Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

[Fanlist] Imperial Penal Legion

Post subject: Re: [Fanlist] Imperial Penal Legion
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah think so, too. The Stormhammer isn't much better though..

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mhmm.. the list contains 2 entries for the commissar upgrade with different costs. 50 and 25 pts. I think 50 is too much for this otherwise free character. It would be useful as an upgrade for the tank and SHT formations as well in my opinion.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

allright, tomorrow we are going to take that sweety list for a walk. we've been talking and considering options over a couple of beers tonight and will use commissars at 25pts with the upgrade option also to superheavies using the minervan commissar rule of giving ff small arms +1 ea instead of base contact assault mw. also we will replace the baneblade with the low tech stormhammer, which goes nicely with a commissar. next we will add the confessor upgrade for penal companies and abhuman mobs only (and only 1 per full 1500pts). the confessor: a character granting fearless and frenzy to the attached formation and an extra cc assault weapon +1 ea (zealous wrath!) to the specific unit that is upgraded. of course frenzy and fearless will only apply to the formation as long as the confessor is alive and kicking. we thought about giving it inspiring as well as we thought it fitting but think there is too much of an advantage when paired up with a commissar. so we will leave it. confessor cost is 50pts due to its limited character.

also we will add the walker treat to the mobile detention blocks.

lastly we thought about the living shield upgrade for the leman russ and hellhounds. it is an auto buy (even though no cost involved) to fend off teleports or landaz when losing the strategy roll only to be ground undertrack and left behind when its your turn and you choose to order double on your tanks. so a bit of a scout like soaker in a way. don't know wether its fair.. but hey.. thematic all the more for it ;D

opponent will be orks

will post lists and pictures on sunday or monday

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

phewww.. we did it! what a monster! good fun! ;D

took notes and pictures and will post them over the next days. have to make sense of my notes first ;)

nevertheless up front the lists that we used:

immyzimms Penal Legion 3000 pts

Penal Company 200
2xMobile Detention Block 150
Suicide Martyrs 0
Commissar 25

Penal Company 200
Suicide Martyrs 0
8x Transporters 50
Commissar 25

Abhuman Company 125
2xOgryns 50
Commissar 25
Confessor 50

Abhuman Company 125
2xOgryns 50
Commissar 25
Confessor 50

Last Chancers 200
4xTransporters 25

Last Chancers 200

8. Penal Legion Command Force 225
Supreme Commander 50
Commissar 25
2xFire Support 50
1xextra Chimera 25
Hydra 50

Hellhounds 250
2xThunderer 75
Hydra 50
Living Shield 0

Leman Russ Punishers and Thunderers 325
Hydra 50
Living Shield 0

Stormhammer SHT 225
Commissar 25
Living Shield 0

and my glorious orks:

Incompertus, 3005 POINTS
Ghazgkhull Thraka's War Horde (NetEA Tournament Pack 2013)
==================================================

BLITZ BRIGADE (BIG) [350]
2 Flakwagon, 6 Gunwagon, 2 Oddboy

BLITZ BRIGADE [200]
3 Gunwagon, Flakwagon, Oddboy

KULT OF SPEED [200]
4 Warbuggy, 4 Skorcha

KULT OF SPEED [200]
8 Warbike

MEKBOY GUNZMOB (BIG) [360]
10 Big Gunz, Nobz, 2 Oddboy

STORMBOYZ WARHORDE [150]
6 Stormboyz

WARBAND [260]
2 Nobz, 6 Boyz, 2 Grotz, Boyz + Grotz, Nobz

WARBAND (BIG) [385]
4 Nobz, 12 Boyz, 4 Grotz, Nobz, Warlord

MEKBOY STOMPAMOB [500]
3 Stompa, Supa Stompa

FIGHTA SKWADRON [200]
4 Fighta Bomba

LANDA [200]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Attachment:
Monitor Lizard.jpg
Monitor Lizard.jpg [ 63.66 KiB | Viewed 13166 times ]

Sorry I haven't had the chance to respond, just been burred with other stuff. That looks like a fun time with that list. You've exactly nailed the living shield concept. I've held off so far adding it to more formations until I get some more feedback on it but it's on the radar for sure.

Anything specific stand out for you?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

sorry, i still didn't manage to get the pictures from my new workphone. can't copy them to card or send via email. it's rediculous.. but i won't forget about it.

nevertheless..

the game as it went was fun. we considered it a draw after round three with a slight advantage to penal legion (1-0). we often pondered together what a good tactic would be in some situations during the game. also it was a game of very obidient troops. almost no hold was placed on any troop since the initiative rolls went really well.

some quick thoughts.

last chancers are really hardcore. in the right hands the have tremendous potential. you can motorize the whole gang for 25pts. they seem a bit underpriced for what the can actually do. but we'll need to test those again.

leman russ punishers are .. wow.. just wow.. my buddy rolled exeptionally well for them admittedly and vs my orks they just killed. i didn't managed to kill a single tank. even with a packed landa assault. his luck was unbeatable with them and the 2 meat shields fended off two hits. offensive wise the punisher gatling is an intimidating weapon, shredding my kult of speed and blastmarkered it most efficiently. supporting last cancers with them is most effective.

the stormhammer addition with the minervan commissar is always a nice combination and erformed quite well as supporter. my oddboys did not manage to hit a single time throughout the whole game and i wasted two blitzbrigades on it. the meat shielders survived until the end.

suicide vests could have been fun, but didn't make it into base to base. pity.

confessors were op they way we played it. granting the whole abhuman comps fearless was too much of a killer. also with the added ogryns and commissars. they proved to be unkillable and with the additional frenzy rule they managed to pull of auto assaults. so either way we are going to limit the confessor to 1 per full 2000pts and it will see a higher point cost of 100pts. very expensive, but so very usefull. beware of snipers though. we will stick to the fearless and frenzy rule for good fun and thematic feeling.

the mobile dentention blocks performed ok. that company got massacred though in oddboy mw barrages and did not accomplish anything more then providing some sport for the ork big gunz.

the hellhound squad and command force feel just sweet. they did not overperform and did their thing exactly as desired. supporting the other last chancer squad in their suicide missions. hellhounds left their meat shields behind with their first activation.

overall the list feels fun to play. it was the first time and since we mostly worked together i can't really comment on unholy syneregies and the like. but the last chancers together with the leman russ punisher definetedly need to be watched when working paired up. it's really nasty. the 2 abhuman mobs felt too strong/cheap in this game due to the confessor character.

the orks underperformed in this game. the supa stompa mob and landa were just a big desaster, hitting nothing or completely failing to pentrate armour. could have been a different games otherwise.

i will check my notes again if there was anything elso noteworthy, but for the next game the penal troopers will face steel legion or marines and there will be no working together.

might i suggest that you could add the confessor char for 100pts per full 2000pts to the list?
also the commissars feel right at 25pts.

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah the confessor seemed a wee bit strong in your initial description. Bumping to 100 is probably wise. The punisher is just a beast in FF. Woe to the unprepared assaulting them. They may need a range tweeak (they're actually 20" in 40k so that translates to 20cm in epic but people fear anything but multiples of 15). Also you've hut in how this is a very character driven army so sniper weapons are very effective.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

taking the list for another spin tomorrow! :spin

i'll use it this time and don't know yet which army I will face, though it will be standard approved. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I look forward to seeing the results!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

man.. got hammered. lost 3-1. game vs. demon and we heavy black legion list.

didn't know what i did wrong, except that i kept catching holds all over and forgetting the special rule of "you have failed me for the last time". couldn't bring any of my tanks to bear, since he avoided nearly any LOS and short ranged as they are i needed to close in which put me in easy range of raptors and demonic beasts or he broke me with bombers squads. virtually nothing i could do. he even jet out of range of my bombards and shadowsword.

2nd turn i managed to break the teleport attack of the terminators (6) which came in to wipe out my bts (penal legion command)and summoned a shitload of demons and a great unclean one. luckily he dicided to ff me out of cover since my shadowsword was in overwatch and covered my formation. so the greater demon was in danger. first time his dice left him and my save on chimeras were outstanding. broke him. and after all demons were destroyed my bombasds blew his termies to pieces the last ones were killed by the shadowsword. bts for me. yeah. another formation of last chancers managed to get into base to base with a feral titan and finished it of for no losses, denying heavy support fire from chaos troops nearby.

but that was it for me. my oppoent managed to pull off real nice assaults with raptors + demonic pact, that took vital activations from me and ravaged me with his decimators and predators as well. the feral managed to kill also an awfull lot of troops before it was brought down. the real killers were his bombers. those 2 templates of ignore cover and further weapons were the bane of my large infatery formations. heavy toll. i couldn't shoot them down with my hydras. hit them but he managed to make his saves and also to bring them in every turn.

overall it was pretty frustrating even though funnily the confessor was the only unit that survived from his abhuman formation.

will post the lists later on, if beelzemetz sends me his again.
(btw.. he was one of the poor guys which lost their accounts and all posts here and tried to get it reactivated, for no avail though. is there anything that can be done about it? or does he need a new account?)

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Graf_Spee wrote:
Mhmm.. the list contains 2 entries for the commissar upgrade with different costs. 50 and 25 pts. I think 50 is too much for this otherwise free character. It would be useful as an upgrade for the tank and SHT formations as well in my opinion.

Cheers

Also, the Last Chancer's Hot Shot Lasguns have AT5+/AT6+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

good catches.

updated in OP

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice work buddy; my thoughts however erratic are:

Would a Penal Legion get Titan Support?
Cant see stats for the Hydra
6 hellhounds for 250? 3 cost 100 normally
DC3 for the transport? why not DC2 5+ reinforced? (reinforced as its essentially a prison)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In a word: balance

Take her out for a spin and report back. If we need to jigger her upwards, let's do it then.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:38 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

junkstar wrote:
Nice work buddy; my thoughts however erratic are:

Would a Penal Legion get Titan Support?
Cant see stats for the Hydra
6 hellhounds for 250? 3 cost 100 normally
DC3 for the transport? why not DC2 5+ reinforced? (reinforced as its essentially a prison)

I can imagine the Ad-mech having some interrst in a a penal legion as a source of material for experiments and servitors....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next