Login |  Register |  FAQ

Space Marines Vs Orks. Our first game in YEARS

Post subject: Space Marines Vs Orks. Our first game in YEARS
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I thought I might take a few shots of the first game of SM I've played in over 16 years. (I have to admit, when I took these photos it wasn't really with a batrep in mind, so there are a few gaps in the photo coverage.)

It was 3000 points, my friends spacemarines Vs my orks.

After setting up the table we rolled to pick starting sides, with the space marines taking the building heavy side.
I guess it's about right that the guardians of humanity should be defending the town from the green horde.

Turn 1

The Goffs charged towards the objective in front of the generator vulcanis. Supported by one cards worth of nobs on warbikes.

The Bad Moon gargant, braincrushers, and freebooters claimed the objective by the ruined abbey.
While the rest of the clan charged into the ork village.
My other squad of nobs on warbikes (here after known as NOWB) charged up the center, with the warbuggies out in front covering them.

The space marines all advanced into buildings, and after a bit of light shooting turn one ended.

I actually had the lead in victory points at this stage. Go orks!

Turn 2

Turn one didn't see many loses on either side, but turn two changed that.

Because of the fact that all the space marines had dashed into cover the only things left for my NOWB and buggies to charge was the squadron of whirlwinds.
And a whole lot of parked rhinos the marines had left outside their buildings.
This proved to be their undoing. Because although they won just about every combat, the sneaky marine landspeeders had snuck up, and riddled them with meltagun fire in the advanced fire stage.

To make matters worse for the orks, the warhound titans gave the badmoonz in the ork village a taste of inferno gun, and vulcan mega-bolter love.
Which stung, and combined with the damage done to the fast units, and some other shooting damage from marine devastors, was enough to break the clan.
And give the marines a healthy helping of victory points.

Other than that, the fight by the generator raged on. And a thunderhawk full of assault marines zoomed in to attack the braincrushers by the abbey. Unfortunatly for them my slasha gargant was still in range to blast them in the advance fire stage. Killing off most of the stands.

The gargant also shot at a juicy building full of devastor marines with a ball round from its gut buster. Only to miss, and demolish the empty building next door. Enough said about that.

Turn two ended with the humans having a nice lead in victory points due to the badmoonz being broken. Fortunatly for me the remaining orks in that clan kept their nerve, and all past their break tests. Funnily enough, the only thing on the whole table to lose its bottle was the surviving whirlwind, which went onto fallback orders. Off to the reclusiam after the battle for the marine in charge of that tank.

Turn 3

After some hard fighting, the goffs and wildboyz finally booted the marines out of the generator vulcanis.
Sorry folks that's my last pic. Like I said, I didn't plan for this to become a full on batrep.

The assault marines jumped into the nearby woods, to avoid the fury of the gargant, freebooterz, and remaining braincrusha. While the thunderhawk flew off, and claimed an objective I'd left open.

Over on the other side of the battle the badmoonz day went from bad to worse, with the warhounds killing even more of them. Including half the shokk attack gunners. Who in revenge snotling sniped a stand of devastor marines from across the table.

At the end of the turn 3 we looked at the clock, and called it. the final score being.

Marines 34 Orks 23

We each had four objectives. But the broken badmoonz clan gave up a big helping of VPs, (one of the perils of the ork clan system) and I was a couple of models away from breaking both marine companies, so I couldn't level the score before we ran out of time.

Dispite the defeat the game was an absolute blast. We had a great time, I can't believe I've let it go so long since I last played this. We have another game chalked in for next weekend, so revenge will be mine.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Space Marines Vs Orks. Our first game in YEARS
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's weird watching Space Marine-style paintjobs in action.

Nice report. :)

Night Lords 0.1
My Trade Thread

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers guys.

A few people who wandered past when we were playing had "those were the days" moments.

Simulated Knave wrote:
It's weird watching Space Marine-style paintjobs in action.

:D Looking back through some old white dwarfs I noticed that things looked brighter and less gritty then. The orks very much so. I'm planing to add a evilsunz, and bloodaxe clan to the army, so it's going to be a case of out with the bright paint again. To make sure they match the rest of the force.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very nice report
old school indeed but lovely

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the nice battle report :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers again guys.

We have a rematch this Sunday, so hopefully the orks will have their revenge.

I've restarted (after a 15 or so year break) work on my ultramarine force. We had a few people without armies show interest on Sunday, and the marines make a good loaner force.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great report. Aaah those were the days when epic lead the way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rastamann wrote:
I also like the big walkers behind the Land Speeders that are being flanked by oversized terminators coming for Sarah Connor! :D

:D

The Brits are for a colonial game I'm putting together. They got usurped from the front of the table by the Ultramarines. I'm vowing to finish them after the marines, and before I let myself start my khornate army.

The three oldskool necrons have been mooching around various places I've painted since the 90s. Any painting table I use wouldn't feel complete without the little dudes watching over things now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice to see the Orks putting the boot in... and the Marines sticking it back in their gobs. :D I like the Abbey ruin terrain peace, nice work.