Login |  Register |  FAQ

Detail on epic 40k era predator

Post subject: Detail on epic 40k era predator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the process of painting up some predators, this time from the late 90-ies. I hope you know which version I mean - its the ones where there are many different variations in armament, extra armor plates, etc. Im having problems discerning what the details actually are - Im especially confused about something that looks like a sheep skin or wolf pelt (!) which is hanging on the side and top of the tank (what is this?) Anyone have any idea what I mean and how to paint it?

Thanks for any help as always,

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Detail on epic 40k era predator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You mean something like this ? Image That is a camo net on the right side sponson. A camo net is pulled or suspended over the vehicle when it stops to provide camo, cover, concealment ... Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

On my tanks, there are only things that I identified as camouflage nettings, "backpacks", and sand sacks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks guys, I was thinking of the camo nets. Never thought of it, and its does seem odd now, since I decided to paint them as Ultramarines. Having a camo net on a bright blue tank seems slightly strange doesnt it (why paint it blue in the first place if you were gonna try to camoflage it)? Well, so much for realism I guess...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Who says ultras don't use camo? :) What about Naval digital camo?
Drop ship Carl did some digital camo on his that was aceballs.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In theory no camo works in even todays warfare let alone the future, Even 3rd world armys use thermal imaging, we got rid of gilly suits for green blank anti TI suits, and had complete rolls the stuff full side of tracked vehicles to roll down when we stopped that covered the drivedrain heat and that only slighty reduced/ broke up the TI imagery slighty.

If its alive or gives off a heat pattern your pretty much fubarrd ;D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree with my honourable Brother-Captain Parzval. Ultramarines were their coolers proudly and would never, NEVER disguise, cloak, or hide their prouder coolers. The Codex Astartes clearly sais "Camo is for pussis. That's why Scouts have to were them from time to time ... until they have proved themselves as dignified enough to were a servo armour."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well ... being a former Air Assault and Mech Infantryman, Camo, cover and Concealment works ... I never paint any of my armies in anything but tactical/camo colors ... Regardless of what the "silly" GW fluff says. And camo cover and concealment works today and will work in the future. Not all will have thermas, and the simple fact you try to put something solid or at least something to conceal your presents in a good way to stay alive. Almost all standard armies today use some sort of camo ... It only makes sense to increase your survivability, etc. ... We had a similar discussion on TMP. http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=393111 Most agreed camo with work in the future. The GW fluff of painting their toy soldiers in circus colors was a marketing tool to attract the "kids" who like "pretty bright shiny things". Like red and orange, AFVs, etc. ... But all that being said ... paint you toy soldiers as you like. I always say ... Do What Works For You ... Not ME ... But be advised ... you show pics of fire engine red AFVs, SMs, etc . ... I may make fun of you ... :P ;D Some of my SMs ...

Attachments:
SALAMANDERS BN HQ.jpg
SALAMANDERS BN HQ.jpg [ 77.41 KiB | Viewed 3978 times ]
DSCF3413.JPG
DSCF3413.JPG [ 751.65 KiB | Viewed 3978 times ]
DSCF3435.JPG
DSCF3435.JPG [ 165.62 KiB | Viewed 3978 times ]
Blood Angels.jpg
Blood Angels.jpg [ 54.44 KiB | Viewed 3978 times ]
2009_0408eBayII0008.JPG
2009_0408eBayII0008.JPG [ 147.43 KiB | Viewed 3978 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Note the Traitor EC ... in IDF Desert Pink ... that works in the desert ... And UMs in a Panzer Gray or Luftwaffe Blue Grey ... Image

Attachments:
Traitor EC.jpg
Traitor EC.jpg [ 73.36 KiB | Viewed 3978 times ]

Last edited by Legion 4 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Real DARK ANGELS ... Image Image

Last edited by Legion 4 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:33 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

With nothing but their huge shiny bright coloured banners to give them away..... ;)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes ... thank U ... those banner's are for gaming purposes ... :P ;) Also ... Some IF in Panzer Yellow ... Image Also note ... all capes ... are camo ... Image ;D Like our ponchos/liners or WWII German shelter halves ... :whistle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

L4 nice minis, apart from painting the afv,s plain sand colour our nbc kit was green camo as we had no desert gear made, that was it for camo ! the only change was vehicle smoke grenades changed to phos smoke grenades so you got cover from smoke and burnt anti armour troops on the ground at the same time with the phos if you had to withdraw out of contact hastely.

Air defence is always taken out first, then the ground battery from heavy artillery, then one final bombardment just before H hour before the dogs of war are released. speed,aggresion and keep advancing are your camo! oh and allied cobra assault helicopters on call ;D

been a former Desert rat, armoured Infantry I still stick with camo is all hype ;D

regards Epic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good to hear from a former Desert Rat/ 7th AR Mech Grunt ! I'm an old 101, 2ID, 197 Mech/18th ABN Corps soldier, '79-'90. Was in Panama, Korea, Germany, and desert training in the Mojave Desert ... So I've operated in many environments ... But regardless, if you read the link I posted from TMP. You'll see some good discussion among Vets and gamers ... Of course as I have said ... Do What Works For You ... not me ... ^-^ And yes, bottom line, having air superiority is a priority. Taking out ADA is the first step. And ADA is a priority target. We, the US, UK, NATO have enjoyed air superiorty for decades in conflicts. I was always trained to "blend in" with the environment ... So I'm very wedded to the concept of camo, cover & concealment. Again, we talked about all that in the TMP link ... 8) And there was an old RANGER school saying, "Speed is Security " ... After being a Rifle PL in the 101, I was assigned as the Bn Air Ops Officer. So I worked with AH1 Cobras frequently as well as UH1s, CH47s, and OH58s. And I was there when we transitioned from UH1s to UH60 Blackhawks. Then served in 3 Mech Bns with M113s. So I know what you are saying about tactics and techniques ... Both being former NATO soldiers, we were generally trained with the same doctrine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To be fair L4, GW is more pulling a page from Herbert in envisioning a future wherein defense technology has so far outstripped offensive capabilities that hiding is less important. Granted Herbert's genius was in using that as a device to side step science fiction tropes to focus on the actual points of the novels (politics, ecology, and ubermench) while GW used it to harken back to Medieval heraldic devices and the like. Like you do say though, DWWFY.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!