Login |  Register |  FAQ

New E-group: California_E-A_Gamers

Post subject: New E-group: California_E-A_Gamers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all, first post, so be kind. :) Played Epic 40k before (many years ago), but have only recently gotten back into Epic as Epic:A approaches and can't wait!
I've written this list up as a plan for my first Ork army and would appreciate any comments. I've looked through previous posts and think I've got a good selection of troops to keep things interesting. I've also only played a few trial games with some old models that my brother had threatened to throw away (over 500 stands of Orks, SM, Eldar and Chaos!), so I am looking to create a force that will be fun to play as a priority. I am also planning on making a feral ork army sometime soon too (to reflect my 40k army), but with the Epic:A release schedule not looking kind for Feral Orks, I'll put this on the back burner for now. Anyway, any comments welcome.

Thanks in advance. Duncan. :cool:

5000 Point Ork Army

BLOOD AXES - 1575 points

Big Warband +8 Battlewagons (630)
Stormboyz Warhorde +2 Stormboyz +5 Dethkoptas (375)
Big Blitz Brigade +2 Gunfortresses +Oddboy (570)

GOFFS - 1685 points

Big Blitz Brigade (250)
Big Mekboy Gunzmob +Oddboy +Nobz (310)
Mekboy Stompamob +1 SupaStompa (475)
Gargant (650)

EVIL SUNZ - 1720 points

Big Warband +5 Gunwagonz +3 Flakwagonz +4 Battlewagons (770)
Fighta Skwadron +2 Fighta Bommers (250)
Big KOS (12 Bikes, 4 Scorchas) (350)
Big KOS (12 Buggies, 4 Scorchas) (350)

Total: 4980 points.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Duncan, welcome to the forums.

The list looks nice, but there are a lot of big formations.  Though its hard not  to do that with Orks  :D

The Blood Axes look fine to me.

For the Goffs, I would try to fit in another Nob in the gunz mob, and some extra units in the stompa mob.  A couple of kanz and/or dreads to take supression/hits.

The evil sunz warband will be quite large.  The KoS are fine though.  About the right split between buggies and scorchas.

If you can, two formations of fighta bombas might be better, but I admit to not having used flyers in a game yet.  I want to make sure me (and the guy I'm teaching) know the basic rules inside out first.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:00 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

General rule: ?if it's over 500 points, you probably need to look at splitting it up. ?You will find that having more than a few large formations like that will significantly lessen your tactical flexibility. ?Personally, I try to keep my average formation size under 400 points.

I would recommend keeping 5-6 fighta-bommerz per formation. ?It makes them effective even in the face of significant flak and interception.

There's also another current Ork List thread to check out, and iirc, there was one in the mini painting thread also.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi, thanks for the advice guys.

I must admit that the ES warband was the section I was concerned with the most too. Putting them all in Battlewagons instead of Gun/flakwagonz will keep them mobile, but reduce their points to 630, freeing up more points to amend the other units. I will add four Killa Kans to the stompamob to take early hits (if they make it to combat, all the better!) The Gunzmob can be split from a single big formation into two normal sized units, each with a Nobz, and one with an Oddboy added. I won't alter the flyers yet until I get a bit more experience with them though.

New Ork Army List

Blood Axes - 1575 points (unchanged from above)

Goffs - 1845 points

Big Blitz Brigade (250)
Mekboy Gunzmob +Oddboy +Nobz (210)
Mekboy Gunzmob +Nobz (160)
Mekboy Stompamob +Supastompa +4 Killakans (575)
Gargant (650)

Evil Sunz - 1580 points

Big Warband +8 Battlewagons (630)
Fighta Skwadron +2 Fighta Bommers (250)
Big KOS (12 Bikes, 4 Scorchas) (350)
Big KOS (12 Buggies, 4 Scorchas) (350)

Total = 5000 points. ?:cool:

The list looks better like this and should allow for easy dissection when I want to fight smaller battles. Does it look better to you now? Any other details worrying anyone? ????

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:44 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Okay, I know I just said to reduce some mob sizes, but breaking up Big Gunz is not a good way to do it.

They are a fairly fragile formation, and lack the mob up bonuses that most ork units receive.  Because of that, they need every advantage they can get to counteract BMs.  I highly recommend not fielding them any smaller than a Big formation and putting the maximum number of nobz with them.

BTW, a lot of people miss the fact that larger mobz can have more of the restricted upgrades.  I noticed none of your Big or Uge mobz had more than 1.  They are allowed double or triple the number, so for a 0-1 restricted upgrade you can have 0-2 in a Big mob or 0-3 in a Uge mob.

In this case, a Big gunzmob could have up to 2 nobz.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Damn that rule. The number of *flippin'* times I've forgotten about that is unbelieveable! I sat looking at the list wondering how to get two Nobz into the Gunzmob for ages with just a blank look on my face! Argh! I suppose it's just a thing you get used to after a while... ????

Thanks Neal. I was worried about splitting them too, but thought it might be ok. :cool: ?Ok, Putting the two Mekboy Gunzmobs back together saves me the points to get a second Nobz in there, and leaves 25 points left. This I could either put into another Stormboy for the SBWarhorde (taking it to 9 - could be useful), or another Killakan or Big Gunz in their respective formations. No other changes to list, so won't retype it yet. :)

Btw I ordered a whole load of FW Battlewagons today in order to start some convershuns for my battle/gunz/flakwagons! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,

Is there anything to be gained by declaring the clan the formations belong to? I'm not sure if I missed something or not.

Regards,

Furgie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (furgie @ 26 2004 Jan.,14:03)
Hi all,

Is there anything to be gained by declaring the clan the formations belong to? I'm not sure if I missed something or not.

Regards,

Furgie

No, at the moment its just a generic Ork army list & the mention of clans is purely down to aethstetics (or however you spell that..... :-: ) & the colour schemes used.

http://hobbybrush.blogspot.com - My Hobby Blog
TuffSkull's notepad- My Old Blog on Wargames Wiki.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (TuffSkull @ 26 2004 Jan.,14:37)
No, at the moment its just a generic Ork army list & the mention of clans is purely down to aethstetics (or however you spell that..... :-: ) & the colour schemes used.

Agreed, Tuffskull, but for purists, players interested in Kult of Speed armies should tend to Evil Sunz, and those with a Feral Ork predilection, to Snakebites. I plan a future kult of speed army, but this will include my Eklips boyz, a sort of Sunz-working for Moonz hybrid.  :p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm with you Enginseer V, but I don't have any KOS or Eklipz Boys, but I like the idea !   :;):

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Legion 4 @ 26 2004 Jan.,17:19)
I'm with you Enginseer V, but I don't have any KOS or Eklipz Boys, but I like the idea ! ? :;):

In my case, I have a total of 1 Skorcha and 1 Landa belonging to the EBoyz - have got far to go.... :-:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's a start ... I have 30 Warbands in 3 Hordes.  Most a mix of all clans but one if primarily Blood Axe, another mostly Deff Skulz and then an "Allied Horde" wif sumz ove's each Orkzez clanz !   :;):

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Legion 4 @ 26 2004 Jan.,17:32)
It's a start ... I have 30 Warbands in 3 Hordes. ?Most a mix of all clans but one if primarily Blood Axe, another mostly Deff Skulz and then an "Allied Horde" wif sumz ove's each Orkzez clanz ! ? :;):

Wow - great, I always thought the D-skulls and B-Axes have loads of character. It's just that I can't resist red and yellow colour schemes (plus a soft spot for good old Nazdreg).
So - in view of all the alterations going on on the site - where do we sign up for ork clan smilies - not to mention ad-mech? Judging by the great thread on proprietary rights etc. (see Kult of Speed thread elsewhere) I guess we won't.  :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well you know me ... I don't like bright colors ! :laugh:  A lot of my Orkzez are metallics, or camo/tactical colors (green, gray, panzer yellow etc. !) :D .  I do have a red Nob bike leading one of my Nobz Mobz though !    :o   I love emoticons ... too bad we can't have them for each Epic Army ! :oo   OH !  I'm off to work !   See you all tonight !  If I don't get lost in a snow storm or eaten by a Yeti !  :o

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Legion 4 @ 26 2004 Jan.,17:50)
Well you know me ... I don't like bright colors ! :laugh: ?A lot of my Orkzez are metallics, or camo/tactical colors (green, gray, panzer yellow etc. !) :D . ?I do have a red Nob bike leading one of my Nobz Mobz though ! ? ?:o ? I love emoticons ... too bad we can't have them for each Epic Army ! :oo ? OH ! ?I'm off to work ! ? See you all tonight ! ?If I don't get lost in a snow storm or eaten by a Yeti ! ?:o

What, you too all snowed up? We never can get the stuff here. No yeti's either.  :(
Re colours - well, my earlier armies were all black with a spot of drybrushing in different colours - which is why I never show pics of my chaos epic army - too dark. Same for chaos 40k and chaos whfb - I've ended up repainting most of my troops in the end. The big change came with the purchase of a large display cabinet - my wife made a single condition (well, apart from reserving a shelf for her own models - more than fair enough, I got four) - that I had to paint more visible models. This prompted a spate of marines with yellow shoulder pads, plans for yellow and black Bad Moonz (rather than black with a spot of yellow), my red and yellow epic eldar, and a promised white Tau 40k army. And loads of colourful daemons and characters for chaos WHFB, plus a start on a WHFB Empire army in red and yellow (again). Can't say I'm not trying.
:p