Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Modular Epic / Exodus Wars 6mm buildings and 15mm stuff

Post subject: Re: Modular Epic / Exodus Wars 6mm buildings
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MrGonzo wrote:
Very interested in an estimated cost! :)

+1

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I keep on coming back to look at these and find myself excited by the possibilities for this idea.

Additions to the range i'd like to see would include:

Big Factory, Government buildings, Shopping precinct (imperial citizens have to eat) :D you get the idea structures you would see in most cities.

More concept pictures please.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Me too!!! :) ( what. Dakka said)

Blogging about 6-15mm wargaming: http://www.lead-space.net

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks very interesting. Good work on the proportions and layout of windows - very convincing.

Quick question - is the module compatible with the old SM2 building roofs? I've been thinking a lot recently about replacing the increasingly tatty card walls for a while...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Only gripe is I saw these only after my foray into the dusty joys of moldmaking and plastercasting. You seem to have nailed proportions and detailing level perfectly. Awaiting cost and webshop eagerly. On my wishlist: a nice set of citytiles (on wich to place buildings) adapted to a nice set of compatible road sections. Complete with epic scale gutters and other detail. I have been looking for a CNC rig in order to produce his myself, but I would rather buy yours.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:00 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

A while back someone did this and posted some preview shots. It worked amazingly well, unfortunately they also dropped off the face of the earth. These are pretty awesome too, though it might be nice to have a bit greater density possible with the buttresses for variety. Perhaps a thinner, windowless segment that has mount points for the buttresses on either side?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:
A while back someone did this and posted some preview shots. It worked amazingly well, unfortunately they also dropped off the face of the earth. These are pretty awesome too, though it might be nice to have a bit greater density possible with the buttresses for variety. Perhaps a thinner, windowless segment that has mount points for the buttresses on either side?

I think this is a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Talking about dropping off the face of the earth, tc63 where are you man we want your stuff.

Addressing the inside corner problem could you not just make a special tile for this area?

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for all the positive comments and ideas! Sorry for the lack of reply, have had quite a hectic weekend.

@Nitpick, City tiles are mostly already designed and waiting to be cut, but I want to concentrate on the buildings first so I can ensure compatibility with the spaces on the tiles for buildings. Currently I am looking at 30cm square tiles, with roads, corners etc, raised sections of different heights, city park areas, monuments and dockyards/canals. There will also be defensive city walls with gatehouses and the like, but I haven't even drawn up designs for this yet. For the road tiles, the pavements are MDF, but the roads are made out of thick card and have road markings cut into them. This is so that they can be painted separately and then slotted back into the right place on the road, thus helping to get an accurate paint job.

@Blip, currently not no, I hadn't even thought of this before. I don't have the exact dimensions of the SM2 roofs, but could certainly knock something together specifically for them, but I don't think this could be done modularly, I'll look into it though!

@Borka
Attachment:
File comment: Straight/inside corner section
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 398.23 KiB | Viewed 2957 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Outside corner section
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 492.94 KiB | Viewed 2957 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Roof and floor tile, plus some mockups of fully modular tiles.
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG [ 460.53 KiB | Viewed 2957 times ]

Although the segments shown here are currently 3 floors high, they would be available in different heights. Another alternative I am working on is to try and create a fully modular option, with each floor being a separate segment, allowing complete customisation of height and overall look. Doing this will also allow for far more customisation and variety when placing battle-damaged segments and would mean roofs can be removable to aid in placing miniatures in the ruins or to allow battles to occur inside some of the larger factory style buildings. I haven't tried this out yet, but too much in the way of modularity will affect the rigidity of the building and make it too delicate. At the moment floors and roofs aren't modular, as they provide much of the durability of the structure. I am working on this, but if I cant find an alternative then floors and roof tiles would be bought separately and give an indication of how many wall segments would be necessary to complete a floor. There will also be buildings available to buy as a one click pack to make things simple if some people aren't bothered so much about the customisation aspect.

@Mattman and Moredakka
There are currently corner pieces and straight bits, the only problem with creating a specific interior corner segment is that there would need to be four versions of it depending on what tile would be adjoining on to it. I want this system to be modular but also relatively simple, which means keeping the different types of tile necessary to create a decent building down to a minimum. With the corner solution I am working on however, there wouldn't even need to be these different corner/straight segments. Concepts I have in mind at the moment include factories, (with working hangar doors in different sizes for tanks, titans etc) city district walls that divide areas, airport buildings and runways, military buildings with less of a Gothic feel to them and residential buildings. I always thought most imperial citizens would eat in large central canteen type buildings, much like some parts of Russian have, I'll make some sort of large building with a central open air courtyard that can be used for this sort of thing or as a commercial area, thanks for the comments!

@spectra Ghost - Don't worry, the gaps in the corner would normally be scored in to allow the end user to snap them out or keep them in depending on whether it would be used for a corner piece or if they didn't want to attach buttresses, but I only cut one straight piece so had to use the same one moved about in the photos! I think I have a solution for the corner problem, it also lends itself to even further modularity by having an option for corner buttresses and allows door segments and other specialty segments to be placed right next to the corners, though it'll involve a little more modelling skill on the part of the person putting the kit together. I'll try it out this weekend coming and see what happens.

@Vaaish and Borka, thanks for the idea! A thinner piece just for the buttresses wouldn't work as it would throw the proportions off if there were any corners that didn't allow an equal number of segments on both sides. However, I do now have a design for a regular sized segment with two thinner windows either side of an extra set of mount points for the buttresses, thus doubling the amount of them on a building and changing its look quite dramatically. Maybe I'll name it in your honour!

@Lead-Space
As this will all be modular, I want to ensure that any future pieces I make will be fully compatible, which means a few more prototypes to make sure there won't need to be any design changes later on down the line. I aim to have something available by Christmas at least though!

In terms of costs I'm afraid I can't say yet as it mostly depends on laser cutting time. As these are prototypes they were not laid out on the cutter economically, but rest assured they will be as cheap as I can reasonably make them.

Thanks again for all the ideas guys, keep em coming!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like it! I like it lots! I was wondering about the roads. One problem with existing city terrain offers is that roads frequently look dull, much like regular contemporary roads. I think that is due to the unimaginative markings. I would consider making an unmarked set of roads or perhaps ensure that you could flip the road sections for an unmarked side.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the update tc63 i'm fairly stoked by this project i think it's going to be awesome!

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You know, the more I look at the tile floors and walls, the more I think you could easily make a 6mm zone of mortalis board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Funnily enough I was thinking the same whilst doing some designs tonight. As it stands the modular city tiles I mentioned before are customisable themselves and could have wall parts added to them easily enough to make something similar to zone mortalis or spaceship interiors, just didn't think there would be any real interest in it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Let's see, there are people that use the tiles and walls to play 6mm Space Hulk, zone of mortalis, or the FFG 40k RPG. If it looks good enough, there are people who want to use it as a diorama or show piece

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dezombiefying this promising thread! What´s up? Any news? When can we buy a complete modular cityscape including canals, roads, monorails and a grimdark themepark?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next