Login |  Register |  FAQ

The Tau Rules???

Post subject: The Tau Rules???
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all, first post, so be kind. :) Played Epic 40k before (many years ago), but have only recently gotten back into Epic as Epic:A approaches and can't wait!
I've written this list up as a plan for my first Ork army and would appreciate any comments. I've looked through previous posts and think I've got a good selection of troops to keep things interesting. I've also only played a few trial games with some old models that my brother had threatened to throw away (over 500 stands of Orks, SM, Eldar and Chaos!), so I am looking to create a force that will be fun to play as a priority. I am also planning on making a feral ork army sometime soon too (to reflect my 40k army), but with the Epic:A release schedule not looking kind for Feral Orks, I'll put this on the back burner for now. Anyway, any comments welcome.

Thanks in advance. Duncan. :cool:

5000 Point Ork Army

BLOOD AXES - 1575 points

Big Warband +8 Battlewagons (630)
Stormboyz Warhorde +2 Stormboyz +5 Dethkoptas (375)
Big Blitz Brigade +2 Gunfortresses +Oddboy (570)

GOFFS - 1685 points

Big Blitz Brigade (250)
Big Mekboy Gunzmob +Oddboy +Nobz (310)
Mekboy Stompamob +1 SupaStompa (475)
Gargant (650)

EVIL SUNZ - 1720 points

Big Warband +5 Gunwagonz +3 Flakwagonz +4 Battlewagons (770)
Fighta Skwadron +2 Fighta Bommers (250)
Big KOS (12 Bikes, 4 Scorchas) (350)
Big KOS (12 Buggies, 4 Scorchas) (350)

Total: 4980 points.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Duncan, welcome to the forums.

The list looks nice, but there are a lot of big formations.  Though its hard not  to do that with Orks  :D

The Blood Axes look fine to me.

For the Goffs, I would try to fit in another Nob in the gunz mob, and some extra units in the stompa mob.  A couple of kanz and/or dreads to take supression/hits.

The evil sunz warband will be quite large.  The KoS are fine though.  About the right split between buggies and scorchas.

If you can, two formations of fighta bombas might be better, but I admit to not having used flyers in a game yet.  I want to make sure me (and the guy I'm teaching) know the basic rules inside out first.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:00 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

General rule: ?if it's over 500 points, you probably need to look at splitting it up. ?You will find that having more than a few large formations like that will significantly lessen your tactical flexibility. ?Personally, I try to keep my average formation size under 400 points.

I would recommend keeping 5-6 fighta-bommerz per formation. ?It makes them effective even in the face of significant flak and interception.

There's also another current Ork List thread to check out, and iirc, there was one in the mini painting thread also.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi, thanks for the advice guys.

I must admit that the ES warband was the section I was concerned with the most too. Putting them all in Battlewagons instead of Gun/flakwagonz will keep them mobile, but reduce their points to 630, freeing up more points to amend the other units. I will add four Killa Kans to the stompamob to take early hits (if they make it to combat, all the better!) The Gunzmob can be split from a single big formation into two normal sized units, each with a Nobz, and one with an Oddboy added. I won't alter the flyers yet until I get a bit more experience with them though.

New Ork Army List

Blood Axes - 1575 points (unchanged from above)

Goffs - 1845 points

Big Blitz Brigade (250)
Mekboy Gunzmob +Oddboy +Nobz (210)
Mekboy Gunzmob +Nobz (160)
Mekboy Stompamob +Supastompa +4 Killakans (575)
Gargant (650)

Evil Sunz - 1580 points

Big Warband +8 Battlewagons (630)
Fighta Skwadron +2 Fighta Bommers (250)
Big KOS (12 Bikes, 4 Scorchas) (350)
Big KOS (12 Buggies, 4 Scorchas) (350)

Total = 5000 points. ?:cool:

The list looks better like this and should allow for easy dissection when I want to fight smaller battles. Does it look better to you now? Any other details worrying anyone? ????

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:44 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Okay, I know I just said to reduce some mob sizes, but breaking up Big Gunz is not a good way to do it.

They are a fairly fragile formation, and lack the mob up bonuses that most ork units receive.  Because of that, they need every advantage they can get to counteract BMs.  I highly recommend not fielding them any smaller than a Big formation and putting the maximum number of nobz with them.

BTW, a lot of people miss the fact that larger mobz can have more of the restricted upgrades.  I noticed none of your Big or Uge mobz had more than 1.  They are allowed double or triple the number, so for a 0-1 restricted upgrade you can have 0-2 in a Big mob or 0-3 in a Uge mob.

In this case, a Big gunzmob could have up to 2 nobz.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Damn that rule. The number of *flippin'* times I've forgotten about that is unbelieveable! I sat looking at the list wondering how to get two Nobz into the Gunzmob for ages with just a blank look on my face! Argh! I suppose it's just a thing you get used to after a while... ????

Thanks Neal. I was worried about splitting them too, but thought it might be ok. :cool: ?Ok, Putting the two Mekboy Gunzmobs back together saves me the points to get a second Nobz in there, and leaves 25 points left. This I could either put into another Stormboy for the SBWarhorde (taking it to 9 - could be useful), or another Killakan or Big Gunz in their respective formations. No other changes to list, so won't retype it yet. :)

Btw I ordered a whole load of FW Battlewagons today in order to start some convershuns for my battle/gunz/flakwagons! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:47 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

He guys,

We me and my friend swapped armies for a Epic:Armageddon game.

Well I'm glad I'm the imprial players.  Those pesky Humies have lost of fire power.  It's hard to get into close combat.  

In the end I lost.  It game down to one roll.  If I won the strategy phase two full warbands charge into close combat, , I even had the warboss in position.  If I lose I suffer the sustained of over half the Imperial army.  

Well Guess what happen...  :p

I was hoping the orks would do better they only have two victories in our games of Epic.

I definitely encouraging the use of an Orc lander with a upsized Stormboyz unit.

Any other ideas that work?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

we had 6 or 7 games orks against ig and the ig only came out winning once. The following things were quite effective:

1) Fightabommas, typically our Ork player has 2 squadrons a 5 fightabommas. They have  a good chance of disrupting IG artillery batteries or at driving away the rough rider screen of the artillery or tank companies in a single action.

2) Mobile warbands. Battle/Gunfortress plus some battlewagonz or gunwagonz to deliver a warband with some extra nobz, boyz and gretchin.
Using a march action on the first turn you should be able to bring them into charge range in the first turn (deployment 15 on table + 90cm move + 5cm loading out troops = 110cm). The gretchin screen and hiding behind the battlefortress (warengines block los) helps surviving the one or two rounds of punishment, the nobz help removing the blast markers.
My opponent (Mark) typically uses gretchin in the first, then boys and then nobz in the third line to protect the nobz. I typically mix in some nobz in the first and second line to use the save against enemy fire and to increase the chance of getting them into close-combat.
You could add some stormboyz to the mob, with their 30cm move they don't even need a transport vehicle and increase your charge range. Dont forget you can charge the battlefortress into the enemy and push troops aside. You should see that it is in cc as you can then assign the first hits to the battlefortress and hope for the saving throws.

3) Deth-Koptas
good gun (for an ork), skimmer, fast, acceptable saving throw, very disruptive
prefer them very much to gunwagonz

4) Stompa mob with Soopastompa (how whats the exact name):
great firepower but because it is so slow you can usually not really fire before the second or third turn. But this mob usually draws unproportionally high attention from e.g. the leman russ companies and can sustain 3 turns of punishment from one leman russ company (if they stay at range > 60cm, if they don't, they risk a 6 barrage point macro weapon attack).

not effective:
we had a nice looking stormboyz mob with 2 skorchas in almost all ork games, they never did any damage and were killed/broken very early. but at least they drew some attention to themselves

warbands on foot -> simply to slow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I try to give all my Epic forces some sort of transport ... I'm biased when it comes to Mech forces ...   :;):

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:44 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Thanks Guys,

I'll pass it on.  I have a huge respect for fighter bombas. I couldn't believe how effective my Hydras where against ME.

Those bastrads  :p

Just because I shot their commanding officer for cowardice they have a gudge against you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well ... that is a leadership technique ... it worked well for the Russians !  :o

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,

Is there anything to be gained by declaring the clan the formations belong to? I'm not sure if I missed something or not.

Regards,

Furgie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (furgie @ 26 2004 Jan.,14:03)
Hi all,

Is there anything to be gained by declaring the clan the formations belong to? I'm not sure if I missed something or not.

Regards,

Furgie

No, at the moment its just a generic Ork army list & the mention of clans is purely down to aethstetics (or however you spell that..... :-: ) & the colour schemes used.

http://hobbybrush.blogspot.com - My Hobby Blog
TuffSkull's notepad- My Old Blog on Wargames Wiki.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (TuffSkull @ 26 2004 Jan.,14:37)
No, at the moment its just a generic Ork army list & the mention of clans is purely down to aethstetics (or however you spell that..... :-: ) & the colour schemes used.

Agreed, Tuffskull, but for purists, players interested in Kult of Speed armies should tend to Evil Sunz, and those with a Feral Ork predilection, to Snakebites. I plan a future kult of speed army, but this will include my Eklips boyz, a sort of Sunz-working for Moonz hybrid.  :p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm with you Enginseer V, but I don't have any KOS or Eklipz Boys, but I like the idea !   :;):