Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Aeronautica Re-release

Post subject: Re: Aeronautica Re-release
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:48 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ok, I’ll probably get some heavy bombers too.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

From the 4pm BST Twitch Stream with Any Hoare

* The basic set was designed to allow you to do a basic dogfight
* Designed as a short-play or demo capable set
* The bases are new design for AI - does basically the same thing as the old bases
* Rynn's world book has basic rules; adds background story; more scenarios; and campaign rules
* Campaign rules are fairly simple - meant to link a few games
* 5 factions in development (including the two in the basic game)
* New factions should come pretty fast
* After that will depend on how the games does
* Designed Marauder so it can have variants - Pathfinder and Colossus are possible new variants beyond the two we have now
* Ground assets have anti-air and objectives
* Aces rules were designed to stay simple and balanced
* They want the rules to be precise and balanced for competitive play
* Ork models are designed so bits are interchangeable - to 2 should be alike
* Ork Eavy Bomma is to carry LOTS of ordnance
* Grot Bomz are designed to be fun
* Battle of Calth - will be a new AT book
* Basic map is only designed for small battles
* 2 Rynn's World map sets can be combined to make an even bigger board
* AI and AT are 1/4 scale of Warhammer 40K - the scale is consistent - Space Marine is 8mm and normal human is 6mm
* Bases could be taken apart, but weren't designed for it. CAN be done if you're very careful
* They will be doing resin aircraft upgrade parts
* The current plan is for maps to be in thick card
* The game is ideal for tourneys - they plan to do a matched play supplement in the future

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

schoon wrote:
* AI and AT are 1/4 scale of Warhammer 40K - the scale is consistent - Space Marine is 8mm and normal human is 6mm

Wait, AT is 6mm after all???

Online solutions:
http://cloudlevel.me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

elsmore01 wrote:
schoon wrote:

Wait, AT is 6mm after all???

Does the combination of both parts of the sentence make sense though? That would make a human in 40K 24mm tall, which it is definitely not. And 40K marine models are not 1/3 taller than guardsmen, even without their armour. So no, I don't think 1/4 of 40K models = 6mm scale. Plus, there is no consistent standard for the relative size of a titan vs an infantryman, so it is irrelevant. AT might be 1/4 of 40K, but when they translate that to a 'standard' mm scale, it is whatever scale they want to call it. They can call it 6mm, it doesn't mean that if they made any infantry or vehicles that they would be a similar size to other infantry or vehicle models they have made in the past.

Just ignore all reference to mm, it's not useful for any practical purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One thing to add - as they've now revealed that there are 5 factions currently "in play" in the development of the game, This Article pretty much reveals what they have to be:

Occulum Mistwar - Eldar vs. Orks
Liberation of Enothis - Imperium vs. Chaos
Armageddon - Imperium vs. Orks

...and in the second Twitch feed, they said they would be surprised if one of them was not Space Marines.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

schoon wrote:
One thing to add - as they've now revealed that there are 5 factions currently "in play" in the development of the game, This Article pretty much reveals what they have to be:

Occulum Mistwar - Eldar vs. Orks
Liberation of Enothis - Imperium vs. Chaos
Armageddon - Imperium vs. Orks

...and in the second Twitch feed, they said they would be surprised if one of them was not Space Marines.

If I spied that Rynn’s World mention correctly before, that does seem to conveniently be a place with Space Marines… obviously all the Flypeepz were in there air when the big missile hit! (Requiescat, Rynn’s World :( )

Though it would be interesting having Astartes in the mix, considering their aircraft are essentially gunships and big transporters versus fighter jets.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:09 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Kyrt wrote:
It's a bit annoying that the bombers dont do anything until you buy the expansion. But still, I think I'd probably buy it to play with my son if he were just a bit older. The style is a bit less, well, grim and dark than the rest of 40K but think it's probably a bit too complicated for 8.

my lad was playing x-wing quite happily at 8, their soft malleable brains are very good at learning rules, you might be surprised ;)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
Kyrt wrote:
It's a bit annoying that the bombers dont do anything until you buy the expansion. But still, I think I'd probably buy it to play with my son if he were just a bit older. The style is a bit less, well, grim and dark than the rest of 40K but think it's probably a bit too complicated for 8.

my lad was playing x-wing quite happily at 8, their soft malleable brains are very good at learning rules, you might be surprised ;)

Quite possibly, I've ordered anyway so we will see (it was actually X-wing i was planning to start him on, and may still). £44 isnt going to break the bank.

You've been a bit more proactive in getting your kids involved in minis and board gaming than I have but I have to start at some point, right? Really I want a solid Epic opponent but that's some years away :) Not least because the 40K universe is quite, erm, adult themed... I don't let him play war video games so do feel a bit hypocritical about it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just like with AT 2.0 … I'm not going to get any AI 2.0. I've got a lot of the original FW AI models albeit smaller and not in 6 or 8mm scale. They work for me … and my budget … ;D

Although these do look tempting … ::)

Attachments:
Aeronautica-Aug25-GroundAssets9pe.jpg
Aeronautica-Aug25-GroundAssets9pe.jpg [ 15.59 KiB | Viewed 8054 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:56 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Kyrt wrote:
kyussinchains wrote:
Kyrt wrote:

Quite possibly, I've ordered anyway so we will see (it was actually X-wing i was planning to start him on, and may still). £44 isnt going to break the bank.

You've been a bit more proactive in getting your kids involved in minis and board gaming than I have but I have to start at some point, right? Really I want a solid Epic opponent but that's some years away :) Not least because the 40K universe is quite, erm, adult themed... I don't let him play war video games so do feel a bit hypocritical about it

I bought my son the game 'Tail feathers' it's a really solid dogfighting game with a cute-ish theme (mice and rats riding birds) plus it's £17.99 on amazon right now and you really get a box full of stuff, it has ground troops and missions and is really fun and not too brutal

he desperately wants to play 40k but I've told him that he needs to try other things first

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:02 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

also on AI, I had a handle of the new aircraft last night, the imperial stuff is just slightly bigger than the old FW models, easily usable in normal epic IMO, the ork fightas are around the size of a FW lightning, just about usable, the bombers on the other hand are approaching twice the size of the FW fighta-bomber, probably even bigger than the old FW heavy bombers.... they might make a decent landa proxy, unless the upcoming heavy bommer works better and isn't the size of a shoe.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My starter box arrived today, have assembled a thunderbolt which IMO is well designed. There are two nose section sub-assemblies for each model (regular and fury) plus 2 pairs of each underwing weapon per model, enough to have all of the same type or any mix. So you can make any combination of options for each model. The wing weapons need gluing and really can't be magnetised, but the nose section is cleverly mounted and could be swapped out with care with no need to magnetise.

The starter set is a bit stingy rulebook wise, it has the rules but only the stats for the models in the box (eg no marauder destroyer) and only an air to air scenario. Enough as a standalone game I suppose. The Rynn's World book contains the rules too but apparently has a lot more background content and the full set of rules for the other air and ground models as well as aces. It's a shame they want so much for the card game board, especially as to go beyond a basic dogfight you will have to buy it along with the campaign book because the one included with the starter set is a smaller version. They could have at least included a paper one with the campaign book. I wish they had offered a larger boxed set with the campaign book, tokens, game board and some models as to buy it all separately is really quite a lot.Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank-you for that review, Kyrt.

I got the impression - even before the release - that the starter box was just that, a sampler as opposed to the whole game. They made it pretty clear that the Rynn's World book was the path to the complete game.

You are correct that it's a lot more pricey that way, in terms of initial buy in, but being used to Titanincus, it didn't seem like a bad value.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Seems a bit of Stockholm syndrome ;)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I picked up WoV on pre-order and have to say I was pretty pissed off when I realised that the rule book in it was not the "complete" basic rules. With Necromunda it was made very clear that there would be a separate book with the campaign system in it and was happy enough with that. However the Rynns War book was explicitly stated that it contains the same rules as WoV and so perfect for those who who wanted to split the box set with a friend (plus it contained additional campaign rules). As I see it one person out of that deal looses out and then has to buy a £20 basically duplicated set of rules from RW to expand their collection with other planes and aces etc. Just economical with the truth maybe, but to me it was a dropped ball by GW marketing. Must admit i'll be photocopying a set of the full rules from RW as soon as I get the chance.

That said, otherwise I'm pretty pleased with the value of the WoV set (at internet prices), and looking forward to getting a game in.

My expectation is that WoV is a one-and-gone print run and they will be doing multiple WoV style sets switching out the protagonists as the game expands (as they are now for 40k). I expect the next to be orks and eldar seeing as they are already showing off the eldar artwork.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next