Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 80  Next

The Return of Adeptus Titanicus

Post subject: Re: The Return of Adeptus Titanicus
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GW/FW putting out a line of 8mm 40k minis is basically the only way we're ever going to get tanks that are the right size for 6mm scale space marines, so I'm excited.

Finally a source of Rhinos and Landraiders that might actually look like they can fit 10 Space Marines without having to chop their arms and legs off and stack them like firewood.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wait, that's not how they do that?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Now that I'm actually looking at the scaling math, I wonder what size ratio they will choose. Previously, FW epic models were 1:5 (20%) compared to their 40k equivalents (at least according to the intarweb, I never actually confirmed that for myself).

So, if they consider 40k to be 28mm scale, then their previous epic tanks were made at 5.6mm scale. If they consider 40k to be 30mm scale, their previous epic tanks were 6mm scale.

Based on the very limited and low fidelity info that is available, I believe that FW treats 40k as being 30mm scale, and that the new AT models will be at a 1:3.75 scale ratio to their 40k counterparts. That makes a 22.5" tall warlord in 40k into a 6" tall model in AT, matching what they stated.

As an aside, does anyone remember the mech warrior clicky-base game from 10+ years ago? Wasn't that close to 8mm scale?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GameBork wrote:
GW/FW putting out a line of 8mm 40k minis is basically the only way we're ever going to get tanks that are the right size for 6mm scale space marines, so I'm excited.

Finally a source of Rhinos and Landraiders that might actually look like they can fit 10 Space Marines without having to chop their arms and legs off and stack them like firewood.

Well that may be true ... as I always thought some of the Epic Vehicles were a bit small ... However, I've got so many of the original 6mm. Of everything ... I can't see me buying anything from 8mm Epic ... ^-^

Last edited by Legion 4 on Tue May 17, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Wait, that's not how they do that?

You've been in an M113 ... but we don't chop any limbs off ! ;D

Attachments:
DSCF6731.JPG
DSCF6731.JPG [ 145.28 KiB | Viewed 3542 times ]
DSCF6728.JPG
DSCF6728.JPG [ 730.96 KiB | Viewed 3542 times ]
M113.jpg
M113.jpg [ 8.95 KiB | Viewed 3543 times ]
M113 ACAV .jpg
M113 ACAV .jpg [ 125.1 KiB | Viewed 3543 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ha! well at least on a good day ;)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The thing is that the 40k models are too small for the infantry too, as anyone who's ever built a rhino kit can attest.

So even if you translate the size relation between 40k dudes and 40k vehicles perfectly to 6mm, the tanks are still too small.

Don't get me wrong, the Rhinos are not impossibly tiny for tanks of that scale or anything, it's just that there's no way they can actually fit the amount of guys they're supposed to without being larger. And this is why I'm psyched for some 8mm/ 1:200 rhinos and landraiders to match my 6mm/1:285 epic marines.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice example. I'd think a 10mm M113 would be the correct size ... So across the range to GW size Does Not matter ...

Here's pic of a plastic Rhino next to some 10mm WWI and WWII vehicles ... That A7V may be the right size for a Land Raider ?

Attachments:
2009_0417X10001.JPG
2009_0417X10001.JPG [ 662.71 KiB | Viewed 3507 times ]
2009_0417X10003.JPG
2009_0417X10003.JPG [ 133.29 KiB | Viewed 3509 times ]

Last edited by Legion 4 on Tue May 17, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They're obviously employing TARDIS technology from the Dark Age. Duh :P

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All that 10mm stuff are going to be Ork Battlewagons, Buggies, etc. in one of my Warbands ... 8)

Attachments:
2009_0417X10002.JPG
2009_0417X10002.JPG [ 604.99 KiB | Viewed 3507 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

carlisimo109 wrote:
I can't ever paint a metal model without paint rubbing off the corners or tips.

Wow, the problem lies with either your primer, your paint or your model preperation process (or possibly all of them). I regularly tumble my models from the table onto a hard wood floor and they haven't chipped yet (the metal parts bend, but the paint bends around them without cracking!). I use CDA primer and paint (copies of old Citadel) and I wash my models in warm, soapy water before painting them and coat them in Army Painter Quickshade after painting them. They are indestructible—my car door chips more easily than my models! For a long time I stored my 40k stuff in a cardboard box in a mini-mosh pit and never had a problem.

DaCone2 wrote:
GW has done a cease and desist for the Blood Bowl liiving rulebook:
http://www.thenaf.net/blood-bowl/rules/

A little worrying with adeptus titanicus on the way... :(

That sucks for LRB players. I myself play pure 3rd Edition (I'm a 90's purist!) but everyone should download the LRB quickly now as it is a great resource for any edition.

The same must be said for NetEA and NetEpic! Get it now while you can!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think sometimes people also forget that, at least initially, the models were meant to serve as game pieces more than as scale models. Accurate relative scaling was less important than ease of production or ease of use during play.

Of course, GW has long ago abbandoned those more practical concerns (even more so with FW), so I fully expect to see impractically large AT vehicles with as many parts as the same kits have in 40k.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That is very true. As I have said, the Titans are 1/500 scale for a game in 1/300. I guess, many may believe that in a miniature game, every piece should in scale. Which is true in most miniature games ... But in reality, the pieces really don't need to be exactly "in scale." ... Also some like the "ascetics", the visual appeal of mini gaming. Otherwise like in most board games we played in distant past, everything was a 2 dimensional cardboard counters ... So we may have "in a perfect world" paradigm in effect ? 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

True historically various things are proprtionally and scale wise all over the place. I'd even go 1 step further and those are not literal representations of the size of things and view them more in the manner that the game BFG does. It's a pretty token for an abstract "thing" somewhere abouts where you've physically placed the model which is likely far smaller than view of the player implied (objects may be farther away than appear ;D ). For instance, as I've said here before, the Battle Titan Quake cannon is basically the 18 inch type 94 cannon off the Yamato class battleships where they've got a range of like 25km or something silly like that. In no way is anything to literal scale in AT/Epic otherwise you'd need entire garages to play.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GameBork wrote:
The thing is that the 40k models are too small for the infantry too, as anyone who's ever built a rhino kit can attest.

So even if you translate the size relation between 40k dudes and 40k vehicles perfectly to 6mm, the tanks are still too small.

Don't get me wrong, the Rhinos are not impossibly tiny for tanks of that scale or anything, it's just that there's no way they can actually fit the amount of guys they're supposed to without being larger. And this is why I'm psyched for some 8mm/ 1:200 rhinos and landraiders to match my 6mm/1:285 epic marines.

Well then looking at this example maybe it's time we changed the fluff and have rhinos as 5 man squad carriers instead. Then we just need an all new full 10 man squad carrier model.

The Defeat in Detail trojan APC models for example were upscaled to make them look more viable as full squad carriers when placed next to the elites infantry figures. :)

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 80  Next