Login |  Register |  FAQ

Barrages and War Engines?

Post subject: Barrages and War Engines?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know that it is played that if you place a barrage directly on top of a war Engine, you can roll all the dice for that barrage template against the War Engine. Well that is how they play it a Castle Assault, and Heavy Bolter, especially against my war engines.

However I can not find the particular rule which covers this. Generally each unit under the template receives one hit for being covered by the template. If a unit infantry of vehicle is covered my multiple templates, the FAQ states that it still only gets hit once (unless the weapon has an unusual rule like D3 hits or something, however I can not think of any weapons like that from memory).

As to warmachines, The guys generally allocate the amount of hits to the war machine to equal the amount of blast points the artillery does for one template. Say a formation firing with 6BP would use 2 templates and thus hit a WE with 3 of those BP or 3 dice worth of damage. Is this right? Does the War Engine get a single hit, or hit by 3 attacks? I would like to know if they are doing this correctly, and if so where are the rules on exactly how it is worked out. For some strange reason, I tend to face off against a lot of Titan legions or Imperial Guard with massed artillery a lot.

OK I checked out the NET ERA tournament pack (as I usually read the Epic Armageddon soft cover book I purchased from the UK. It does seem to have the section regarding barrage weapons and war machines missing or I missed that when I read it. Either way, I found out the relevant section for the rules, and if the war engine is hit directly (fully covered by the center hole), then it get 1/2 its DC rounded up as hits. 3.2.1 third paragraph.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Barrages and War Engines?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I cannot speak for local rules, but in the E:A rules the key parts are 1.9.8 barrages and the WE section you quoted.

ALL units under the template are diced for (not just the WE). You only use multiple dice when the template hole covers some part of the model, as you have noted.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep, either your opponents are mistaken, you misinterpreted their reasons for rolling multiple dice, or they're having you on ;)

I really hope it isn't consistently played the way you describe in the local scene, that would make a big difference IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:53 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ya, that's not even close to correct if that's what's actually happening. As you said and Ginger confirmed, 3.2.1 third paragraph is all you need for WEs under templates:
http://www.tp.net-armageddon.org/tourna ... ar-engines

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Deb

I'm sure that's a misunderstanding on your behalf. You and myself played at Heavy Bolter and that was NOT how it panned out. I can't speak for Castle Assault, but that is certainly not a local 'oz' rule.

3.2.1 Allocating Hits To War Engines -

Quote:
Special rules apply to war engines that are attacked by weapons that use templates (see 1.9.8). Normally these weapons attack each unit that falls under the template once each. However, due to its huge size if a war engine lies directly under the centre of a template, then it is subjected to a number of attacks equal to half its starting damage capacity, rounding fractions up. For example, a Baneblade (DC3) caught under the centre of a template would be attacked twice. You may wish to make sure that your barrage templates have a small hole in the centre so that you can see if a war engine suffers the full effect of the bombardment or is only attacked once.

Maybe your peeps play it differently, but the above is pretty clear. If people are suggesting what you've alluded to above pull then up! Not very cool if that's what you've been dealing with!

PS - War Engines rock!

Regards

Harry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It must have just been your opponents Deb. At Castle Assault we were playing by the ruling of 3.2.1 Allocating Hits To War Engines

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I can vouch for Castle Assault - we play the rules as per 3.2.1 for allocating hits to Warmachines.

Let me know who played it different and we'll lynch them!

- Kendall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

O.K. I must of either misunderstood him, or he did not know the rules, like myself not being the best on all the rules.

It does make a barrage against a Reaver titan a deadly thing. Hit it and possibly take down all its void shields, so you can hit it with your own war engines TK weapons.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Err probably not as deadly as all that. A Reaver is 6 DC, so a sustained barrage centred on the unit only gets 3 dice at 4+ to hit, an average of 1-2 hits (fewer with my dice ;) ).

That will only remove 1-2 of the 4 void shields. Two barrages might strip the shields ready for TK shooting from a third and possibly fourth formation, by which time you have dedicated at least 600-800 points worth of formations to the destruction of the Reaver, and usually more.