Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146  Next

Troublemaker Games 6mm Range

Post subject: Re: Troublemaker Games 6mm Range
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow, only just seen these. Lovely stuff. Great to have you back working on things.

Almost missed this thread though, shouldn't this be in the vanguard area? Or are you back to making your own gear again? So many companies now, its confusing! lol

Anyway- I like the filled in windows, having double sided panels is a better bonus. Been making some buildings from the 40k ones, and the worse part is adding in floors in the middle or needing to cover up the old doors or windows. If they are easy enough to cut out, then you get the best of both worlds- I understand that people want to save time, but its a lot harder to fill the holes than it is to cut them out. I'd rather have to spend an extra half hour cutting them out, and have them be more flexible to both crowds. Agree that ruins need no windows though, as it will look silly.

Though the cut outs in the industrial ones look great, similar enough to the old necro ones, they will be excellent to work with, some really great things came out of those old bulkheads, can only imagine what monstrosities the epic crowd will come up with!

Love the idea of metal add-ons. Though it is possible to create them with add-ons in mind, and not need to make anything else, as plenty of stuff already exists, mostly around the house items.

Price is excellent. MDF buildings are around the £2.50/£3 mark, so these being cheaper would let people buy in bulk, and do some really mad stuff. (take a look at the 40k scale cathedrals and the like, and those 40k scale kits can be a pain to build!)

Seems odd to do a 4 panel sprue though, when you need 5 for a building, unless that's the cheapest tooling option. I've had plenty of practice now, so could make my own roofs, so my panel could go a lot further, but someone that cant/wont is going to end up with three left over panels for a building- though of course this sorts itself out if people buy in bulk. (though it works out fine if you are making 2 sprue buildings and up of course!)

Interested to see what you do for skinners, I love making terrain, and space orcs are my favourite race. But if you are going for the classic space orc hut style, they might be a bit simple looking to warrant spending money on a kit- the classic look after all is a box shape with a hole for a door! Pretty easy to do from foamboard. Plus they tend to have odd sized boxes, which you wont get from a sprue of 4 identical pieces. Still, if you come up with a cracking idea, even one that I can stick on to my own foamboard creations, I'd go in for half a ton!

I'm all for gothic. There's a reason its done to death- its a classic look, and suits this scale/genre perfectly!

reluctant on using a kickstarter tbh. I understand you need to fund this, and I completely understand it was NOT your fault, but after the long wait on the original plastic ones, then having to spend a week flinging emails back and forth to update my address, it was more hassle than it was worth in the end (as much as I like the vehicles, I've painted ONE skinner, as the troops are not very impressive, sorry!) I'd also have to explain why money I dont really have is tied up in another kickstarter, especially when I showed a lack of disappointment in the first! Not your problem, sure, but its a thought.

Good luck though, these will be a great addition to 6mm tables!

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
I'm not sure what styles to follow on with - Modern office? Skinners semi-ruined industrial? Ruins?

Am open to suggestions and bribes :)

Well, I suggested a whole bunch a few pages ago.

ForgottenLore wrote:
For possible themes I see

Gothic
Industrial
Modernistic residential
Hi tech futurist
Ramshackle semi-ruins
Overtly military if you can figure out how to depict that on flat panels.
Alien of some sort (more than one if you can come up with multiple workable themes)
Art Deco
Maaaaybe something very abstract and techno. Like you might see in Tron. Such a thing would probably require some work from the end user to rationalize, but it would be unique and very different and might cross over into larger scale games too.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ForgottenLore wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:
I'm not sure what styles to follow on with - Modern office? Skinners semi-ruined industrial? Ruins?

ForgottenLore wrote:
For possible themes I see

Gothic
Industrial
Modernistic residential
Hi tech futurist
Ramshackle semi-ruins
Overtly military if you can figure out how to depict that on flat panels.
Alien of some sort (more than one if you can come up with multiple workable themes)
Art Deco
Maaaaybe something very abstract and techno. Like you might see in Tron. Such a thing would probably require some work from the end user to rationalize, but it would be unique and very different and might cross over into larger scale games too.

I guess open windows are out. Pity. I just wanted to make it clear that that would not take more time. It would take less. You would not cut out and glue windows into every hole individually. That would of course be madness.

You would do entire multi-tile walls in one go with one windowsheet, adding instawindows and structural integrity at once.

Open windows=less time
Closed windows=more time.

Assuming you would paint the closed windows at all, that is.

Architecture: brutalist. There are plenty of interesting facades out there. The stuff posted above is a bit plain an neoclassic. But I don't have high hopes tbh.

Looking forward to the industry tile. You can't go wrong there.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How restricted on tooling are you E&C? I can see simple additions of groves to add stone texture/quions/leadwork in the windows etc being a real lift to the finished effect, but i get the impression you are limited to a number of "depths" of cut as it were?

Posted using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Almost missed this thread though, shouldn't this be in the vanguard area? Or are you back to making your own gear again? So many companies now, its confusing! lol

Currently this is a solo project, though I suspect Vanguard could become involved in some manner should things progress.

Quote:
Price is excellent. MDF buildings are around the £2.50/£3 mark, so these being cheaper would let people buy in bulk, and do some really mad stuff

Indeed!

It uses the same(ish) panel mating system as the plastics I did for Mantic Games, and the massive scenery structures people have made with those have been very inspiring.

Quote:
Seems odd to do a 4 panel sprue though, when you need 5 for a building, unless that's the cheapest tooling option

Yup it's a tooling thing, the jump up to the next larger tooling size is significant.

The idea is to make the sprues so cheap, that buying in bulk is the default option.

Quote:
reluctant on using a kickstarter tbh. I understand you need to fund this, and I completely understand it was NOT your fault, but after the long wait on the original plastic ones, then having to spend a week flinging emails back and forth to update my address, it was more hassle than it was worth in the end (as much as I like the vehicles, I've painted ONE skinner, as the troops are not very impressive, sorry!) I'd also have to explain why money I dont really have is tied up in another kickstarter, especially when I showed a lack of disappointment in the first! Not your problem, sure, but its a thought.

I hear you on this - which is why I've already tested the chosen tooling company to produce a new bases tool that Vanguard co-funded- turnaround time was under 4 weeks.

I'm also considering self-funding the first tool and having that in place as a demo, with the crowdfunder just for stretch goals.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ForgottenLore wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:

Art Deco!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
How restricted on tooling are you E&C? I can see simple additions of groves to add stone texture/quions/leadwork in the windows etc being a real lift to the finished effect, but i get the impression you are limited to a number of "depths" of cut as it were?

Depths I'm not limited on, widths of cut are limited to a minimum of .5mm, unless we use an electrode cutter which will leave a slightly rough texture.

Grooves shouldn't be an issue to incorporate. Feel like drawing onto a panel where I should put the grooves?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll try to have a go. You've caught me moving into a new house which needs full redecoration - busy time!

Posted using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Unless I've got my eyeballs crossed, this would be an potential example of the terrain that a set of 10 "mixed" sprues would let a player build: 3 small buildings and 3 medium buildings.

That works out at about £2.90 per building if the RRP is £17.50 for 10x sprues- a bit less for the smaller ones, and a bit more for the bigger ones, of course.

Similar resin buildings that I've looked at online seem to go for more like £8-£10 per building, I think?

Eg:
http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/hi ... ld-office/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARHAMMER-EPI ... 2497773701
http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/5-story ... icgoth003/

So these plastic kits (if produced) would reduce the price of building kits by quite a margin, I guess?

Attachments:
a3.jpg
a3.jpg [ 537.07 KiB | Viewed 14868 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I suddenly want to play Deadzone 6mm with these! ;D

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep, looks good. Still more interested in single sprue types, but i like both.

Posted using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Add some cranes, bridges, pipes and what not and you've got yourself some 6mm / 15mm Necromunda happening!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:58 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

It's been a bit since I got them, but I did get my set through initial construction. I need to do a finishing pass on them to add trim around the top of the buildings, fill some gaps, and do something with the panel joints on long sides and corners. All I've got left from my 30 sprues is 2 arch panels and 4 half rosettes. :)

Attachments:
IMG_20180216_005506124_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180216_005506124_HDR.jpg [ 767.17 KiB | Viewed 13697 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:31 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Nice work, those came out/went together quite nicely.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I spent a couple minutes wondering why there wasn't a like button before I realized I was on the forum, not Facebook. They're looking good! Makes me excited to get mine built soon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146  Next