Login |  Register |  FAQ

Iron Warriors V1.0a

Post subject: Iron Warriors V1.0a
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:36 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Continuing on from THIS Iron Warrior thread, here is the latest development on the army list.

Download link to Iron Warriors V1.0a.

Changes in V1.0a (listed in red in the download):
- Increased movement of Daemonic Artillery
- Reduced the cost of Daemonic Artillery
- Reduced cost of Emplacements
- Added the Stalker AA tank
- Added the Stalker, Warlord and Daemon Prince upgrades to the Havoc Company
- Added the Stalker, Warlord, Daemon Prince and Iron Warriors Assault Marines upgrades to the Seigehammer Company
- Added the Stalker upgrade to the Iron Warriors Company
- Added the Stalker upgrade to the Armoured Company
- Changed the weapon loadout on the Sieglord Titan (added Hellstrike Cannon and Doomburner)
- Added Iron Warrior Chaos Marines, Iron Warrior Havocs, Iron Warriors Assault Marines and Chosen Chaos Marines to the Ironfist Assault Pod

*edit - The PDF should note that a max of 1/3 of the points can be spent on Navy and Dark Mechanicus units.
Emplacement stats:
-1 to shoot at any unit in the emplacement.
Infantry - 4+ cover save
Vehicles - 5+ cover save
War Engines - Impassable terrain

I really want these things to only be able to set up with the vehicles in them. I don't like some player's interpretation whereby they buy the fortifications as an upgrade for one formation and then garrison other formations in the defences.
Basically in this list, you have to set up the gun emplacements with the artillery in them.

The Daemonic Artillery movement was increased to prevent it from beginning the game garrisoned on overwatch. It now can't hit the enemy deployment zone and therefore it has seen a slight reduction in cost.

Reduced the cost of Emplacements as I can't imagine them ever being taken.

Changed the weapons on the Sieglord titan. Removed the Siege Launchers and the Gatling Blaster and replaced them with a Doomburner and Hellstrike Cannon (increasing the titan cost by 50pts).

Increased the type of units available to be transported in the Ironfist Assault Pod to give more options.

And the Stalker AA tank has been added as an upgrade to several formations to remove reliance on aircraft for AA duties.

I'll be using the new list in an upcoming 4 week campaign and possibly as the ringer army in a 3 game, 1 day tournament.

Let me know what you think! :)
Steve.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

Last edited by Onyx on Tue May 14, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Iron Warriors V1.0a
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

all positive changes - particularly the daemon arty movement and the addition of the stalker, which address the biggest problems i saw with the list...

although Stalker not as good as the Hunter in the SM list...reason for that?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The stalker looks to be about the stats we've proposed in the Experimental Units datasheet for the Hyperios Whirlwind though that is 2x on the launcher itself. Might want to drop the price in my opinion. Otherwise this is a great list! Quick question: Predators are restricted to Annihilators only. Why so?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:04 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Frosthammer wrote:
although Stalker not as good as the Hunter in the SM list...reason for that?
It was decided to start the Stalker at a lower firepower and work our way up if needed after MUCH play testing. We can either reduce the cost a bit or add another shot if it needs it.

jimmyzimms wrote:
Quick question: Predators are restricted to Annihilators only. Why so?
They are actually Chaos Predators not Annihilators. The Iron Warrior list uses exactly the same Predators as most/all other Chaos lists.

Cheers,
Steve.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Like the look of the list. Couple of quick questions
-Vindicator option. How many are allowed (0-4 to match predators?)
-Emplacements cost is per vehicle (ie 3*25 for a battery and 9*25 for a grand battery). Sounds like a lot!
-Basilisk batteries look expensive for what you get (300 + emplacements for 3 barrage points). Could these be cheaper? (although they cost 250 in strategy 2 guard armies so possibly not). I'm assuming there's no chance of getting an extra basilisk as that would sneak put them up to 4 BP (and hance an extra template).

Hoping to get a game in soon so should have more feedback then.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:55 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

- Vindicator upgrade is 0-3 35pts each.

- The emplacement upgrade is going to be reduced in price in the next version. Probably 25pts for 3 emplacements. It really is only for the -1 to-hit modifier. I often use terrain on the board for free.

- We'll stick with 3 Basilisks for now. I'd love to bump it up to 4 but the combination of barrage weapons and teleporting Terminators is already powerful. I'm weary of adding more barrage attacks on top of the Basilisks and Ordinatus.

Keep the questions/comments coming.
I've played nearly a dozen games with the new list now. Unfortunately, many of those games have been against beginners.

Steve.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

hiya

Forgive the newb question - but what model is meant to represent the daemonic artillery? Is there a matching 40k model or is it made up?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:14 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I used guard bombards with the 40k dragon head gun barrels and some chain for my daemonic artillery (idea shamelessly stolen from someone here on TacComms).

*edit - here's the best pic I can find right now.

As far as the inspiration for the daemonic artillery, have you read Storm of Iron? It's all in there.

Steve.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

Last edited by Onyx on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm planing on using some weird Spider Walkers from GZG and some chaos vehicle spreue bits to make arty for mine. Pretty much anything goes is the point I believe is being made :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah ha! That helps a lot. Thanks!

And no, haven't read any GW novels - which would explain why I was so confused :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
- We'll stick with 3 Basilisks for now. I'd love to bump it up to 4 but the combination of barrage weapons and teleporting Terminators is already powerful. I'm weary of adding more barrage attacks on top of the Basilisks and Ordinatus.

That's very sensible. Terminator armies usually force opponents to bunch up. Artillery armies force opponents to spread out. The combination of Terminators and a War Engine that does 10 BP is already extremely powerful - far more powerful than either would be on their own.

Speaking of the Ordinatus, I do have some feedback on that but will send that via PM. The speed change to prevent garrisoning daemonic artillery is an elegant idea, nice work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the responses. Limiting the artillery to 3's makes sense. Having got a game in I can agree that 4 gun basilisk batteries probably aren't needed.

Only managed to get one game in (and that was only a 2000 point vassal game). Will post it in the battle reports section once I've organised my notes.

What are people using for defiler proxies? I've checked several companies but haven't found anything suitable.

Cheers

Edit: Added link to battle report
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=25683&p=485872#p485872
Not sure how much use it will be since its a small beginner game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:43 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Any play testing is useful so thanks :) .

For defilers, I was lucky enough to buy lots of the fan-made proxies when they were available (sadly long out of production).
Anyone else got any ideas for proxy Defilers?

Having played a game in the US with Dave, I think I'll adjust the Ordinatus slightly (and also after local input from Matt_Shadowlord).
The only real change I'm thinking about is reducing the BP from 10 to 9.
This would still give the 2 extra templates but only 1 extra BM (meaning 2 BM's placed automatically). This would remove the auto break of 3DC war engines and other 3 strong formations. I still want to keep the Disrupt so there is still a good chance of breaking small enemy formations.
I'd also like to re-name the Ordinatus Chaotica to Ordinatus Medrengard (just a fluff suggestion really).

I think the Emplacement upgrade will become 25pts for 3 Emplacements rather than 25pts each. It's still not likely to be taken but it's at least starting to approach usable at that cost.

Other small house keeping matters are to make both Terminators and Dreadnoughts take up 2 transport slots in the Sieglord Iron Fist Assault Pod (should always have been this way).

The Stalker is a fairly sub-standard AA vehicle.
My thoughts are to either reduce it to 35pts each or increase the AA shots to 2x 30cm AA5+.
Any thoughts on this?
I don't have a particular preference.

In keeping with the NetEA process for getting lists approved, I'm going to be playing as many games vs other NetEA approved lists as possible in the near future.
We need 6 batreps from 3 seperate gaming groups in oder to apply for approval.

Are there any other suggestions/thoughts/ideas for the Iron Warriors list? I have played well over a dozen games with V1.0a and haven't really hit any major snags.
Speak up now and we'll see what can be done.
I'd like to get a V2 of the list out soon and then I can start playing proper test games and see if we can get approved status soon.

Cheers,
Steve.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Steve,

Love the list mate and will get a game or two in to help you get your numbers through. Love the unit pics as well. I still haven't managed to get my hands on one of those 144 scale guns to get an Ordinatus made. Excellent Land Raider mate, really love that paint job.

Cheers
Aaron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree with CAL001 Those are lovely mini's.

Nice subtle change to the Ordinatus.

Like the emplacements change. At 25 for 3 I'll take them and see if they work.

Stalker is tricky. Going to 2 shots is interesting (and would have the side benefit of matching the incoming 40k model). range 45 to match other ground based missiles is a different upgrade option.Not sure I'd do both in one pass though. Statwise its still worse than a Hydra although that's not a totally fair comparison due to the better initiative and strategy.

The only thing is the Ravager feels a bit undergunned compared to a Reaver. 3AP/AT shot + 1TK compared to 8AP/AT + Barrage although the Ravager is better in engagements due to the Tail and head. Thinking about it I may be undervaluing the TK shot not having used them.