Login |  Register |  FAQ

SteelCrownGames.com closing

Post subject: SteelCrownGames.com closing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Guys,

I wanted to write a personal post to you all at TacComms. Exodus Wars started here ten years ago and it seems fitting that Exodus Wars ends here.

Exodus Wars was created in 2005 as a by-product of myself lusting for an army of 6mm Space Dwarves and finding no other supplier. After some convincing I created the Guild as human counterparts, to help fund my love of Space Dwarves, and allowed a few of my buddies on TacComms to buy packs. It was a small range at the beginning sculpted by Bob Naismith, Todd Dillen (Otterman) and painted by Christian Salling (Warmaster Nice). Christian then went on to design many of our most popular designs. When Chris and Todd teamed up we always ended up with a top seller, they are what I still think of as the dynamic duo.

I opened up Exodus Wars miniatures to everyone with our first store (written in Magento). I took on Dominic Bellman (Zuluwarrior) as a full time member of staff who not only fielded calls and fulfilled orders but who alongside Randy Linbourn was one of the principle artists who defined the Exodus Wars universe. Dom was instrumental in our experiment with 28mm miniatures and also designed the Tarragin after I'd sent him a drunken text saying 'Imagine Killer Croc and a Sharks love child, but eight foot tall'. It was at this time that Martin Baker, Ben (Evil and Chaos) + Barny Skinner and Don Carr (Deacon) joined us as sculptors. I'd also like to give a massive shout out to our excellent casters the SGT's Mess and Griffin Moulds.

After Dom, Lisa took over and whilst she wasn't an artist she injected the company with her own logistical genius and was able to work miracles with our stock control systems. She is primarily responsible for enabling Steel Crown Productions to be the success that it became in the city as a consultancy company. By the time Lisa left we had stopped haemorrhaging money and were close to making a profit with the Exodus Wars budget in SCP.

Catalina joined us two years ago and has worked hard with us. At the same time I had a nervous breakdown from overwork and the onset of Ménière's Syndrome and for about six months was unable to supplement Exodus Wars with the additional revenue I was earning in the city.

Exodus Wars is making a profit, but it isn't enough for me to live on. I returned to work as the Face of TFL to raise funds but in doing so wasn't able to give Exodus Wars the support it deserved. New development stalled. Our sculptors continued to craft awesome designs from the Marcovian Command Squad, the Marcovian Squires to our Guild Light Tanks.

I've lost over six figures sterling investing in Exodus Wars over the last decade and whilst it has at times given great joy at other times it has also given great heartache. Sadly, the service I am delivering now is not the service we offered ten years ago and it definitely isn't the service you deserve. We went from being Christian and myself making awesome miniatures and sharing them with our friends to a corporation and it wasn't a transition that I handled very well, nor was it a transition that if I'm honest I was qualified for.

I wanted SteelCrownGames to be the home of 6mm. But I am worried that unless something changes it could be its tomb as due to myself and me only the company has suffered significant impact to its reputation.

I am really proud of what Exodus Wars has delivered over the years but am not willing to deliver a subpar service to my friends and customers nor can I afford to resurrect our golden years by bringing in permanent members of staff. As of today, I am officially serving notice that SteelCrownGames will be closing its doors. We will do absolutely everything within our power to fulfil any remaining orders, and will refund any orders that we cannot fulfil. We are not going bankrupt. I still generate a significant revenue for Steel Crown Productions and will have no problem refunding customers and paying debts.

I'm sorry that I've let you all down. The problems that Exodus Wars has suffered have been mine and mine alone. I'll be uploading all the CAD designs to Shapeways and making them public. Unless the IP gets bought by a third party which remains a possibility I'll be selling the CAD prints at cost.

It is my hope that someone else rises up and succeeds where I failed giving the world a 6mm SciFi one stop shop. I for one will continue to buy every release that Troublemaker Games and Onslaught Miniatures releases.

Thank you for all the adventures and fond memories that you guys have shared with me over the past decade.

Tom

PS: Please forgive me if I've missed anyone out or have made errors with the Exodus Wars timeline.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: SteelCrownGames.com closing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry to hear that, Tom. I really like your minis. I wish had had the spare cash to buy more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tom

Sad news but your frank and honest explanation is appreciated. SCP has been a great supplier and supporter for the 6mm community and she will be missed. I applaud your willingness for continued community support to offer those people that love and continue to love your creations as CAD print on demand. I know I have more than a few of those buggers running around. Painting and modeling them has been a delight over the years and I relish the opportunity to continue in the future.

I hope the best for your health and continued recovery, mate. I know what you're experiencing and it's not a fun one.

Not to sound crass and asking for more, but is there any possibility of say releasing the rule book under Creative Commons? I think that it was one of the best I've used in quite a long time and as you know, I've been a long time champion on it.

I know I'll be tipping a glass to SCP tonight.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ouch Tom,

This was sad news!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I must admit I feel a little self conscious here after my little moan earlier. Most unfortunate that you have had to make this decision Tom I feel really sorry for you. The exodus wars range and your plans to be THE 6mm sci-fi miniatures shop was grand in scope.

Who knows maybe another party or company could take on some of your unreleased models TMG or Onslaught comes to mind here which would at least reimburse you a little.

I wish you all the best for the future with whatever you decide to do, regards.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:16 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'm reminded of the phrase "Tis better to have loved and lost than never loved at all". Still sad to see it ending up this way but sounds like the best decision at the current time. Thanks for all your hard work with this venture and look after your health Tom.

I'm glad I got a bunch of your miniatures before you shut down too. Hopefully someone else might be able to take up the reigns as it would be a shame to loose many of the gorgeous miniatures.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank you for being frank and honest with the community, and I'm sorry that you have had to shut down.

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bad news. Having been there and bought a very similar t-shirt, I have a feel for how tough this must have been for you. I hope a deal can be made so your baby can continue to grow - it's still the best place for 6mm out there and somehow I suspect epic itself wouldn't be in the shape it is now with out SCP. Sometimes turning your hobby into your job sucks a lot of joy out of things. Return to having fun with your little men! Good luck for the future and good health in it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tom,

I completely understand your decision and thank you for carrying the torch for so long!

MM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Netepic,

Well buddy we've known each other for a very long time and I know how much you put into all this and how hard the decision was to let it come to a close.

Nothing persists forever, but the great memories of the journey will last a lifetime.

As always my deepest thanks and appreciation. :)

Peter (Primarch)

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:12 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Tom,

Thankyou for your passion and support over the last decade.
Good onya for taking a difficult and brave decision mate.
All the best with your health and future endeavours.

Steve.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:02 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

That is quite sad. You guys made great models and I'm happy to have them in my collection. It's quite awesome you're uploading them for them to live on past the company.

Thanks for all the great stuff you put out!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Whilst Im far too new to have been around for this, I bought all kinds of bits off you when I was first getting into 6mm and only had good experiences. I can only wish you all the best.

I hope it doesnt seem crass to bring this up so soon - but although I probably dont have the funds to buy all the model rights*, I would be interested in buying the rights/mould for the strip bases? Im not sure if you manufactured these yourself in a bench-sized setup, or had a company holding a mould for you, but no-one else made them and it'd be a shame to see them disappear.

(*I would totally take over and continue the site if possible - even if only buying some of the models and mainly continuing as a distributor for onslaught/tmg - but Im guessing its probably valued at more than the savings I have [without me posting my account balance lets say it was towards a new car, Im not exactly someone who buys companies regularly].)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You put out great models! Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very sad news.
Best wishes for the future.
Time to look after yourself and enjoy things at a less hectic pace.
Thanks for everything.