Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 80  Next

The Return of Adeptus Titanicus

Post subject: Re: The Return of Adeptus Titanicus
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
Blip wrote:
Can only be a good thing.

generally yes, but not good news for fan made sculpts etc

I understand the concern. I don't want to see years of fan development wiped out anymore than anyone. i suspect fan made sculpts will say much as they have been - the preserve of a few with personal connections. Frankly the whole game is exactly that at the moment - aka a cult. The problem is year on year the Epic community dwindles. Without official support there is little chance the game will grow faster than the rate of attrition.

I suspect the new AT game will be fairly limited in scope - i see it as the perfect way for FW to capitalise on the titan designs because the 28mm versions are outside of most peoples wallet envelope. But a full range of small-scale versions of their mainstream models wont happen - it stops people buying the bigger, more expensive versions. I cant see them doing it again.

Personally i look forward to to having stunning 8mm titans for painting. A good game which i can play with my 1990s scale titans (one of the biggest issues my old school mates have with EA is the disappointing titan rules) and a gateway into attracting new players to small scale.

And hopefully, if they have changed the scale and era it should make it difficult for Wendy to argue the "legit" alternatives are infringing.

Here's to keeping the cup half full anyway... :-)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GW has done a cease and desist for the Blood Bowl liiving rulebook:
http://www.thenaf.net/blood-bowl/rules/

A little worrying with adeptus titanicus on the way... :(

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Let's wait and see before we start to worry about many concerns voiced here ... ^-^ :whistle

IMO we'll probably see the Titan game ... if it sells well they may do more. If not it won't be the first time GW has put Epic to rest. And I got my first SM1 game in '90 ... and from what I see. Our little Epic 6mm sci-fi "cult" >:D continues to grow. There are many other 6mm sci-fi figures and rules available now than ever before.

And nobody from GW or pretty much anyone else, will be sending Commissars to see what games, rules and figures you are using. I always say do what works for you ... I'm sure there are guys out there playing SM2/TL and E40K. As well as E:A ... And I've see other game systems use Epic models. And vis versa ...

So stay frosty ... and stand-by ... and don't be Fester Addam's wife Debbie ...

Last edited by Legion 4 on Mon May 16, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

carlisimo109 wrote:
Stormwind wrote:
Forum ware Titans / proxies are more "true scale" and towards that size, anyway, aren't they? =-P

Still only 75% of the new size, assuming true-scale 8mm

If they are even bigger than the truescale ones out there, I would be even less interested in them. Far too big.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Commander Karth wrote:
Nitpick wrote:
Appreciation of metal has struck me as becoming increasingly dated. Plastics has got to be the most common and appreciated material for serious hobby work ever? (Oh, and by hobby, I mean the actual nerdy modeling hobby scene. Not "the hobby" in GW-speak )

And about the scale bump, it seems that some of our proxy suppliers have been more forward thinking than others :)

I've actually never understood how people could ever prefer plastic (or even worse, resin) over metal, unless of course you are indeed doing custom mods on your model and need a material that can be easily cut and drilled. In that one case, I get it, but in every other case, metal models beat the tar out of plastic or resin for me. It's not just that metal is much more durable, can be paint-stripped over and over again with no problem and is ultimately a much more valuable material... Metal models just have such a cool heft to them that makes them feel so much more substantial. After all, the White Dwarf sections were called 'Eavy Metal, not Flaky Resin!

Of course, I am as much a collector as a gamer... I want all the original 1990’s models that I stared at as a youth, not the newer plastic and resin stuff. If it was designed after 1997 or earlier than 1992 or 1991, it has no place on my shelf, personally speaking.

Hi!

This is my take as well. I leave resin/plastics for things where I cannot get them in metal, or fodder for conversions.

I've dropped one too many resin/plastic pieces to be happy with their durability. The shift to these materials was done out of convenience to the manufacturers, less so for the consumer.

I have a hard enough time explaining why metal miniatures cost what they do. To justify what some resin/plastics cost is beyond my ability. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

DaCone2 wrote:
GW has done a cease and desist for the Blood Bowl liiving rulebook:
http://www.thenaf.net/blood-bowl/rules/

A little worrying with adeptus titanicus on the way... :(

Hi!

How so?

Net Epic for example has been reviewed by GW many times and it is nearly 20 years old.

I've always followed their guidelines and never use their imagery (out illustrations are made by fans), same with the photos of miniatures.

Also, the rules were done in our own words (no copy/paste) and you can copyright mechanics (which in out case doesn't matter much either given how much we've modified the original set).

So you can offer stuff as long as you follow their rules. The BB living rulebook apparently did not.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:02 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

im on the fence about this.

Generally i prefer metal. However, I do a *lot* of converting and customising, so plastic is helpful – but really only a big difference at infantry scale.

Durability wise i'm surprised by the above comments though – my metal minis fare far, far, worse when dropped. If forced to drop a painted mini id far sooner drop a plastic over its metal counterpart. Metal chips paint, dents permanently, and is far harder to glue – at least with plastic if a fine detail snap polycement will melt it back on.

For 6" titans though, metal would be inconceivable from GW at this point and lighter materials seem sensible at this size, still gonna have heft to it!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

actually digging around all i can find now is the C&D on Fumbol from back in 09.

Also as P states, you can't copyright mechanics (see EW Rulebook or NetEpic for instance)

Apoc is correct. metal transmits shocks to a scary degree. This situation proprtionally increases as the size of the model increases as well. That's why big stuff isn't as durable in metal (see teh abortion of the GW metal 40k thunderhawk).

Also resin is NOT done to make things easier for a company, P. GW tried to re-use metal moulds with forcing a resin plastic mixture (failcast) by replacing metal, which as no surprise, didn't work and cost them a bundle. You can't do that and not get crap (skuttlebutt from reliable sources have noted that the QC process douched about 30% of the runs due to bubbles and other miscasts). Everyone else in the market, including FW, use resin for higher details unattanable by either metal or plastic, produce designs that you can't do without parts explosions (plastic) due to avoiding undercuts, and to make small runs of items. It's EXCEPTIONALLY labor intensive but the material is low cost. The SG group is spun out of FW, not GW ltd, which is why we're likely going to see things in resin. Huge hits will see them realized in plastics produced by the GW materials group (see BaC).

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Mon May 16, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
im on the fence about this.

Generally i prefer metal. However, I do a *lot* of converting and customising, so plastic is helpful – but really only a big difference at infantry scale.

Durability wise i'm surprised by the above comments though – my metal minis fare far, far, worse when dropped. If forced to drop a painted mini id far sooner drop a plastic over its metal counterpart. Metal chips paint, dents permanently, and is far harder to glue – at least with plastic if a fine detail snap polycement will melt it back on.

For 6" titans though, metal would be inconceivable from GW at this point and lighter materials seem sensible at this size, still gonna have heft to it!

Hi!

I guess it depends how "carpeted" the areas you've normally been in are. When they are there is little damage for either material. When absent though, I've had metal figures burst into their component parts, but with little damage of the said parts.

However I had resin/plastic shatter when hitting such surfaces and being near total losses.

Personally, given how much I have moved over the years, resin/plastic has been very problematic for me.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I guess 8 mm scale is better than 10mm. I doubt the difference in the size of the infantry will be that noticeable considering that some infantry (i.e. the E:40k era chaos marines) are basically 8mm already.

None of the current 6mm vehicles and Titans will look right if played on the same table, but we should be used to that. That's really just a continuation of an existing trend: refer to SM1 land raiders vs E:A land raiders and original warhound titans vs FW resin Warhounds. This is the same scale creep that happens in 40k, but just more noticeable because of the 10 year gaps between model released.

8mm scale means that Titans will be the roughly the same size as 40k tank and vehicle kits, which makes 'sense' for GW. It means that emperor class Titans will be the equivalent of 40k superheavies and AV class vehicles will be the size equivalent of heavy infantry (stuff on 40-60 mm bases).

Does that all sound right?

I suspect that the biggest winners will be chaos players, as corrupted imperial Titans will be the easiest kits to create once the 'standard' versions are done. I'd also bet money that ork gargants/stompas/etc will get models, as will the latest 40k knights.

I'm doubtful that models for eldar or anyone else will see the light of day, given the mostly xenos-free setting, despite what was said about having expansions set in different times/places. I take such vague, non-committal comments with large doses of salt.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
Please no, Gw can't be trusted with that ! that app would have in-app purchases to get better damage control etc :sos

( i mean, i like the app idea in general, just not from GW :D )

At the risk of giving them ideas, how's about this for a doomsday prediction: not just in-app purchases but.... drum roll... subsrcibe-to-play. The tabletop gaming world's World of Warcraft moment. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kyrt wrote:
At the risk of giving them ideas, how's about this for a doomsday prediction: not just in-app purchases but.... drum roll... subsrcibe-to-play. The tabletop gaming world's World of Warcraft moment. ;)

Just when you thought that playing GW games couldn't get any more expensive... :o

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I could definitely see some "mega weapons" behind a pay wall

Sent from my 4027X using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They're basically pay-to-win already so ;)

/Mlkr

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kyrt wrote:
Apocolocyntosis wrote:
Please no, Gw can't be trusted with that ! that app would have in-app purchases to get better damage control etc :sos

( i mean, i like the app idea in general, just not from GW :D )

Actually you can play Warcraft for free now, you only need to pay to play if you want too. :D

SO if GW follow this route, then we know its pay to play but only for the next 5 years or so, where then on it will become free to play, but pay if you want. ;)

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 80  Next