Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

GW NEARLY DEAD ?

Post subject: Re: GW NEARLY DEAD ?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes the licensing income from video games must be pretty substantial. For example Freeblade was used in Apple's marketing about the iPhone 6S, it was featured in the App Store, won a Best of 2015 award etc and I myself actually discovered it when playing with iDevices in the local electronics store (it was installed in the demo units). I gather interest in Battlefleet Gothic has also been high.

It would be interesting to see some marketing analysis for these games: especially for Battlefleet Gothic I imagine much of that IP value is the nostalgia element, which means older gamers who don't actually play the games anymore. That probably has a lot of mileage left in it, but in the distant future those "warhammer players grown up" will be taken from the crop of current players - so it's important they retain fond memories of playing games with their mates. What would be interesting is if GW could evolve into more of a mixed media IP group. Kind of the opposite direction to Alien/Predator, which started with movies and now also does tabletop games :) Who knows, maybe GW's core product could even switch, from wargames to video games...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Fantasy Flight board games and RPGs must be a fairly significant income too.

And being FF are actually well written, good games - if only they trusted the internal designers to have as much freedom as the FF ones (thought this does seem to be changing.)

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well they did not fold this year for good ;D :gah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They wont for many year to come!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They actually seem to be turning around, and fast.

Who, a year ago, would have thought that GW employees would be replying to customer enquiry? Have a set of apparently staffed and working facebook pages? Do things, apparently to please their veteran customers? Even release kits that seem high quality and intriguing?

I don't quite want to jump on board the high hopes wagon, but I do see a path to a bright future for them ..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's fairly obvious that some entrenched senior management that have been (not-so) politely shown the door and from business scuttlebutt, not rumors from the hobby world mind you, that Kirby is strategically being edged out by Rountree gives unsubstantiated but reasonable possibility that much of the crap we've seen has been from intractable and heads-up-the-arse egos of said management. I should point out that Rountree also came up via the FW subsidiary which has been responsible for "proving" the customer base was looking for something different and largely responsible for the new specialty group being formed. Interesting to watch no doubt.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apparently the financials have been pretty good this year: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... slump-quot

I wish them luck. They have much potential and so much has been wasted over the years. Now they finally seem to have got things on the right track. I have been tempted by bloodbowl but beyond that I can't see myself ever buying anything again (okay, the new Lord of Change is also really nice, and I can't rule them out releasing other good stuff). However, whereas in the past the lack of buying was because I felt they were releasing overpriced nonsense, now it is because I don't have much interest in 28mm anymore, which is hardly the fault of GW.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Same here, will not be buying into any core systems as well converted to 6mm long ago, 6mm and smaller is the way ahead, may pick up the new game dependant on contents, Have to say the cutters although expensive are the best i have used for cutting minis ;D

Paint wise still not fully converted over to other paint systems but nearly there ! running extra low on scorpian green for my salamanders so not sure what i will do, hopefully finished the force by the time i run out !

but the paint changes do worry me as i build large armies and even suttle colour changes stand out like a sore thumb, wish they would bring back the washes as sick of watering down other companies washes for use on 6mm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If your still using the original paint, I.e. Pre hex pot then cotes d'arms will have a match for scorpion green ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:48 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

It's even called Scorpion green..... Can't say fairer than that!

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Awesome news , never tried coat de arms , will get some and try it, much appreciated guys ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

epic wrote:
[...]wish they would bring back the washes as sick of watering down other companies washes for use on 6mm

If you're looking for the line that had Devlan Mud in it, Army painter washes in dropper bottles is the exact same stuff (o:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Parintachin wrote:
epic wrote:
[...]wish they would bring back the washes as sick of watering down other companies washes for use on 6mm

If you're looking for the line that had Devlan Mud in it, Army painter washes in dropper bottles is the exact same stuff (o:

No the black wash, Had a look at the coat da arms stuff on the inter webs, After looking on the reference charts though something is confusing me ?

On the conversion chart is list coat da arms Scorpion Green, Then lists GW old name also scorpion green, but then new gw colour for scorpion green listed as MOOT GREEN.

i will keep my fingers and toes crossed that coat da arms green is like the old gw stuff and not anywhere near moot green as i have that paint and its a million miles of scorpion green in colour. Half a pot left and two large flyers, a tactical company and plenty of dreadnaughts to do, Think im going to be scraping the barrel :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

epic wrote:
Parintachin wrote:
epic wrote:
No the black wash

That's the one called dark tone. This one (not my pic):

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Samsonov wrote:
Apparently the financials have been pretty good this year: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... slump-quot

Good. GW's quickly becoming the old great gaming company I got into originally. I'm becoming a huge fan of theirs again (especially with Bloodbowl and the upcoming Adeptus Titanicus), and if they decide to give 40K the AoS treatment....that will be the last straw and I'll be back in their bosoms fully.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next