Login |  Register |  FAQ

questions on basing

Post subject: questions on basing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So Im new to epic, and 6mm in general. When basing units so I need to place all models on a single base? What I mean is when looking into making a dark eldar army I see a normal Kabal Syndicate is comprised of 6 warriors and a sybarite/archon. So do all 7 models need to be places on the bases? Because a lot of the old epic bases only fit 5.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: questions on basing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A Dark Eldar formation is 6 x bases with 3-7 models attached per base (most commonly used number is 5). A Sybarite or Archon is a character, which is added to an existing base, either adding to or replacing one of the usual number on the base.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome to Epic !

Essentially, when the army list refers to a 'Unit' it is talking about a single base. Units are then normally organised into formations for game purposes. For example, using the Dark Eldar Army List again, there is a Wych Cult formation which comprises six Wych units. This formation will therefore consist of six bases, each with 3-7 wych models on.

For vehicles, the army list may just refer to something like this

Formation : Talos
Units : Four Talos

In this case, the Unit only consists of a single model (one Talos machine). The formation consists of four of these models.

Bear in mind that orders are normally given to formations, not to individual units.

Hope this helps but feel free to fire off questions.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So in this example I get the warriors are stands, the archons a unit, are the wytches, and Haemonculi units or stands?

Edit:also did I miss a section in the book about this? Thanks to all for your help and patience.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not quite.

Formations (kabal syndicate) have units (warriors).

A stand is a modelling term - in the game it is just a type of unit (an infantry unit, with one or more models on it). In this case the warriors unit is modelled as a stand of warrior models.

A character (archon) is an addition to a unit - think of them as wargesr. The unit's basic stats are unchanged, they just gain the abilities and weapons of the character.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

By the way I think you are asking about Epic Armageddon but just noticed you posted in the netepic section.

Netepic is a different game entirely.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kyrt wrote:
By the way I think you are asking about Epic Armageddon but just noticed you posted in the netepic section.

Netepic is a different game entirely.

Yes pretty sure he's actually discussing 4th edition here, not NetEpic. However it's also good to note to bitbrother that outside the Character bit (3rd and 4th have those), the terms formations, units, stands are all pretty much the same meaning across all versions of epic. So even if he's wanting NetEpic and just got confused at what he was looking at, that clarity should still be of benefit.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Shit. Im sorry, basic incompetence mistake. Im reading Gold net Epic and using battlescribe to build my army list which only has the 4th edition list. Im sorry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, the NetEpic Gold army lists are not on Battlescribe. At least, not that I am aware of. You will have to use the Eldar PDF to build army lists.

Still, what has been said above is correct. If you really want the "classic" 2nd edition feel for your army, then square bases with 5 little dudes per stand (for Infantry) is a must. NetEpic Gold does allow for other base shapes, but the square is the standard.

To use an example from the NetEpic Gold Eldar PDF, the Raider Kabal.
_ This is a Company formation with four Detachments (orders are given per Detachment).
_ _ The first detachment consists of a Dracon stand (IE, a 2cm x 2cm base with five little figures on it), an Incubi stand (again, a base with five figs on it), and a Command Raider.
_ _ The other three detachments each consist of 1 Warrior Cadre, which if you look lower down on the page consists of 6 Warrior stands (each being a base with 5 little figs on it) and 3 Raiders.
_ This gives the Company a total of 20 stands and 10 vehicles, for a total of 30 'models'.

To have the above looking perfect you would need a total of 100 little figures to put on the bases. You could probably get away with a minimum of three little figures per base, for a total of 60 little figures, but five per base just looks better.

Generally speaking, vehicles are not based. Some people prefer otherwise for various reasons, so if you want to base them that is fine, but it is not necessary.

In any event, welcome to NetEpic Gold, and Epic gaming in general. If you have questions, feel free to ask. Do also read through older threads though, as many questions have been asked and answered in various places.