Login |  Register |  FAQ

The Ikea Effect

Post subject: The Ikea Effect
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I came accross this article today and thought it was interesting. I have to admit that I think I have fallen victim to this in the past.

the Ikea effect

I have noticed that when I take a model from computer drawing to physical model there is always a bit of disappointment with how it turns out. I think that this effect has a lot to do with that.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The Ikea Effect
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:21 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote:
Have you ever spent a couple of hours working on a craft project — or a presentation for work — and then fallen in love with what you've accomplished? Do the colors you've picked for your PowerPoint background pop so beautifully that you just have to sit back and admire your own genius?

… eh i'm pretty much the exact opposite. The colours everyone else pick out always look better, and if the table was crooked i'd give myself a hard time over it (not saying i'd necessarily fix it … but I certainly wouldn't be happy about it).

Is the article more of a US way of looking at things maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think there is a difference between trying to make something and trying to make a copy of something.

You are talking about comparing something you've done to something similar that someone else has done and feeling like you've come up short.

I think this article is talking about things that people create that aren't (or can't) be compared immediately to something else. If you were to scratch build a model for a unit that does not have an official model - would you judge it more or less harshly than you would judge a scratch built model of a unit that does have an official model?

Based on some of the scratch builds that get posted here, I definitely think that the described effect is world wide.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:58 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Fair enough, put that way i'm not sure, I didn't read the article properly.

I think I would always find something to compare against (even if not a copy) in some sense even if there was no official unit. E.g. that item is not the same shape but the way the material has been worked is better, or that item in a different material takes that shape so much better. I tend to dislike things after i've made them, warm to them after a week, and then come back to the realisation of their shoddiness after a few months. Not just hobby related, same with design work, academic writing, etc … hm reading this back i sound like rather a negative person. I don't say I'm displeased with things i've done as often as i think it, as that pisses people off ;)

semajnollissor wrote:
Based on some of the scratch builds that get posted here, I definitely think that the described effect is world wide.
:spin touché

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
I tend to dislike things after i've made them, warm to them after a week, and then come back to the realisation of their shoddiness after a few months. Not just hobby related, same with design work, academic writing, etc … hm reading this back i sound like rather a negative person. I don't say I'm displeased with things i've done as often as i think it, as that pisses people off ;)

Hey! That is exactly what I was going to write - to he letter! Well well. I think that not-invented-here and kill-your-darlings might have gotten a flat packaged sibling.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

semajnollissor wrote:

hah! I'm under no illusions just how poor my models are, but it's the making part I enjoy, with a small side order of 'getting an army together' which goes against perfectionist returning and returning.

On the other hand, I've started using a 'cool down' period of a week before I declare a model finished. Normally it goes through about 3-4 extra layers of detail before I'm happy enough to prime it.