madd0ct0r wrote:
reading over now.

thoughts to go here:

1) too many commas and run on sentences in the introducton

That's a problem of mine. :-)

Quote:
2) [spoiler]HGW - :D[/spolier]

3) [spoiler]Overthrowing this grim dark future :D[/spoiler]

heh - we've put in references to quite a lot of scifi & fantasy settings through HGW's texts, up to and including a reference to "little wars", the tabletop wargame that HGW wrote. :-)

Quote:
4) Rules look ok on a first pass through. Possibly the interaction of turning rules and weapon arc rules are overly complex - it's meant to be a fast paced game yes?

S'not been a problem in practice.

Quote:
5) Rules for releasing a giant arthropod on the battlefield required in future expansion :)

Definitely - we're looking at doing "special characters" at some point, including HGW himself with his time-bending abilities.

Quote:
6)No mechanism for flyers except for slow skimmers... I suppose they can be bundled with an expansion should you choose to include them later.

Yup, no true fliers at this time.

Quote:
7) it's silly, but i find when reading Anti-I and Anti-V in tiny type to be quite difficult to differentiate them at a glance.
a -I- and -V- would be quite sufficient.

S'not been a problem when using printed documents so far... taken aboard.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Timeline 300 BETA rulebook preview
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RexHavoc wrote:
Wow. Very impressive work. The artwork though out is fantastic, really suits the image, very very cool old school sci-fi.

Will read through the rest of the rules over the weekend! Just one question; When will there be a movie be out?? ;D

The movie version was already released in 1984, in Timeline 359...

pixelgeek wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:
Intended for an eventual hardcopy print run.

If that is the case then I would try to find someone to do a proper layout for you. Even using Pages or a similar consumer level package is going to give you better results and probably save you a few pages.

Are you using Word/Open Office to do your current layout?

We'll likely be fine, remember this is a Beta copy and even basic things like how many units there are in each army are in flux, let alone the layout.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
We'll likely be fine, remember this is a Beta copy and even basic things like how many units there are in each army are in flux, let alone the layout.

Going to print for the final version?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Once we've sorted out the rules, background, units, artwork, layout, and photography, yup.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:25 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Would just like to say that I had a game of this last night with Ben and found it most enjoyable. Now all I have to do is to work out how to use vehicles. We played Brits vs. Germans and thanks to Ben managing to roll less than me on strategy rolls on all but two occasions.

Quick comments, managing resources was quick and simple.
Movement - very simple and effective.
Combat (incl Shooting) - Some very effective & some very ineffective which forces you to think carefully about what forces you need on the table.

I'm going to give this another go next week and try out the Germans for myself, think that I'm going to be facing the Martians ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the writeup Tim - At this stage in development, I'm just happy to see that the words "think" and "carefully" are appearing together. That it was actually playable and enjoyable is a nice bonus! :-)

Quote:
I'm going to give this another go next week and try out the Germans for myself, think that I'm going to be facing the Martians

Oh look Martian infantry now cost 1 coal point per Detachment! Wow!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:34 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I managed to fit in another game against E&C last week continuing my feeler games of the different factions this time I played Germans against E&C's Martians.

This game ran differently from the first as with the cost of formations the Martians had to start small and get mines down fast to steadily build up their forces. Seeing the opportunity to try and over run the Martian walkers I started off with a frigate formation and also built up my resources. With a cagey start we both built and built, I shot at the Martian walkers and didn't do anything, 3+ saves helping out here, until I took a cheekie shot at one of his Relocators and took it down. Now after the first game and a bit I started to see how you would look to win a game without battering your opponent into submission this is to try and concentrate on either the Relocators or Mines. By removing all of one or the other this stops your opponent from gaining any more forces onto the table and thus you can mop up his forces.

E&C continued to build Mines and replaced his lost Relocator, but that forced him onto one end of the table and quite bunched up. This allowed the Germans to build mine after mine whilst relocating forces onto the table to tie up the existing forces on the battlefield. This forced the Marians to bring on Infantry rather than being able to save for more walkers to crush the Germans.

With a steady flow of resources the Germans were able to launch a sweeping attack across the rear of the Marians original table edge and attacking the Mines and second Relocator. Coal production dropped for the Martians whilst picked up for the Germans, so much so that they could afford to being in a Land Cruiser which sat on a hill and alterated shots between walkers and mines.

Recognising the overwhelming situation the Martians decided to call it and headed back to their world.

In the end it was a one sided game but even though looking back I was winning for most of it, it didn't feel that way. Martians have a problem that they are the elite force of the game and are thus costed that way. This makes it difficult for them to initially build up their numbers and hit back at their opponents. However when they do it is generally frightening. Will try to have a go with them next time around.

Oh yes, we played with a proxy for the German Land Cruiser as E&C is still waiting for the Blue to come through - so we used half of the Blue for the British Land Cruiser - I'll just say make sure you visit the little boys room before you tke a look at it otherwise you might have an accident ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the further thoughts Tim!

I've not got another game this week, but next week and the week after two chaps at the club have asked to give it a go.

Quote:
British Land Cruiser

Which should be taking a bath in silicone in an hour or so... make models while the sun shines!