetta
AIRBORNE INFANTRY COMPANY [400] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Commander, 2 Valkyrie, 2 Vendetta, Add six Imperial Guard Infantry units and 3 Valkyries

--Support --
AIRBORNE SUPPORT PLATOONS [225] 1 Imperial Guard Infantry Unit, 1 Imperial Guard Commander, 4 Imperial Guard Fire Support Units, Valkyrie, 2 Vendetta
SENTINELS [125] 4 Support Sentinel
VULTURE PUNISHERS [300] 6 Vulture Punishers
VULTURES [300] 4 Vultures
0-1 VETERANS [200] 8 Veterans

--Navy--
LIGHTNING SQUADRON [150] 2 Lightning Strike Fighter
THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [150] 2 Thunderbolt Fighters
SPACECRAFT [125] Lunar Class Cruiser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had a Vassal game yesterday against Eldar. Here are the lists used:

Mobile Forces of Catachan (Mobile Forces of Catachan 0.4.3 Developmental)
AIRBORNE REGIMENTAL HQ [350] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Supreme Commander, 3 Valkyrie, Vendetta
AIRBORNE INFANTRY COMPANY [250] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Commander, 3 Valkyrie, Vendetta
AIRBORNE OGRYN COMPANY [425] 5 Ogryn Units and 1 Commander, 4 Valkyrie, 2 Vendetta, Add 2 Vultures
SENTINELS [125] 4 Drop Sentinels
SENTINELS [125] 4 Drop Sentinels
0-1 VETERANS [200] 8 Veterans

Biel-Tan Craftworld (Biel-Tan Craftworld (v4.2))
WRAITHGATE [50]
GUARDIAN WARHOST [150] Farseer, 4 Guardians, 3 Heavy Weapon Platform
GUARDIAN WARHOST [150] Farseer, 4 Guardians, 3 Heavy Weapon Platform
ASPECT WARRIOR WARHOST [350] 8 Shining Spear, 2 Exarch
SWORDS OF VAUL TROUPE [250] 3 Falcon, 2 Fire Storm
SWORDS OF VAUL TROUPE [250] 3 Falcon, 2 Fire Storm
VOID SPINNER [275] Void Spinner
VOID SPINNER [275] Void Spinner
WINDRIDER TROUPE [200] 5 Jetbikes, Vyper
RANGER TROUPE [100] 4 Ranger
RANGER TROUPE [100] 4 Ranger
WARLOCK TITAN [850]

Overall both lists worked pretty well, apart from me beeing super lucky with the Catachans. The Lunar destroyed a Void Spinner in cover, pinged the Warlock and a Falcon formation. After stalling the Warlock had to move up, catching 4 shots from the attached Vultures in the BTS formation. Three hits and three save rolls later, the Holofield was crit'ed away and the Titan lost 2DC. The Vulture formation shot down a couple of Falcons who used cover at its best, enabling only two of the Vultures to shoot at them, but still loosing two. The remaining Void Spinner failed to activate and the remaining, second Swords Of Vaul troupe only killed 2 Valkyrie units on an advance. I was a bit greedy and pushed forward one of the inf coys, killing two Rangers in cover, but beeing wiped out by a charge from the Shining spears out of the portal in a subsequent activation because I did not pay enough attention on that. More dice were rolled and at the end of the turn, the Warlock was down to 3 DC left, broken by beeing pinged from the AC and Sentinels and on the run. Catachans had lost one Lightning from AA, a couple of Sentinels and one inf coy. Eldar had a Titan w/o Holofields, two Shining Spears dead, one Void Spinner down, and a couple of falcon destroyed. It was not looking great for the Eldar player.
Turn two saw a triple activation from the Eldar player destroying much of the BTS-formation from the catachans with the badly hurt Warlock Titan, while he was just walzing in between two Sentinel formations on overwatch, desperately trying to do as much damage as possible before his inevitable destruction. Dice were rolled but neither the Melta Sentinel nor the Support ones could scratch him.unbroken but badly hurt the Ogryn BTS sat there. second retain was an two-turn engage from the avatar engaging a Valkyrie formation, which was possible because the guardians marched there, gambling on winnig the iniative to engage with the just spawned Avatar. After the first round of combat, the Avatar was just up two, but after the second round he was up 5 because not much was standing after two rounds. The third engage was a clipping engage from the gate with the jetbikes, targeting the suffering BTS formation. The jetbikes, having fairly decent dice, shredded the Commander and a Valkyrie in FF, doing just enough damage to bring down the formation for good. In return the Catachans destroyed the Warlock in a deadly crossfire, the Lightning destroyed the second Void Spinner, and the rest of the army tried to compensate for the loss of units. The whole army was starting to fall apart after another triple activation, removing more units and formations from play. At the end of turn two, the Catachans had lost their edge, many Valkyries only smoking wrecks. But the Eldar also suffered a tremendous defeat by loosing the anchor of thier army in the midfield, the Warlock Titan.
Turn three I teleported my Veterans on his Blitz, hoping to keep them there until end of turn. Scout and MW FF should be enough to keep a single guardian formation at bay, I hoped. Hoped. Because I cought a BM from teleporting, lost "Start of round roll" and got promplty wiped off the Blitz. The rest of the turn was fairly unspectacular, the odd unit moving here and there, trying to use the scouting sentinels to keep the remaining Eldar at bay. A failry good placed Falcon was just so in my way that I could not claim Defend The Flag, which would have won me the game.
Turn four saw us struggeling, with very small and immobile formations left. The Eldar player failing a crucial activation was a key here, because he could not clean off the four sentinels guard my Blitz. The dice were rolled on numerous ping-to-break attempts, but in the end I could not move my formations the way I wanted, partly because I was unable to activate/rally them, partly because of some pesky Eldar rangers in my way. In the end it was BTS for both parties, but I had only a single broken formation in his half because I could not zip through with my Vulture Punishers. I failed that rally, and with my supreme already dead the game was over 2-1 for the Eldar.

Conclusion:
The lists were both pretty strong, at least from my limited experience with Eldar, effectively shutting down my air assets. The support Sentinels were very handy and much more reiliable than the Melta ones. Veterans felt pretty good, maybe a bit too good, but I guess 200pts for 6up guardsmen is okish. The army in a whole was very strong in Turn 1, basically knee-cap'n the Eldar by nearly destroying the Warlock due to some very lucky dice. But after all the smoke and rockets of turn one, the Eldar could still swing back because I could not keep up the momentum - which was not a problem of the list itself but more a problem of loosing a couple of key engagements plus the odd error here and there. It felt strong and is definetly one of the stronger guard variants, I think. The psychological pressure of the Vulture formations is tremendous, especially if coupled with Lightnings, who are plain awesome. Don't want to touch their points nor profile because they are blatant copies from the UK though. Guess their main weakness, not having strong AA fire nor any AP shots kinda puts them back in balance.

Pic from EoG:
Attachment:
cat vs eldar t4_small.png
cat vs eldar t4_small.png [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 15255 times ]

That makes BatRap 1 of 6 from me/my group!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Battlereport for Approval, Number 2
Another game on Vassal. Here are the army lists used:

AirAssault Marines, 3000 POINTS Codex Astartes (NetEA Tournament Pack 2018)
TACTICAL [350] 6 Tacticals, Hunter, Rhinos
ASSAULT [175] 4 Assault Units
DEVASTATOR [300] 4 Devastators, Dreadnought, Drop Pods
SCOUT [175] 4 Scouts, Rhinos, Razorback
SCOUT [175] 4 Scouts, Rhinos, Razorback
TERMINATOR [400] 4 Terminators, Chaplain
PREDATOR [250] 4 Annihilator
LAND SPEEDER [200] 5 Landspeeder
LAND SPEEDER [200] 5 Landspeeder

Navy
THUNDERHAWK [200]
THUNDERHAWK [200]
STRIKE CRUISER [200]
THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [175] 2 Thunderbolt Fighters

Stormtroopers and Double Vultures, 3000 POINTS Mobile Forces of Catachan (Mobile Forces of Catachan 0.4.3 Developmental)
Core
AIRBORNE REGIMENTAL HQ [350] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Supreme Commander, 3 Valkyrie, 1 Vendetta
AIRBORNE INFANTRY COMPANY [300] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Commander, 3 Valkyrie, 1 Ogryn and 2 Vendetta
AIRBORNE OGRYN COMPANY [400] 5 Ogryn Units and 1 Commander, 4 Valkyrie, 2 Vendetta, 2 Drop Sentinels, Sky Talons
Support
AIRBORNE STORM TROOPER PLATOON [350] 8 Stormtroopers, 4 Valkyries
AIRBORNE STORM TROOPER PLATOON [350] 8 Stormtroopers, 4 Valkyries
AIRBORNE SUPPORT PLATOONS [225] 1 Imperial Guard Infantry Unit, 1 Imperial Guard Commander, 4 Imperial Guard Fire Support Units, 3 Valkyrie

Navy

This time the game was against fairly regular Marines. I chose a rather light Air Wing this time. Marine player chose L-shape for deployment and placed the objectives so that I could not use up my Vultures to maximum effect. Albeit I had two formations I only put up one in overwatch, the other Overwatch formation beeing the Thunderbolts, because of the THawk with Terminators inside and their potential to destroy everything singlehandedly.
I missed out to do a screencap of the deployment, sorry for that.
Marines won initiative and opened up with the drop of the Devastators. Barrage and Deathwind destroyed one of the overwatching Vultures and pinged the Valkyrie formation on the left side of the table. Retaining with the pinged (Overwatch from Vultures) Devastators, the Marines do a sustained fire on the damaged Valkyrie formation and crippling the formation even further. Retailiation is harsh, from a formation of Stormtroopers engaging the damaged devastators. Due to some good dice the devastators are reduced to a single stand and the Dread and wont rally till the end of the game. After pinging the BTS formation with some Thunderbolts and stalling for a good moment, the Terminators fly in and the CAP'ing Tbolts of the Catachans fail to destroy the Hawk. Terminators nearly bounce off the BTS because of horrendous dice, killing only just enough stands to break the formation and loosing a single Terminator as well.
Rest of the turn sees Catachans struggling to put damage on the Marines, mainly because they are advancing fairly defensivly, apart from a horribly bad Land Speeder move, risking their life to shoot down a Vulture, getting decimated in return a bit.
This is the game after rallying and removing flyers.
Full size

Turn 2 starts with Marines again. The Scouts still camp out at their respective objectives and are lucky that the barrage of the Lunar hits nothing at all, even with the THawk out of the picture because it in fact did not land in T2. Predators realize they are placed very bad on the right side and move over to the middle of the table. Overall a very cautious turn again, seeing the demise of the Terminators by combined arms of the whole Catachan army, because the Marine player could not stall long enough last turn to pick them up safely without risking their lives in the secon THawk, beeing parked in the middle of the Catachan army for bus duty. Pretty disappointing are two engages bouncing off due to very weak dice and great saves from me are a full Tactical formation with support from some Land Speeders and the Assault Marines who loose three stands reducing them to objective contestors. Overall Catachans loose fairly few units this turn, mainly because the Predators were parked at the wrong point last turn, the failed engages, the Scouts non-contributing to the battle because of their guarding duty and the Terminators, well, beeing dead.

Full size

Turn three started with the Marines again, but without the real need to capitalize on that. The catachans can play out their superior numbers and mobility at this point but they cannot put enough pressure on the Marines to end the game. One speeder formation is destroyed by the Fire Support platoon. The second Stormtrooper formation moves up to catch the Blitz and win the game in T4, but because I played that defensivly I could not claim victory in T3. Scouts finally take part in the battle and the predators finally try to put a tally on the Valkyries and other VTOL. At this point only 10 Valkyries (15 downed already) and 6 Vultures (only two downed) remain, stranding a fair amount of infantry on foot (13 stands, but affecting 3 of 6 possible formations). The Marines really need to win the next iniative roll, to kill the Stormtroopers on the left half of the table ideally to do some useful stuff with hte nearly destroyed speeders as well. Currently the game is 0-1 for Catachan

Full size

But they fail. What follows is what was to be expected - Scouts get nearly wiped out from the Catachans, but they can't protect their BTS against the Marine aircraft, giving the Marines their first goal. After a couple of very bad activation rolls on both sides, Catachans can't move up to the Blitz, nor can the Scouts on the right side conga up to contest/claim their own Blitz. In the end of the turn not much had happened apart from the Scouts beeing destroyed. The speeders failed to activate, and unable to move around the Vultures on the right they could not contest the objective on the right side. The Thunderhawk, intending to give fire support on the left side and clip-engaging with the Assault marine results in two rounds of combat - and the Assault Marine sadly dead afterwards and a Valkyrie formation sitting on the Blitz. The other Thawk was needed to kill the BTS and the Predators beeing used to destroy the Stormtroopers Valkyires and contesting/holding the own objective removing the last unit which contested the "Defend The Flag" goal.
This is the end of the game.
Full size

The game ended with a 2-1 (Defend the flag and BTS vs BTS).
Conclusion:
The army feels very brittle but the Scout rule is a real pain for the enemy and probably the greatest weapon the Catachan player has available. It is even stronger than the Vulture Rockets and their insane range and overwatch capability. Templates from the Valkyries doesnt do that much, their psycological effect is much higher due to them moving on doubles or risking the passengers on the other hand. The Marine player did not felt "without hope", but the list ain't a walk in the park either. The missing Titans and nonexistent tough BTS unit choices for the Catachans are feeling pretty well, putting an emphesis on the mobile aspect of the army. Stripping the formations of their Valkyries and Vendetta is a serious problem and feels satisfying for the enemy as well as each loss contributes to the downfall of the army and not like Krieg lists where you reallly have to kill that darn Gorgon/Warhound to have any effect on it's winning strategy.

I plan to do some more games, against Guard this time, but with actual miniatures with Spike in roughly a week. Now I only need two more groups to contribute/test/give feedback. So... pretty please? :sos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We will do at least 1 or 2 runs on the following saturdays.
Catachans VS AMTL / Minervan / Codex Astartes Marines / Tyranids

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Much appreciated, looking forward to your feedback!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We had a splendid weekend here, had some very good games with junkstar last weekend. We did enough photos for 3 battlereports but changed some points here and there, so we are back to a single battlereport which I will write up shortly. First, there are changes to the list though. Here is a changelog:

- Airborne Ogryn Company is moved to the Support Formations section as spamming these was too much
- Airborne Ogryn Company is now smaller (4 Stands, Bone 'ead, 4 Valkyries) but cheaper, too (275 Pts)
- New character upgrade: Bone 'ead. Leader of the Ogryns, has EA+1, thats it. No more Commandering these formations around without external help (i.e. a Inf Coy)
- Each Airborne Ogryn Company must now include a Commissar, if possible
- Airborne Ogryn Company has lost access to all upgrades except the following: Ogryns, Vultures
- Airborne Infantry Company is now more expensive (+50 Pts)
- Airborne Regimental HQ is now more expensive (+50 Pts)
- Airborne Support Platoon is now more expensive (+25 Pts)
- Airborne Support Platoon has lost access to the following upgrades: Vendetta, Vulture Tornado
- The Support Sentinel (thats the Rocket-one) lost the Scout Special Rule
- Marauder is now in line with other lists, sorry for the typo (+25 Pts)
- Lunar is now in line with other lists (+25 Pts)

A few notes on these changes:
- The Ogryn company is now a tad bit more expensive than it was before, and it is now also more expensive than counting the upgrades alone. They are correctly priced however, as upgrades tend to be rarely taken so the "Two Ogryn with Valkyries" upgrade is on the dirty cheap side and should probably costed around 125 Pts, but this leads to easiness in case of "Supreme commander formation is not BTS formation". It should not be a no-brainer to just take the "regular air coy + ogryn upgrade" as a BTS, which is not possible with above stated points. But would be, if you would cost the Ogryns at 125. ;)
- Vendetta Upgrade is now only available to the Core formations, to avoid spamming.

Destrian told me some feedback over the phone as well, they also used the army list in their gaming group leading to above update as well. Heard he will do a report later on here as well, albeit using the old format. Thanks for that!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here it comes:

Incompertus, 2990 POINTS
Minervan Tank Legion (NetEA Tournament Pack 2014)

SUPER-HEAVY TANK COMPANY [550]
2 Baneblade, Stormblade, Flak Support (Hydra)

TANK COMPANY [775]
Flak Support (Hydra), 10 Leman Russ, Supreme Commander

TANK COMPANY [525]
6 Thunderer, Flak Support (Hydra), Demolisher, 3 Conqueror

SALAMANDER SCOUT PLATOON [125]
3 Salamanders, Salamander Command Vehicle

TANK PLATOON [340]
6 Exterminator

THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150]
2 Thunderbolts

WARHOUND [275]
1 Warhound Class Titan

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Manticores

vs

Mobile Forces of Catachan 3000 points

Airborne Regimental HQ [450)
Supreme Commander
7 Imperial Guard Infantry
4 Valkyries
2 Vultures

Airborne Infantry Company [350]
Commander
7 Imperial Guard Infantry
4 Valkyries
2 Vultures

Airborne Stormtroopers [350]
8 Stormtrooper
4 Valkyries

4 Vultures [300]

4 Vultures [300]

4 Vultures [300]

2 Lightning Strike Fighters [150]

2 Marauder Bomber [225]

Lunar Cruiser [125]

Round 1: Roll off goes to Catachan

First activation is the Lunar Cruiser, Orbital Bombardment hits the Super Heavy Company dead center but only inflicts one point of damage. Minervan try to activate Manticores but even with Supreme Commander re-roll they fail... First from 3 units of Vultures activates and kills 4 Leman Russ in the BTS detachment. Warhound activates and secures nearest objective. Second detachment of Vultures activate but no Leman Russ gets killed. Leman Russ BTS try to activate and marshall but fail... First flight of Lightnings swoop in but can't do any damage. Second Leman Russ company activates and advance but don't do any damage. Third detachment of Vultures activate and kill 2 Demolisher. Salamander scouts activate and get into cover.
Marauder bomber activate and kill all Leman Russ except one in the BTS detachment.
Lightnings attack Manticores, get intercepted but manage to kill 1 thanks to the nearby Marauders, Manticores break. Last Lightning flight does nothing. Super Heavys just advance.

Round 2: Minervan goes first

Warhound activates, speeds forward into range from the Veterans but only kills on stand...
Vulture activate and kill Minervan BTS. Manticore rallied and fires on Vultures who break thanks to disrupt.
Vultures activate and kill one Thunderer. Retaining the Marauders throw bombs on the Baneblades and damage one further. Minervan CAP fails. Catachan Veterans fail activation and can't do any damage on the Warhound nearby. Baneblades activate and marshall. Catachan Infantry shoots at Warhound and break him.
Leman Russ support company activates and accidently moves themselves between two enemy units, they can't do any damage. In turn they take damage and break, withdrawal ends them in dangerous terrain where they loose 2 more tanks. Lightnings swoop in to finish them off.

Round 3: Catachans win, this is a short one.

Vultures activate and shoot at the scouts, kill one. Last Manticore activates and moves to secure the Blitz and puts a BM on nearby Vultures. Vultures marshall. Leman Russ fail activation and marshall. Marauder Bomber attack the Salamander scouts and breaks them. Minervand Thunderbolts manage to kill the first unit of broken Vultures. Baneblades activate and advance but not far enough. Lightning attack kills broken Salamanders.

At this point the Minervan general conceeded the game with not much left to do and 3 goals to the Catachans: DTF, HTL and BTS.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Destrian, thank you very much for the report to bolster it up.
I was told that the Vultures had an high impact in your game and I guess it was a mix of bad Reinforced saves and good exploition of Cross Fire? Did I get that right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Army Forge file has been updated and will be available in the near future.

Big thanks to Norto for helping me with the file!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Battlereport Spike vs Largo
Used Armies:
Mobile Forces of Catachan (Mobile Forces of Catachan 0.4.4 Developmental) -- 3000 POINTS
AIRBORNE REGIMENTAL HQ [450] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Supreme Commander, 2 Valkyrie, 1 Ogryn and 1 Valkyrie, 2 Vendetta
AIRBORNE INFANTRY COMPANY [350] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Commander, 2 Valkyrie, 1 Ogryn and 1 Valkyrie, 2 Vendetta
AIRBORNE INFANTRY COMPANY [300] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Commander, 4 Valkyrie
AIRBORNE SUPPORT PLATOONS [250] 1 Imperial Guard Infantry Unit, 1 Imperial Guard Commander, 3 Valkyrie, 4 Imperial Guard Mortar Units
VULTURES [300] 4 Vulture
VULTURES [300] 4 Vulture
------------------------------
Steel Legion (NetEA Army Compendium v2014) -- 3000 POINTS
REGIMENTAL HQ [500] Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera
INFANTRY COMPANY [250] Commander, 12 Infantry
SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200] Baneblade
SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200] Baneblade
ARTILLERY BATTERY [250] 3 Basilisks
FLAK BATTERY [150] 3 Hydra
FLAK BATTERY [150] 3 Hydra
THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150] 2 Thunderbolts
THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150] 2 Thunderbolts

Deployment
Steel Legion win roll of for deployment and settle for long edge. Mobile Forces put up a pair of Lightnings on CAP, as well as a Vulture FM. Steel Legion put up tow Inf coys as garrissons, see picture for other formations. I made a slight error in the picture, lableing an infantry formation wrongly as "Stormtroopers". Sorry for that.
Better resolution:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3NzsacHOoQQ/ ... all_01.jpg

During the first turn, Steel Legion went on hammering shell after shell in those poor Catachans. Hydra stayed put to guard the basilisks from those pesky Lightnings, effectivly shutting them down (fortified by me not activating them.)
Steel Legion manages to break the Vulture formation on overwatch, killing the odd stand here and there. Catachans do the same, moving up to the middle of the table to spring assaults all over the place. Thats how movement went:

Better resolution:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cqh7ygADbF4/ ... all_02.jpg

During the second turn, Steel Legion continued to hammer the Catachans who were not able to destroy the Basilisks as neither Lightnings, nor Valkyries nor Vultures managed to put a dent into anything. The Vultures which broke after the second or third activation of Spike still mangaed to not rally despite being as far back as possible. Regimental HQ was mopped up after a harshly failed engage against a single Baneblade, leaving them somehwere in the woods hoping to survive. Stomrtrooper bounced off Reg HQ, Fire Support remained stationary reducing the amount of stands in the fortified buildings. Overall a lackluster turn for both sides, played bouncing and very defensivly.

Better resolution:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-a1FaSCW5oXc/ ... all_03.jpg

Third turn. After a very defensive last turn, the Catachans strike again, rallying one of their Vulture formations. The BTS of the Catachans get destroyed, plus they loose nearly all Stromtroopers. In return, both Baneblade are gone, two infantry companies are out of the game, the RegHQ lost a tremendous number of stands, three Hydra gone, and only two formations of Basilisk remain. But it is not enough to claim victory, on the contrary, hadn't the Baneblade suffer a critical hit, game would have went to the Steel Legion.

Better resolution:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AioPQ3aM4QY/ ... all_04.jpg

A fourth and last turn was played. The wraith of the Steel Legion destroyed the Airborne Infantry company. The Basilisks get destroyed by aggressive Lightnings, and after some "shuffling", the Catachans move up their Vulutre Punishers to a position where they can engage the regimental HQ. Their fire is enough to break them, but not to kill them. Because of the guardsmen stnads and the Hydras still beeing alive and even pushed up front, I could not get close enough to claim/contest the objective in Spikes half of the table. Could not go around that because Spike was at 8 activations, and I was only at seven (Vulute, Fire Support, 4x Lightnings, Airborne Inf) and had to start the round to not die horrbly everywhere. Good stalling and fire for effect moves, robbed me of my airborne before they could do something, playing into Spikes hand further. The yellow arrow around the tag "Stormtroopers" just indicates that the formation reshuffled a bit further into the terrain

Better resolution:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OnvOOeaQ7iQ/ ... all_05.jpg

In the end it did not even matter because I could not claim my own blitz as the Vultures sitting on it broke (again) and rallied during that turn so they could not even claim Defend The Flag this turn. In the End I had "They Shall Not Pass" while Steel Legion had "Defend The Flag" and "Break Their Spirit".
If this would have gone to points I guess Spike would still have won, simply because I had nearly nothing much left anyway plus several expensive formations unable to rally (Vultures..)