Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

GW NEARLY DEAD ?

Post subject: Re: GW NEARLY DEAD ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have no sympathy for them, they have brought this on themselves, running a company to make profit is understandable, but when you do not provide what people want and they have always known what people have wanted but refused to come up with the goods, look at primeachs all those other companys making replica goods and what did GW do, come along about four years later and add them. The list goes on. Just poor management and greed. Regarding the case with court about the IP GW should of just looked at this as what people want and made those items.

It all comes down to sheer greed and poor product selection in the fact that GW has cut its own throat and nothing will stop the bleeding now. They will simply curl up and fold into the distant past. :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The company is making a million pounds per month in pre-tax profit. Sorry but they will be around for a while. Let's re-start the thread in a few years when they start making losses. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:25 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'm not sure you fully understand the thread Kyrt. We don't like them. So, they have to fail. That's how the internet works isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, this thread is not about facts! It's about ranting about something we hate just because we can! We hate the heretic GW that has never given us anything good and is just ripping us off. We do this every year and then withdraw back into our caves to wait some Inquisitor to slay the GW demon. But..every year the beast survives no matter what. GW has so powerful psykers that they force people to throw money at them buying poor quality minis, bad games, chinese made fan products. No one with any sense or willpower would do that unless forced? GW sucks!! ( off to get the new mini and apocrypha book).

Blogging about 6-15mm wargaming: http://www.lead-space.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

There is a fellow on Warseer whom knows about finance that gives pretty good rundowns on what is going on with GW after they release their financial statements (Reinholt).

They are in decline. But such things are slow and over many years. They maintain a profit due to cutting costs and their sales volume is declining. At some point there is nothing more to cut, nothing "big" to release and pad the numbers.

Their last statement showed a pretty steep decline in sales volume. Profit on its own does not tell the tale (and even that has been going down across the last several years).

Its more of a question if GW can reverse this trend or not.

In my view they look like a company readying itself to be "bought out" by another bigger fish.

Time will tell.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah the hip cat in orange is always a great read on warseer. If I may quote Eddie Izzard, "and they slowly collapsed like a flan left in a cupboard" :) we've got a few more reports to figure out the AoS effect and what any of these nostalgia buys are having. (plenty of panic buying clear-out purchases in fantasy recently). In all likelihood, further slow contractions in share and volume until a sudden fall which will catch us off guard ("Gradually and then suddenly.”-Hemmingway)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Yup, the next financial will not be able to hide if AoS did not do well. GW has been very adept in burying bad news in its financials of late.

However methinks they have run out of wiggle room. If AoS is truly a bust it will be obvious on analysis of the statement.

I wonder when it is due, June?

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the trend of fewer sales made for higher prices will only see GW so far before a tipping point.

Of course everyone has different price points but they don't have to price everyone out, just a majority. Personally I can't see that being too far off. For me they crossed that line when 10 tactical Marines went past £20. Recently my 9 year old daughter wanted some of her own figures to paint and I found (to my horror) that those same Marines are now £27 for 10. That's a basic troops choice (if that concept still exists in 40k nowadays).

I got more than half my 3000pt epic guard army for that from other sources!

Sent from my 4027X using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GW gave me Epic, Blood Bowl, 40K, Fantasy, Talisman. I had a great time playing those--heck even AoS is a good game and I had fun playing before I turned to KoW. I am grateful that GW was and is here. I used to hate them...hate them for their price increases, hate them for their alleged draconian attitude towards fans, hate them for dumping fun games and making good ones into terrible products. However, I've mellowed out and now while I'm not a fan of this GW now, I don't want them to disappear. They are a gateway to the hobby, and the 800 lbs gorilla in the room among 90 lbs weakling pretenders to their throne Without them many gamers will probably disappear from sight again; others might gravitate toward different companies, which is a good thing, but there aren't many others that offer what GW has for decades. Other companies may think that they can step up and fill the gap of a dead GW, but no one has the power or popularity to do so at the moment--it will take time for a new king to arise, if one does arise anew. If GW adapts and gets better, that would be terrific! I'd love for them to change and become a good company once again. That is far preferable to the alternative of dying.

We here are angry for what GW allegedly did to us. They killed off Epic. However...on this site Epic seems to be going really strong. It seems that GW hasn't killed off Epic at all. So, then I ask, why does it matter what GW does at the moment? Why is it important that some of us get "revenge" against a company that's done so much for us in the past, regardless of how things turned out--even though those things turned out really well (just look around this site). We all made our choices, and we could have just as easily not become involved with GW....every single person knew the risks, whatever those be, and every single of one us must share the blame for getting burned.

I know, I know, it's cool and hip to hate on GW, and I'll get some pretty intense frowns and cursing thrown toward my way (either actually typed out, or safely hiding behind the hater's keyboard). Others may try to dissect my post and point out how wrong I am, to confront and contend every point I made. They will fail, of course, but I won't mind the attempts. Meh, whatever. I just had to inject a bit of balance into this entire anti-GW thing. Like it or not, it is what it is.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not at all Splash you will get no come back from you say at all :) You are quite right about GW, This thread was started by me, it is not hateing on GW it is me merely predicting that GW will end by the end of the year.
The GW universe from fantasy to 40k is fantastic, i love it, we all love it, what we are on about is the way the company has been managed. They have made some great products but price increases and dropping lines etc has done them no favours. Regarding the end of epic as you say, it makes no difference to us on here as we have quite enough minature lines and fan made rules to keep the hobby more than alive :)

Just to be clear this is not a hate thread just a prediction on the Demise of GW due to market circumstances and lack of decent products been made by the company these days, I for one will be sad when it goes, not for the company but for the people who have made GW what it was over the years. All of that has gone.

It will be a shame to see it go from the high street but it has been a long time coming ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I hear you Splash. For many years my vitriol towards GW for killing of epic was quite simply bordering on obsession.

Then I realized that advancements in 3d printing, mold making and sculpting made them inconsequential to my particular brand of enjoyment.

I hope they can salvage themselves, or failing that the IP lives on in another more competently run company.

Players do deserve this IP being available for their enjoyment. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Haha, I seem to have the exact opposite opinion of most folks here. I gave up on both Warhammer and 40K almost 10 years ago because lets face it - the rules kind of suck. And AoS seems worse if anything. But I still love the setting and a lot of the models and occasionally buy them (often for other games or just to paint).

But right now GW seems to do most things right. Many of the new hobby products and paints are great as is the terrain. And they have released lots of nostalgic or just plain fun models lately - Adeptus Mechanicus, Harlequins and Genestealer Cult (!). Speaking of which, the board games are great deals for the miniatures alone and "Betrayal at Calth" is actually a pretty good board game/minature game hybrid. And now they are re-releasing Blood Bowl and Epic too?

And whats more the new boxes and boxed games is actually a quite radical price drop with prices often being 40% lower then buying stuff separate (Such as in the new knight vs. knight minigame). I actually never thought I would se the day when GW did something like that!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

At this point in time in my life, I am mostly neutral on GW. I am really impressed by the detail on their plastics and FW's Resin. I still like the fluff, although (at least in 40K it has become a bit overwhelming to keep up with [and the faction thing ins 7th is unimaginative at best].

My biggest issue has simply been price creep. It is not really a matter of affordability, With limited exceptions, I have had good paying jobs since my late teens. It is just the portion of my entertainment budget is too much to make regular purchases. those $.75 USD/each minis I remember when I started are over $5USD each (3.5x inflation) these days and that is just too much to make regular impulse purchases a reality. Same thing with the $30 ebook codexes and such. I will just dig around for clearance.

I also would love for them to back off a bit on enforcing IP against Fans. This has been an issue since the internet began (I had a Necromunda fan site on Tripod back in 94-95 mainframe that got canned because of art assets....). I am 100% pro protecting your stuff against mass reproduction by other companies, but ffs, back off your fans.

Anyhow, I would like to see them return to a smaller private company, more fan and less profit driven.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madmagician wrote:
At this point in time in my life, I am mostly neutral on GW. I am really impressed by the detail on their plastics and FW's Resin. I still like the fluff, although (at least in 40K it has become a bit overwhelming to keep up with [and the faction thing ins 7th is unimaginative at best].

My biggest issue has simply been price creep. It is not really a matter of affordability, With limited exceptions, I have had good paying jobs since my late teens. It is just the portion of my entertainment budget is too much to make regular purchases. those $.75 USD/each minis I remember when I started are over $5USD each (3.5x inflation) these days and that is just too much to make regular impulse purchases a reality. Same thing with the $30 ebook codexes and such. I will just dig around for clearance.

I also would love for them to back off a bit on enforcing IP against Fans. This has been an issue since the internet began (I had a Necromunda fan site on Tripod back in 94-95 mainframe that got canned because of art assets....). I am 100% pro protecting your stuff against mass reproduction by other companies, but ffs, back off your fans.

Anyhow, I would like to see them return to a smaller private company, more fan and less profit driven.

Hi!

Agreed. Their policies against fans has really hurt them and in my view incited the very same thing they di not want which is IP infringement on multiple levels.

Most companies have learned to channel the fans productive energies into something that benefits the company. GW has never been able to do that.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next