Login |  Register |  FAQ

Which Necron army list do you prefer for NetEpic Gold?
Slann/Necron list from NetEpic 5.2 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Stephanes Necron list 58%  58%  [ 11 ]
A hybrid, like the slann/Necron list updated with Stephanes units. 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
Other (Please explain below) 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

Official Necron Army Book for NetEpic Gold

Post subject: Re: Official Necron Army Book for NetEpic Gold
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I ended up having a look over the lists after over a cup of coffee. I've played lots of SM/TL but not Net-Epic, but I know a lot about Necrons.

Mostly I prefer Stephane's list it as it a has a number of units the existing list is missing. With decent background and proxies for most of them it would be a shame not to include them.

Crucially I notice the existing list does Monoliths all wrong - they're not transports in the traditional sense at all, but portals to somewhere else. Blow a Monolith out of the sky and no Necrons are inside it to be harmed, they'll just emerge from a different portal instead. It's also characteristic for the Necrons for their units to be able to move through multiple portals during a game to disappear and reappear where needed. Stephane's list allows for this but the existing list doesn't and the existing rules should be changed IMO.

On the other hand Stephane's list gives Pylons a 10cm charge move and +6 CAF, both of which seem wrong for the unit - it being imobile and 0 CAF as in the existing list matches how the unit should be.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Warmaster Nice wrote:
Lol. Honestly, at this stage it is not too much of a problem to move things to seperate books The Necron section of the Slann book is so small that it wouldn't take that long. My main concern is that the current Slann/NEcron book is thorroughly playtested, and Stephanes list is fairly new. A fusion of the two would be equally new. It'd be a shame to change things only to find that the new Gold book is wildly unbalanced.
However I also feel that it would be really nice to have stuff like Obelisks, Heavy Destroyers, Warbarques etc. in there as nice proxies exist or are easily convertable.

But again: I'm not very rules savvy, so I'll leave it to smarter people to figure out the best way to do this ;)

Obelisks and Heavy Destroyers are in the 5.2 list. The Monoliths use a combination of the existing teleport and transport rules to provide roughly the same net effect as a portal without having to introduce new special rules. We did talk about adopting the rules for the Eldar Warp gates but it seemed too clunky.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How long has it been since either list was touched?

From the look of the votes, it seems that the majority feel that the official list is lacking in some areas, while the Stephane list needs tweaking.

Further, it seems to me that neither list accounts for newer developments - for example, the tomb stalker is now the name for the millipede-like construct released by forgeworld, and in the apocalypse rules, 3 monoliths in a triangle formation create a "night shroud" and "nodal grid" between them. Things like this would be cool to see, and imo easy to produce on the table.

Lastly, a new necron book is on the horizon which will sport all sorts of new options and units for this force.

In conclusion - I say the best course of action is to hold off on the release of this book entirely. It is clear from the votes and current discussion that a new "official" playtest book is needed. I would also suggest waiting on the 40k release of the new necron book to see what it might offer the NetEpic community.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

zap123 wrote:
Warmaster Nice wrote:
The Monoliths use a combination of the existing teleport and transport rules to provide roughly the same net effect as a portal without having to introduce new special rules. We did talk about adopting the rules for the Eldar Warp gates but it seemed too clunky.

Is the teleport ability transferable to the units inside or something and they 'teleport' in later seperately when they wish to leave? Otherwise it's not really the same.

I realise the Monolith itself is able to teleport, but, if once on the battlefield it just functions as troop transport and destroying it kills Necrons transported by it, then that's really not how a Monolith is meant to work (apologies if I am misunderstanding how the rules are working). The portals required a special rule in EpicA but it's a core mechanic for the army that has a huge impact on the tactics and manoeuvres of how they play.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Try to think of the Necron "transported" units as being in reserve and the "transport" monoliths as deployment points for reserve Necron units to appear from. Destruction of the Monolith should have no effect on reserves other than denying them a point of entry to deploy from.

There, the description of the rule is fixed and everyone understands. Not so clunky. ;) all in time for beer and bacon sandwiches! Huzzah!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To answer Deacon's question, the list was probably refreshed about 18 months ago. It would be easy enough to change the names of formations to represent the newer Apocolypse terminology. The quest to keep pace with GW's ever changing names/fluff/mechanics has to stop at some point however.

As someone who actively plays Necrons in NetEpic now I don't particularly want to hold off on anything. I'm also pretty sure WMN and others will be keen for the "Goldification" process to end sometime soon.

I think we should continue with the Necrons embedded in the Slann book to keep things moving. If people have specific suggestions to tweak the official 5.2 Necron list we can discuss them and see if inclusion in the current book is an option, or whether they need to be added to the optionals book as is the process being followed for the other lists in Gold format. Created units that are not GW cannon like Warbarques and Abatoirs would fall in the Optionals category.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Warhead wrote:
Try to think of the Necron "transported" units as being in reserve and the "transport" monoliths as deployment points for reserve Necron units to appear from. Destruction of the Monolith should have no effect on reserves other than denying them a point of entry to deploy from.

There, the description of the rule is fixed and everyone understands. Not so clunky. ;) all in time for beer and bacon sandwiches! Huzzah!

I think the reality in NetEpic games is transports rarely carry around their cargo for any length of time anyway, you want them out on the board ASAP. However, giving detachments of Necron infantry the ability to teleport, with a Monolith counting as the arrival point of the first model would work and not require new rules. Easy enough to also add an army card of three Monoliths and call it a Night Shroud.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

After reading through both list
I drift towards a seperate Stephane´s list

Let those Lizards their own Codex :D
It´s a nice Army

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Zap: I like the Night Shroud card idea. Now I have to go off and re-read the Necron Codex to remember what the hell it is again. :D

I suppose it could be argued that any reserve Necron units unable to be deployed still count towards destroyed units on a detachment/company card for VP, the reason being just like units withdrawn from the board they are taken out of play. This justifies their VP being awarded to the enemy IMO.

I think it needs to be briefly mentioned in the rules that destroying the Monolith "Entry Point" doesn't kill the "transported" stands and that these stands may use ANY "Entry Point" available to the Necron Player to deploy from like teleport but only one detachment per any one Entry Point is allowed per turn. (Or something along those lines).

On a divergent point: The Slann models, I know there are proxy units mentioned in the old rules but could a thread be created in NetEpic with links to them please? Does any lucky bugger own one of these armies?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I do :D

I have used Mechwarrior CMG infantry for the battlesuits, GZG 28mm Stargrunt power armour for the knight class units and Mechwarrior CMG Mechs for the Titans. Some pics can be found here:

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/ ... tos/slann/

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey guys. I'm aiming to finish the NetEpic Gold project this summer, so we kind of need a closure on this. :)

Although the poll shows that a lot of people would like a revised necron list, the stuff that is being put into the Gold format will be the existing book, unless someone steps up and compiles a new Necron codex ;)

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Works for me chap, there isn't enough time to playtest any new lists.

Tried and tested is the way forwards.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Stick with the Necron list in the Slann book so we can get it out quicker. I'll email you the couple of changes suggested in thread.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Leave the original (and extensively playtested material) as is with whatever changes Zap suggests.

In the future, if people want an alternate list they are more than welcome to compile it and I'll make sure it gets the "gold" treatment at some point.

Primarch

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool.

I'll just finish the remining two books as they are then. In the meantime here's a little Necron Teaser...

Attachments:
slannnecron.jpg
slannnecron.jpg [ 138.9 KiB | Viewed 2312 times ]

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/