Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Tau Vior'la v2.0

Post subject: Re: Tau Vior'la v2.0
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What do you guys think about this list? I'm planing on using it soon, but I can't decide if I'm overrating the Manta alpha strike.

3000 POINTS
NetEA Tau Vior'la (2.2)
==================================================

Core formations:
FIRE WARRIOR BREACHER CADRE [400]
6 Fire Warrior Breacher units, 3 Devilfish, Skyray, Shas'o Commander

FIRE WARRIOR BREACHER CADRE [300]
6 Fire Warrior Breacher units, 3 Devilfish, Skyray

FIRE WARRIOR BREACHER CADRE [250] <-- This one starts inside the Orca
6 Fire Warrior Breacher units, 2 Pathfinder units

Support formations:
BROADSIDE GROUP [300] <-- This one starts inside the Manta
6 XV88 Broadside battlesuits

HEAVY BATTLESUIT CADRE [350] <-- This one starts inside the Manta
Shas'el Commander, 3 XV109 Y'Vahra

KX139 TA'UNAR SUPREMACY [225]
1 KX139 Ta'unar Supremacy Battlesuit unit, Pulse-Ordinance Multi-Driver

KX139 TA'UNAR SUPREMACY [225]
1 KX139 Ta'unar Supremacy Battlesuit unit, Pulse-Ordinance Multi-Driver

Air caste formations:
MANTA DROPSHIP [575] <-- Deployed by Planetfall

SPACECRAFT [225]
1 Protector Class II Cruiser

ORCA DROPSHIP [150] <-- Deployed as a regular bomber

It's a bit short on activations for my taste, but the Manta is very expensive[/quote]

The Manta is difficult to apply. When I planet fell, I would drop everything together on a flank, to roll the carpet. Or drop with the objective of taking BTS, Blitz, and denying TSNP. Its a one trick pony. Be careful as your BTS is a gift in planet fall!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:20 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

@Cachivachi: I appreciate you weighing in with your concerns. Could you provide a little more detail on your games to help give a better perspective? Specifically, what list build your group finds to be OP, maybe specific units and what folks don't like about them, and what lists are struggling against them.

I have to disagree about this list not losing anything from third sphere. Three major losses include:
1) no hammerheads, which means no hover tanks avoiding CC and popping up behind cover;
2) loss of cheap recon formations, which are key to the popular high activation "pop corn" tau lists and a great for screening and setting up Combined Fire first term alpha strikes;
3) general loss of range. Most of the list functions at a max of 45cm. Third Sphere uses the hammerheads to shoot up advancing forces as they close.

I'm not discounting what you're saying, I want to have a better perspective on your concerns. There could be an aspect or stress test not previously considered, it's why we have open testing! I've worked to try and keep heavy suits from being too competitive when spammed, but maybe another look is necessary.

I will add, if someone is choosing to play a list that's boring to play against doesn't necessarily mean it's also OP unless it's easily rolling opponents and lists are struggling to find ways to beat it. Maybe a rule similar to the Aussie's DBAD could help at tournaments.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:24 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

@Carlix Take a stab at it! Mantas fall in that same awkward category as reavers and other titans in that point range. Since epic is so activation dependent, it's hard for formations/units that expensive to earn their value. Doesn't mean they're not fun to play with though, or look awesome on the table!

Net EA Chair

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
I struggle to win many games with Vior'la in my local meta, what kind of lists are you facing and using against it? I'd be keen to see a take on a suit-heavy OP list as I find myself wishing for that 3rd skyray most of the time

Basically full WE in the first versions of this list, today almost full WE with the preceptive pathfinder formations to unlock the WE and use markerlights...

Usually in minigeddon or 2000 points games... So you can imagine results.

CarlixTomix wrote:

No offense, but this makes very little sense to me. Heavy battlesuits were already limited in the transition from the previous iteration of Vior'la list to this one, as they were core before.
Other than that, you probably didn't notice that core to support ratio is 1:2 for Vior'la list (its 1:3 in Third sphere list), and making it 1:1 would definitely cripple the list.

Said to you a lot of times. Even yesterday by whatsapp...

It would definitely cripple the list as you play the mandatory core to use as much WE as you can. Usially in minigeddon or 2000 points lists, as you know...

::)

CarlixTomix wrote:

If anything, Vior'la lost range comparing to the Third sphere expansion Tau list, as for example every Hammerheads version has a more range than its equivalent Heavy Battlesuit version, or fire warriors losing their 30 cm range shot.
Vior'la list capitalizes on the 15-45cm range while Third Sphere feels more comfortable at 30-75cm range.
Only Supremacy and Stormsurge are an exception to this.

You barely used hammerheads. They're much less durable than WE battlesuits as you know. And tell me you don't use Supremacy and Stormsurge...

::)

CarlixTomix wrote:

About the "without any handicap" part, Vior'la lost Tetras and piranhas, as they are a mere upgrade to a 200 points formation instead of a super cheap formation itself.
Also, Vior'la lost Barracudas in exchange for Razorsharks, and while they are good enough their cost is 200 points instead of 150, losing some list flexibility.
Not to mention Tigersharks AX-1-0.

Tetras and piranhas formations can be replaced with pathfinders w/transports, almost with te same function, price, but increased durability (infantry in cover thanks to vehicles). So...

CarlixTomix wrote:

This is weird, I didn't have any good results in my local meta and the other players agree that it's underperforming right now.
Could you please bring us more information on what list did you play against?

You always say "this is weird", "it makes no sense", but all of us told you... Using that list you lost just once, vs AMTL full of long range MW...

gunslinger007 wrote:
@Cachivachi: I appreciate you weighing in with your concerns. Could you provide a little more detail on your games to help give a better perspective? Specifically, what list build your group finds to be OP, maybe specific units and what folks don't like about them, and what lists are struggling against them.

I have to disagree about this list not losing anything from third sphere. Three major losses include:
1) no hammerheads, which means no hover tanks avoiding CC and popping up behind cover;
2) loss of cheap recon formations, which are key to the popular high activation "pop corn" tau lists and a great for screening and setting up Combined Fire first term alpha strikes;
3) general loss of range. Most of the list functions at a max of 45cm. Third Sphere uses the hammerheads to shoot up advancing forces as they close.

I'm not discounting what you're saying, I want to have a better perspective on your concerns. There could be an aspect or stress test not previously considered, it's why we have open testing! I've worked to try and keep heavy suits from being too competitive when spammed, but maybe another look is necessary.

I will add, if someone is choosing to play a list that's boring to play against doesn't necessarily mean it's also OP unless it's easily rolling opponents and lists are struggling to find ways to beat it. Maybe a rule similar to the Aussie's DBAD could help at tournaments.

Hi. Basically think that this list is OP in minigeddon and <2000 point games, due to WE spam. And keeps competitive in >2000 point games.

About what you say about the lacks of this list:

Hammerheads - Very vulnerable to artillery or teleporting units. Long range WE suits much more robust in this role. Not a "glass hammer" as the hammerheads are.

Lost of cheap recon - They mantain pathfinders as core options, wich are cheap too, and can be used as screen with increased durability (because are infantry) and can be almost as mobile as tetras are.

General loss of range - Totally disagree, Basically because of Stormsurge long range fire (1x MW3+, 2xAT5 guided) and Supremacy, wich can be spammed at will. Plus having new indirect fire capability with 3rd phase lacks. All of this units with increased survival capabilities with better armor and WE rules.

Nonetheless, Vior'la keeps Manta and Orca to deploy short range units everywhere, mantaining good antiair capabilities, and with new AT/antiWE weapons.

Just my opinion. All of the exposed pretends to be constructive criticism. Please, take it this way. Maybe it has been said in a rough way because my english is not the best.

To finnish, as a funny curiosity, here, in our local NetEA group, we made a joke: "To r ape*" is translated to spanish as "Violar". We call this list, when used by CarlixTomix, "Lista de Violar" or "R ape list" in a friendly way. :D

* Forum didn't let me put this word. It's just a curiosity. If someone thinks it's not apropiate, i will erase it.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Cachivache, please let's not flood this thread with personal complaints. Whatever you have to tell me, let's talk it privately.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cachivache wrote:
Hi. Basically think that this list is OP in minigeddon and <2000 point games, due to WE spam. And keeps competitive in >2000 point games.

About what you say about the lacks of this list:

Hammerheads - Very vulnerable to artillery or teleporting units. Long range WE suits much more robust in this role. Not a "glass hammer" as the hammerheads are.

Lost of cheap recon - They mantain pathfinders as core options, wich are cheap too, and can be used as screen with increased durability (because are infantry) and can be almost as mobile as tetras are.

General loss of range - Totally disagree, Basically because of Stormsurge long range fire (1x MW3+, 2xAT5 guided) and Supremacy, wich can be spammed at will. Plus having new indirect fire capability with 3rd phase lacks. All of this units with increased survival capabilities with better armor and WE rules.

Nonetheless, Vior'la keeps Manta and Orca to deploy short range units everywhere, mantaining good antiair capabilities, and with new AT/antiWE weapons.

Just my opinion. All of the exposed pretends to be constructive criticism. Please, take it this way. Maybe it has been said in a rough way because my english is not the best.

To finnish, as a funny curiosity, here, in our local NetEA group, we made a joke: "To r ape*" is translated to spanish as "Violar". We call this list, when used by CarlixTomix, "Lista de Violar" or "R ape list" in a friendly way. :D

* Forum didn't let me put this word. It's just a curiosity. If someone thinks it's not apropiate, i will erase it.

Y hay un problema. inicialmente cada armada, cada lista esta puesta para un equilibrio a 3000 puntos. este fue games workshop dispositivo creado. El mismo dispositivo ha sido traido por la comunidad. Es un problema conocido con Epic. Epic fue una linea recta para alcanzar una percepción de equilibrio.
Una vez que se san los 3000 puntos, se crean polos opuestos. Donde la armada se convierte no naturalmente fuerte mientras las otras armadas sufren. Por ejemplo: el iron warrior de brad fue aplastado a 5000 puntos en contra AMTL. [url]http://armiger84.blogspot.com/2019/05/20190525-iron-warriors-v31-vs-amtl.html/url] AMTL es conocido por ser una bestia sobre 3000 puntos.
La misma situación ocurre cuando es por debajo de los 3000 puntos. algunas armadas tienen ventaja. Y otras sufren esto internamente a lo largo de la imperfección.
Yo creo que esto es donde el abuso que ustedes están experimentando proviene. La constante de 3000 puntos inyecto en el proyecto de diseño para equilibrar todas las armadas. Al recto del ocurrente desarrollo y el proceso de aprobación, no debería haber cambios.
No hay nada que diga que deben jugar a este nivel. mini-geddon en si mismo ha impuesto limites para restablecer el equilibrio. Y con cualquier war-game es un social común acuerdo entre los oponentes. Por lo tanto cuando se juega afuera de las lineas de 3000 puntos disenadas, se deberían hacer ajustes de la información y la experiencia cuando se necesita. como mini-army, yo no creo que el proceso de desarrollo is imperfecto cuando se considera la información de una division mas pequeña de las reglas internas. mini-geddon.

And there is the problem. Initially every army, every list is set up for balance and tested at 3000 points. This was a GW created device. The same device has been carried on by the community. It is a known problem with Epic. Epic was a linear design to achieve a perceived balance.
Once you pass 3000 points polar opposites are created. Where armies become unnaturally strong while other armies suffer. Example; Brad's Iron Warriors got smashed at 5000 points against AMTL. AMTL is known to be a beast above 3000 points. [url]http://armiger84.blogspot.com/2019/05/20190525-iron-warriors-v31-vs-amtl.html/url]
The same situation occurs when below 3000 points. Some armies have an advantage. And others suffer this internal core wide design flaw.

I believe this is where the abuse you are experiencing is coming from. The standard constant (3000 points) injected into the design process to achieve balance across armies. In this respect to the current development and approval process, no changes should be made.

There is nothing that says you must play at this point level. Mini-geddon in itself has imposed limits in an attempt to restore balance. And with any war-game it is a social argeement between to opponents. Therefore when playing outside of the linear 3000 point design line, you should make adjustments as the data and experience dictates. As mini-geddon. I do not believe the development process to be flawed when considering data from a micro sub set of the core rules, mini-geddon.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:09 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I think folias hit the nail on the head here. These are tournament lists designed with tournament play (3000pts) in mind. Most of the lists start to bend the further you get from that standard number, as evidenced by Miniggedon having additional restrictions/boosts for different armies to allow for more fair play at that point level.

All that said, I'm still happy to consider you points regarding list balance. I'd just ask you provide a little more insight into the games you're experiencing. Ideally battle reports since they are the most detailed, but alternatively lists used, objectives gained, and descriptions or narratives of your games. If nothing else, the community might be able to offer suggestions on tactics to combat the list!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Net EA Chair

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:37 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

like Folais and Gunslinger say, I think most lists are skewed at minigeddon, space marines are absolutely awful if you can't take aircraft, and eldar were too powerful with the double-retain and now are pretty poor with no retain at all......

I'd still be interested to see both the builds that are proving problematic as well as the lists that are losing to them, it might also be of benefit to see the kind of tables you play on as terrain density can have a huge impact on many lists, but especially one with a shooting focus

Kyrt wrote:
Do you play with 3rd phase also?

Aye, I tend to do a little better with them, extra range and higher activation count helps

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
like Folais and Gunslinger say, I think most lists are skewed at minigeddon, space marines are absolutely awful if you can't take aircraft, and eldar were too powerful with the double-retain and now are pretty poor with no retain at all......

I'd still be interested to see both the builds that are proving problematic as well as the lists that are losing to them, it might also be of benefit to see the kind of tables you play on as terrain density can have a huge impact on many lists, but especially one with a shooting focus

Kyrt wrote:

Aye, I tend to do a little better with them, extra range and higher activation count helps
Might we see you bring them to a tournament?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:54 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Kyrt wrote:
kyussinchains wrote:

Kyrt wrote:

Twist his arm to bring them to worlds!

Net EA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

gunslinger007 wrote:
Kyrt wrote:
kyussinchains wrote:

Kyrt wrote:

Twist his arm to bring them to worlds!

We will be in Scotland. I can bring whatever you would like.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:27 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Kyrt wrote:

Probably not this year, I'm only doing the world's and the GT and I'm planning on painting orks for the foreseeable future, I may try and get my tau painted up after that

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A quick one, we are going to play a game and we noticed that the Pulse Ordinance Multi Driver shows as having ''Ignore Cover'' instead on ''Ind''. It has Indirect Fire, isn´t it?

And by the way, thank you very much for dropping the RA from several armours, it was a pain to roll dice thrice and separately for each unit from several formations for saves.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:18 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Abetillo wrote:
A quick one, we are going to play a game and we noticed that the Pulse Ordinance Multi Driver shows as having ''Ignore Cover'' instead on ''Ind''. It has Indirect Fire, isn´t it?

And by the way, thank you very much for dropping the RA from several armours, it was a pain to roll dice thrice and separately for each unit from several formations for saves.
Correct, Ind not IC. Carlix brought that to my attention and I need to get the fix posted.

And glad you like the direction its heading in! I think we're pretty close to a final version to push to approval.

Net EA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:40 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Got three games in with Vior'la at NEAT this year.

List note: skyrays are listed at 75pts, a decrease from 100 in third Sphere. They need to be brought back up to 100.

Vior'la 2.2 v Steel Legion
Breacher + devilfish + Shas'o + skyray
Breacher + devilfish + skyray
Pathfinder + devilfish
2x R'varna + riptide
2x R'varna + riptide
Stealthsuit + 2x ghostkeels
Stealthsuit + 2x ghostkeels
Supremacy w POMD
Razorsharks
Razorsharks
Spacecraft

Regimental HQ + hydra + 2x ogryns + 2xchimera
Mech company + hydra
Infantry co + hydra
Infantry co + hydra
Manticore battery
Basilisk battery
Shadowsword
Shadowsword
Shadowsword
Death strikes

Right off the bat I was concerned about this list. It had more than enough ways to 1) kill my heavy suits with ease and 2) out range me while I was forced to advance, 3) absorb the fire from my list. I decided to make an aggressive play, teleporting my stealth suits on turn 1 to try and disrupt his formations as much as possible.

This paid off, with me narrowly winning strategy. I used my one stealth formation to engage and wipe out the death strikes and another to break the manticores. This was met with swift retribution as the two mech infantry formations wiped out both stealth formations. However, I activated my spaceship to destroy a shadowsword, beginning to chip away at activations and TK threats.

While the large infantry formations still posed enough mass to make it difficult to push them around, with concentrated fire over three turns I broke and almost wiped out most of them. The breachers' 2x shots were invaluable and the Skyrays helped to negate the penalties for doubling.

The fight culminated with me breaking the BTs, pushing it off of both his DtF objectives, and clearing the way for a march by heavy suits to grab the blitz.

3-0 Tau: T&H, Blitz, DtF

Round 2
Vior'la v Tau

Got to face off against 3rd Sphere Tau running a "test" Manta drop list. The Manta had 2x 3+ heavy rail cannons and cost 75 pts less.

3rd Sphere
Crisis + 2 suits + Shas'o
Fire warriors + 2 drones
Fire warriors + 2 drones
4 Ionheads
Stealth suits
Stealth suits
Stealth suits
Kroot + 14 warriors
Spacecraft
Manta
Orca

Mattie plays a lot of Tau and was trying out this all in style list. Based on objective set up, I had a good idea where the Manta would come down. I tried to set up in a way to hold back too much early damage. He deployed all three of his stealth suits ready to pounce on my BTS w kroot garrisoned near his T&H.

I lucked out with a first turn strategy win, and used my breachers to break two stealth formations. The big turn came for his spaceship and.....it failed to activate. This set up the rest of turn 1, letting me hint down and wipe out the stealth formations and put BMs on the kroot. Upside was my spaceship showed up on turn 1 now w no Manta to shoot at.

Despite all of this, mattie made a great game of it. His kroot dug into a building and I could not move them. I even lost a supported engagement, and almost had my BTS wiped out. The Manta did some damage, but to be fair, my the time it arrived, the battle line was stressed between holding objectives and trying to break formations. I think the changes helped it, but it still suffers the same problems most expensive WEs do, you're usually better off with activations. The better fire output does feel like its worth the points more though.

Ultimately this ended 4-0, Vior'la. Only missed out on BTS.

Last round was against Dave, whose an incredibly cagey player, and speeding elder jetbikes just make him all the more cagey.

Saim Hann
Wild Rider + 3 vyper + chieftain + Farseer
Wild rider + 3 vyper + farseer
Wild rider + 3 vyper + farseer
Wild rider +3 vyper + farseer
Cobra
Night spinners
Night spinners
2× firestorms +3 xfire prism
2x firestorms + 4 falcon
2x firestorms + 4 falcon
Phoenix bombers

This was a tough one from the start. I was slightly out activated, and got punished as such with those Eldar triple retains. The high light was Dave winning initiative, activating his cobra to use it before it got glassed by my spacecraft, and it failing it's dangerous terrain test and crashing into a tree. Turn one Dave used his ranged shooting and activation advantage to get some good angles on my formations, but I hung around for most of it.

The real kicker was the beginning of turn 2. Dave summoned his avatar, ready to engage. I won activation, and went to try and break it with shooting from a stealth squad. Not even enough to break it. This forced me to retain w heavy suits to finish the job. Unfortunately, this meant the wild riders the heavyset had been dialed up to fire on were unaccosted and my other stealth formation that was by the night spinners, didnt get to activate. Dave quickly took advantage, engaging w his BTS on the threatening stealth suits, and wiping them out. The razorsharks came up big here braving the fire from two firestorms to intercept and kill two of the three phoenix bombers.

At the start of turn three I was still hanging in a bit, but dave won strategy, and triple retained, breaking two formations and wiping out another. That was the end for Vior'la. I had a few harrassment activations to go, trying to break him off my blitz, not hitting, etc. But the writing was on the wall.

3-0 Eldar: Blitz, T&H, BTS

That last game was the only time I really felt outgunned, although I got lucky from early activations in the first two games. Saim hann is tough, with lots of speed and ranges longer than Vior'la. Give them to dave and it's a challenge of a game.

No one seemed to have issues with the list. I think the shorter range and loss of hover tanks def gives it a unique play style. The Supremacy suit PomB didnt feel overwhelming although I still like the idea of bp/keeping cohesion between Epic UK and net:EA. I think at this point, that's really the last issue to resolve before working towards 18 games for approval. I'd like to hear if anyone else has taken it and what they think.

Net EA Chair

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next