Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Net Epic Gold Finalization

Post subject: Re: Net Epic Gold Finalization
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apologies for overreacting and not spotting you were joking about the Squats! :)

I can get a little over passionate about defending stats and miniatures that go waaaaay back!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I should say that I've never played a newer version of 40k than 2nd ed. and mainly at the moment I play old games like Necromunda and Inquisitor, I love old models and old rules and don't want them to be disrespected.

With regards to my Space Crusade comment, I meant that I think in that game there was a fairly arbritary division of forces into good and evil: space Marines vs a nominally chaos force. But the game included gretchin, chaos androids etc. I personally suspect that they got carried into the next ruleset due to this. Grandfathered in, included to make up numbers, that sort of thing. I think the IP was much looser in those days! I think the fact that the chaos dreadnought has the space crusade design instead of the design of the actual miniature supports this theory somewhat, although I really have no idea why they took design cues from space crusade, maybe it was incredibly popular or something.

I don't mind trolls and minotaurs particularly, although they definitely harken to a time when Gw was just making Warhammer in space, and the IP was less formalised. I don't really like things that seem like they snuck in due to someone having made a model and wanting official rules for them (Crimson Suns etc) but again, it's easy to ignore. I love how Netepic has so many options that it is fine to ignore chunks of your army book without crippling your army.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quick question - how will you be able to edit the gold files to update it then? Is it a case of writing everything out again?

I was working on ways to reformat the army book, one thing that's quite obvious is that the army books effectively list each unit type several times - once with a picture and a description (and sometimes with special rules hidden in the description text) - once with the costs and once with the stats.

I think that some changes ought to be made, mainly that the special rules for a unit should stand out from the description text. But also possibly it would make sense to have stats (and costs?) included in the unit descriptions area as well.

One other thing - if gold will see the introduction of new unit types, won't the army books need to be continually updated? Eg. If you want to add a morkanaut (whatever they are), you'd have to re-edit the entire pdf. I wonder if making the army books as online databases rather than print documents doesn't make more sense? If the army books need to re-written from scratch anyway, perhaps there are better ways to enter the data than in a document. An online resource of unit types could be filtered by various categories - eg. Legacy, Experimental, Heresy Era, and so forth.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Gold will not see the inclusion of new units. Only errata/omission updates will be done.

One of the promises of Gold was to leave it "as is". A stable version as it were.

While many of us like changing/adding/modifying stuff, many do not and thus that version is for them.

Of course this does not preclude people from using platinum things in their games, they just won't be in that book.

As for the text version, all I can do is copy/paste the text from Gold to a doc file. It will be a lot of work, but there is little way around this.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry yes I got confused, although the Gold army books are getting a couple of 'new' units - eg. Hydras for guard. What I should have said is, won't the platinum army books need to be continually updated, and if so, is it perhaps an option to create a something database driven - a web app - rather than a pdf? I could visualise a great system for searching and filtering the old Cards, although I can't figure out how to make something that would work for the new Formations other than just doing something like https://traitor-legion.appspot.com/

I'm curious as to how the updates to Gold are actually going to be made then, will it just be a text document that includes the errata but which replaces the existing Gold rulebook and armybooks?

Apologies if this all seems a bit tedious, I am just trying to think what I can do to help, from a practical point of view, as a web developer/designer. Coming from Necromunda which has the excellent Yaktribe website and Community Edition rules it is hard not to want to emulate some of that. I hope I am not treading on any toes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

The updates to gold will be done on the original Adobe Indesign files that the person whom worked on it used.

This means I will have to subscribe myself to be able to use the program. Indesign is no longer available as a stand alone program.

This means I will replace the old books with an updated one converted to PDF. It also means I have to extract the text from those original files to make some sort of text only document.

If there is another way of doing any of this, then I'm all ears. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I could edit the indesign files for you if you like? Assuming it's small edits. Personally I would like to redesign the rules and army books but that might be better left for platinum editions? Or perhaps I could just do the text only 'lite' version if you send me the updated, modified indesign files and then if you like what I do, they could form the basis for the design work of platinum?

Either way I'd be happy as I'd get a stripped down version of gold I can use for the time being.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bruticus wrote:
Well I could edit the indesign files for you if you like? Assuming it's small edits. Personally I would like to redesign the rules and army books but that might be better left for platinum editions? Or perhaps I could just do the text only 'lite' version if you send me the updated, modified indesign files and then if you like what I do, they could form the basis for the design work of platinum?

Either way I'd be happy as I'd get a stripped down version of gold I can use for the time being.

Hi!

The edits are indeed "small". Go to the net epic army list subforums and in each army forum there is a thread titled "gold summary for "insert army list name".

The first post has enumerated all that needs to be done for each book.

If after looking though these you consider you have the time to tackle this, I will forward the original excel files to you for editing/updating.

Also you can derive the text only files from it as well.

Additionally, if you felt you want to produce and alternate layout for the whole thing, you could do that to and I'll offer the updated original format, plus the updated alternate format as well. :)

It all depends on what you would like to do and have time for. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep I can do that, saves you having to subscribe to creative cloud, which isn't cheap these days.

I think there are some points I need clarification on but most look easy, like points changes. There are some changes that might be tricky, like adding stormtroopers if the layout doesn't allow for it, but I am sure this can all be sorted out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bruticus wrote:
Yep I can do that, saves you having to subscribe to creative cloud, which isn't cheap these days.

I think there are some points I need clarification on but most look easy, like points changes. There are some changes that might be tricky, like adding stormtroopers if the layout doesn't allow for it, but I am sure this can all be sorted out.

Hi!

Drop me an e-mail and we can make it happen. :)

pramos10@cox.net

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just to add my view to all of this. Gold was agreed to be minor revisions of the existing rules for those, like me, that didn't want to see major change to what is, in my opinion, a very well updated version of the much loved Space Marine 2. It is for this reason that older units, such as Androids (which weren't an afterthought), Chaos Squats, Minotaurs, and Trolls remain.

Things like Big Mutants and other revised names of these models are used in the current version of Epic (EA), so would not be suitable here in any case.

I disagree completely with the need to add units from contemporary 40K, and making lots of changes. Those who wanted to go down that route opted to work on Platinum. If wholesale change is your cup of tea, then that's the project to be involved in :).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Irisado wrote:
Just to add my view to all of this. Gold was agreed to be minor revisions of the existing rules for those, like me, that didn't want to see major change to what is, in my opinion, a very well updated version of the much loved Space Marine 2. It is for this reason that older units, such as Androids (which weren't an afterthought), Chaos Squats, Minotaurs, and Trolls remain.

Things like Big Mutants and other revised names of these models are used in the current version of Epic (EA), so would not be suitable here in any case.

I disagree completely with the need to add units from contemporary 40K, and making lots of changes. Those who wanted to go down that route opted to work on Platinum. If wholesale change is your cup of tea, then that's the project to be involved in :).

Hi!

Given the recent discussion, even Platinum is not going to be "all that different" beyond a cost formula and newer formation rules.

Like Magnus mentioned the cost formula people can just make whatever they want anyway, so ultimately the amount of work to be done is significantly less. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Update.

I only have the adeptus mechanicus and Tyranids to complete the errata document for net epic Gold.

I hope to have it done this week end.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for all your efforts Primarch. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, Prim isn't a mortal as we are, so this wasn't a big deal for him really! Actually his servitors did all the work. But thank you Prim (and all the servitors)

Blogging about 6-15mm wargaming: http://www.lead-space.net

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next