Login |  Register |  FAQ

Need primer help/advice

Post subject: Need primer help/advice
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I keep having trouble with chipping paint on metal models. I've started changing how I paint stuff (minimize touching it), but there's no way I can always avoid picking up a mini to reach certain parts of it. So I need help.

My usual procedure is to soak in soap water, lightly brush, rinse, dry, then spray with Tamiya light gray primer or an Army Painter colored primer. Halfway through painting, I've got shiny white metal showing at corners and points. Eventually I finish and then I can glosscoat then dullcoat, but I end up doing a lot of touchup in between.

And what about second-hand models? If I get metal minis that were primed black but the corners and points and all worn, should I strip and redo, just respray, or touch up with a brush-on primer? What brush-on options are there? It's hard to imagine they'd be any weaker.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Need primer help/advice
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I actually hit my models with some dullcoat along the way. Seems to solve it for me. Also you could just change your color scheme to metal ;)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:13 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Paint rubbing off happens all the time when I'm painting. Just touch up the edges at the end and make sure the paint has cured completely before handling it.

If it's for display, you should be good. If it's for game use hit it with varnish to give the model a harder more durable coat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:17 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Are you basing the models? That helps, or failing that temporarily mount them on a nail or something.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:22 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yeah I tend to blutac my stuff to the top of an old paint pot to avoid touching it

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Always have used lollipop sticks, and if its the wrong time of year for ice lols i use thin strips of wood with blue tac ;)

That way you can move the models around as you primer spray then and also when you hand paint the top coats.

Fully base colour coating a 6mm minature should be no problems if you use a decent fairly stiff brush, All excess paint will be removed anyway at the same time. Then do your detail colours such as weapons, armour etc and then i always use black in wash ;)

The only thing i never paint in 6mm is flesh faces, I leave that area as the white primer then use a skin ink wash colour and maybe black wash watered down depending on facial details of the minature ;)

Also if putting on lolly pop sticks with blue tac ensure you leave about 10mm between each minature on the stick so you have room to get your brush in.

To be honest though i always miss bits when painting, I do it like a production run, once primed and all on sticks, i base coat each stick with the minatures on and place it to the other side of my work area. Then before moving on to another colour i will re inspect all the ones i have just painted and move them back across.

Once all are checked and are ok, then i will move onto weapons colour etc and repeat the above process,

As sometimes you just miss stuff and its a pain in the arse to get different coloured paints back out etc.

Production line painting is the way ahead especially with quality control involved or that may just be me having a bit of ocd lol ;D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I use Poster Tac on top of old paint bottles ...

I always base coat metal with Enamel

To remove old paint from metal models I use nail polish remover. Soak the piece over night. Then use an old toothbrush. To scrub of the paint. Then of course clean off the polish remover with soap & water. Then dry.

I Always use Testor's Dullcote once the model is completed ... that is my last step ...

Attachments:
DSCF2894.JPG
DSCF2894.JPG [ 127.38 KiB | Viewed 2697 times ]
DSCF2893.JPG
DSCF2893.JPG [ 114.49 KiB | Viewed 2697 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Speaking for myself, I definitely had this problem with Warmaster models to begin with.

I would attempt a Chaos Black spray with the old GW cans which wasn't that great - then use Chaos Black put on by hand to try and fill the gaps. Ended up seeming to flake even if I wasn't touching them, and to flake through even careful handling even after painting the first base / layer coat.

Then I switched over to using Vallejo Black Surface Primer:

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/s ... /family/22

I also have some of their grey and white but haven't tried them yet. They have a variety of colours. I put it on by brush, it's a bit messy and time consuming. You do it neat without any water as it's like a liquid rubber/plastic. It's wonderful, self levels and goes in all the gaps. I don't have the space or environment to do airbrushing so this is the best I can do at the minute. I have found it to be much more resilient to handling than the old GW spray.

It might not be right for you but that is my personal experience!

---

Viz. stripping models - I personally only use acetone to strip out superglue from carelessly or poorly glued modelsor where the superglue has mixed with paint. I use Fairy Power Spray poured out into a small glass or plastic tub with a lid then put the models in and leave for 24 hours or more. I then scrub them with a nail brush or toothbrush in a tub of warm water. Depending on the thickness of the original paint job it can take a couple of sessions but the results are normally pretty great. Got some Ork Buggies in there now... fermenting. =P

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you need extra chip proofing try painting a thin coat of metallic paint, boltgun metal quality or better, over likely chip points then repainting the model in your basecoat colour. The added mica in metallics gives added stability to the paint layers on top.

It works brilliantly at protecting from chipping but I rarely do this since it adds too many steps to my already glacial painting process.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:39 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

i find i do the damage not with my finger, but when i pick the mini up/put it down on a hard surface while painting. I now try to place thing i paint on a folded tissue/kitchen towel when im not holding it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Someone mentioned to me once they paint with a glove on the hand that holds the model. They claimed that they rubbed less paint off the edges before they got around to the final sealing of the model. I've never tested this but might be worth a trial.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!