Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 44  Next

GW/FW Ending SG (was: GW Night Spinners no longer available)

Post subject: Re: GW/FW Ending SG (was: GW Night Spinners no longer availa
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Gah, I just ordered Void Spinners direct from the UK this morning! Only thing I won't be getting is Steam Gargants, but then again I didn't fancy paying $150 for 3 of them anyway......

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:42 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Well.... dang...

This all reminds me of that scene in Aliens, when we are watching the Marines helmet cameras and life support charts, and one by one they go dead and names are called out. Depressing as hell....

adamwest wrote:
I dont know wether to sell my stuff or wait for 'proxies' to start popping up! Does this make things easier leagally for people to make and sell proxies?

This iwll have no bearing on the situation with proxy miniatures. GW own the rights, designs and images of their IP, whether minis are actually produced or not.

jimmyzimms wrote:
Time for everyone to grab copies of any documents you want ad well. With Google Doc, SkyDrive, and DropBox being this convenient there's little reason to not squirrel things away.

I actually have a backup of the entire SG section of the GW site. Well, more correctly, GW have a backup of my collection, after the official SG download site went down and all the documents were lost, Andy asked me if I had copies and I sent them off to GW.

novemberrain wrote:
Just rang forgeworld -

Nothing new is being cast for EPIC, BFG, AI etc. Stuff is only in stock for as long as it lasts.

This is all pretty bad news. Its not so bad for those of us with established collections, but it pretty much stops any new players getting into the game now. Like most people, I have a long list of stuff that I was going to pick up at some point but right now I am not sure that I have the enthusiasm to even work out what is most important.

I think that it is now time to start working on the TacCmd mini catalogue and getting some resident sculptors and casters co-ordinated.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CyberShadow wrote:
Well.... dang...

This all reminds me of that scene in Aliens, when we are watching the Marines helmet cameras and life support charts, and one by one they go dead and names are called out. Depressing as hell....

Thank you. Ive been depressed as hell over this whole issue all day, and you just gave me my first smile of the day. That was excellent.

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
paypal please, they are £27.70 GBP, I am doing a run to GW HQ on thursday if required, so please get orders to me by midday tomorrow so I can make sure they're ready to be collected thursday afternoon

I'll attempt to pack items over the weekend and send either saturday or monday, I'll ship via parcelforce for tracking, but once it leaves the UK I'll consider it delivered

I'd prefer to group orders together for people in the same locale, but I'm aware the US is a big place and even people in the same state may be 3-4 hours drive away from each other....

Thanks again!

If you can get me your paypal information I'll get you funds immediately, if that would help you reserve the models for pickup before they are gone.

(Provided I can remember how to use my paypal account in a mode other than "click to pay now" on ebay..... LOL)

Of course, pm me the shipping cost as well once you know it. (For anyone else "in the same area", I'm effectively in Fairfax, VA)

Again, thank you very much for this offer. I've always wanted that model, I just kept putting it off because I kept buying old-school models on ebay auctions that would end soon, and the GW-online models would "always be there later...."

-Allen McCarley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some SG/FW miniatures will become rare sightings indeed. Reminds me of... Wierzbowski

http://www.wierzbowski.net/

I think CyberShadow is on the right track, though. I think a joint design feat could be possible. This also opens up new possibilities for all those companies which already pour great designs over us (that are great for proxies) and are customer-friendly to boot.

/Fredmans

Edit: Wrote a long letter with the gist being: this is not the company whose miniatures and games I fell in love with and that apart from the current order I would never buy another GW product. The whole sneaky procedure felt like cowardice and I wondered if they had taken into account whether that was the right way to treat mostly long-term customers. I thanked them for what they had been and disapproved of what they had become.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
This is all pretty bad news. Its not so bad for those of us with established collections, but it pretty much stops any new players getting into the game now. Like most people, I have a long list of stuff that I was going to pick up at some point but right now I am not sure that I have the enthusiasm to even work out what is most important.

Agreed. This is the biggest concern I have.

Quote:
I think that it is now time to start working on the TacCmd mini catalogue and getting some resident sculptors and casters co-ordinated.

And this is the best response.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CyberShadow wrote:

Ha! Thanks for making me smile. That's totally going to be my happy place today. :)

CyberShadow wrote:
I actually have a backup of the entire SG section of the GW site. Well, more correctly, GW have a backup of my collection, after the official SG download site went down and all the documents were lost, Andy asked me if I had copies and I sent them off to GW.

Good to know. I am not sure if they can legally be posted for public DL (go ping for permission) but as they were available for free download in the public space the legally can be shared for private use. Anyone is welcome to PM if they're looking for stuff that was free downloads.

CyberShadow wrote:

Yeah the old timers are in good shape for stuff that's hard to proxy (Marines and Eldar especially).
For this exact line of reasoning I've put up a specific thread here for those of us with partial but not really usable armies of stuff can hopefully hook up with people that have that one last thing to finish an army that you have.

CyberShadow wrote:

For those of you with the memory for such things might want to look back at this thread here for context about the fallout from Otterforge. In there I repeatedly poked the TacComms community to go out and follow my lead on drumming up 6mm works and designers. the TL;DR version is that in straight up cold calling designers on Shapeways the response was overwhelmingly positive for being open to produce 6mm designs PROVIDED WE HAVE THEM. :) Also let's not forget about supporting and actively promoting those awesome 6mm ranges from DRM, EW, TMG/Abomination, C&C, Onslaught and anyone else I've missed. I think the time has come to start putting some time into this concept again. Good call CS!! :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moscovian wrote:

Quote:

And this is the best response.

This is the best response, agreed. But still, not much good for introducing new players. No one I know has even heard of Tact Comm, including the few people I talk too that actually know what Epic is. Of the small handful of people that I know that know of 40k/GW not one of them have any interest in Epic, mostly because either a)they are old farts that think they cant see the minis :P
Or
B) cant be bothered with it as 40k is an easy option rather then watching ebay everyday to get minis for a game.

Its great that's there's a great community here, but with out more exposure, epic and the like will still turn in to a forgotten realm of 6mm goodness. Fantastic for those of us that are already here, but no good to have growth.

For as long as epic exists as it does now, GW will hammer down on any one that gets too close to their IP.

Oh well. Going to just enjoy it for as long as I can!

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wouldn't try and promote as Epic straight up, or at least for something that wasn't easily proxied (Guard/Traitors for instance which is damn easy). However the name isn't important for me, it's the game play mechanics that I care more about (for the playing side of the hobby at least). Personally having read through the EW rules I find them excellent and reminicent of E:A. Actually I'll go one further and say they are categorically better than E:A as they have the benefit of correcting design mistakes learned from years of playing. I'm out and already about putting the word out there now!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:58 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I would question how many newcomers start through buying from GW, in my experience it tends to be joining existing epic gaming groups who can point them in the right direction for models or starting off on their own through ebay. Prices at GW pushed people to ebay anyway.

There is a wide range of 6mm models available both IP and non IP friendly and this isn't going to change, anybody who can't find epic rules+models via google probably couldn't understand the rules either. Fanatic shutting, the Chaos non-release, SG forums shutting, FW cutting their range + Otterforge closing didn't kill EA and neither will this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With FW dropping their Epic Lines, will this impact Aeronautica Imperialis as well?

It looks like it is still on their site for now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
With FW dropping their Epic Lines, will this impact Aeronautica Imperialis as well?

Yes. AI is going OOP too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That one surprises me a bit. AI is 'their' game, 'their' line of miniatures, and not even made of metal. Odd.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:55 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

It's likely the problem of storing all those molds and inventory. As in, why store them when they could store a SM mold that makes them more money.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 44  Next