Login |  Register |  FAQ

Epic 4K: Fir Iolarion vs Hawk Lords

Post subject: Epic 4K: Fir Iolarion vs Hawk Lords
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:08 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Another report here, enjoy!
http://hordesofthings.blogspot.co.nz/20 ... lords.html

Note question at bottom of report re Landing Craft.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Epic 4K: Fir Iolarion vs Hawk Lords
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

"We can ill afford another Klendathu" has become a theme of my Starship Troopers themed efforts.

Supreme Commander, 1 Captain, 1 Chaplain, 1 Marine stands, 4 Whirlwinds, 1 Hunter
and 1 Landing Craft survived to extract from the combat zone.

Had not really noticed the critical on the Lander before. In the face of the TK and MW fire in the Eldar arsenal there is no way I should have been landing troops with them. Planetfall leaves troops within 5 cm so when the thing explodes (probably with 4 DC) everything landed gets a hit - hmmm. Landing conventionally would have allowed more flexibility but there is AA on everything in that Eldar list and this leaves BMs on the air assault force, assuming the thing does not explode (low probability due to AA). Does mean that dismounting jump pack troops can get further than 5 cm from Landing Craft to help survival. Air landing would also seriously cut into the activation count - already low at 12 for a 4000 point game.

So, in the face of such an army, a more cautious creep onto the battlefield for turn 1 would have been advisable. Probably. Perhaps pick up troops for a turn 2 (and turn 3) air assault.

Army list selection was fairly heavily biased to keep to theme. Not certain how useful the big jump pack formations are with Hawk Wing devastators in them. It does give some pop-corn shooting but ties a lot of points in a formation that needs to get up close and personal (for assaults). And I did not really manage that in this game (or in any previous game really). Perhaps others might do better. Any advice?

The list structure meant I needed to take, perhaps less fluffy, formations to unlock the Talon Wing detachments. Hence the Whirlwinds/Hunters as heavy support weapons - mentioned in the book.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

From this blog post: yes the crit is "correct" as in that's the crit from the Space Marine Lander unit that's used everywhere. I'm up for trials and testing and debating in another specific thread about that unit crit however so feel free to start a thread in that if you want to explore.

Really nice to see the Hawk Lord's Fan-List getting outings from you. Very much appreciated. In answer for the Hawkwing question, they pack a huge punch in the FF rolls so you get your assault Marines stuck in CC with the enemy. They force the enemy to use their, usually, lower CC roll vs FF (looks at Leman Russ, Chimeras, most infantry, etc...) The devestators then get basically reaction free FF attacks and hopefully you can be up on your resolution if you plan it correct and have some good dice (don't go taking on assaulting targets that outnumber you two to one, which is just good advice in general ;) as well as not doing something stupid like assaulting Titans without MW).

Devs, jump packs or not, main purpose is to engage, not long range shooting. If you can get a second formation in support you're really in the golden zone for winning the roll off and wiping the enemy out by way of hack downs.

I really question the choice of self planetfalling WW artillery. You'd be better off taking Predators for their engagement ability. In addition that frees you up for a Chaplin for the +1 inspiring assault.

I should note that Hawk Wing support is likely going to go to +100 in future versions.

The lack of Fireraptor CAS may be a hinderance. They're fantastic formation eliminators after breaking. Looking at the theme you're wanting to play, I actually think the Salamanders may actually be a better fit. Lots of infantry and plenty of short range but devastating MW. Might be worth a trial?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:19 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

LC crit thread started...

I agree the Hawk Lords are an interesting list :) Shame they met Eldar Titans on first outing!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Aye, that's a particular nasty lineup for Marines.
Thanks for that thread. Be interesting to see what comes up. I suspect they're so little used relative to the Tbricks that any reasonable change probably doesn't change much other than taking them more often.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Markconz wrote:
I agree the Hawk Lords are an interesting list :) Shame they met Eldar Titans on first outing!

jimmyzimms wrote:
Aye, that's a particular nasty lineup for Marines.

They shall return once recruiting, re-training, and reorganising has occurred.
Yes, return in the typically unpredictable (blind) manner that precedes our games.

Doubtless I'll try and aim for an army list that maximises game potential and be more creative with the MI theme.
Think I can imagine the Predators as MI heavy weapons teams, as easily as the Whirlwinds.
They definitely have more utility, as you say. Also think some scouts could be "Engineers" who have their own
suits and probably transport, . . . in Heinlein's book.

Salamanders look cool. But they miss the "Mobile" suit based part of Mobile Infantry.
No APCs/Rhinos/Tanks/... in that universe/book.

Become a Citizen. Sign up today - "Want to Know More?"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What mini line(s) is the marine army from?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:36 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I think they might be Brigade, Andrew can confirm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

sorrow and extinction wrote:
What mini line(s) is the marine army from?

Yes, the infantry are Brigade Miniatures Powered Armour

The rest are all home made. All laser cut from mdf with a modest modelling effort to glue them together.
I quite like the fact that the Dropships have experienced the fire of a (60 watt) laser and the winds as the
vapours (ablation products) are pumped away (fire and flames on re-entry).