Login |  Register |  FAQ

Kindle VS Nook

Post subject: Kindle VS Nook
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Gamers!

I've been thinking for along time about getting a Ebook Reader. The main thing that put me off was the inability to read my Black Library books in a Ebook format. Now since BL/GW has fixed that issue, I have less of a reason not to buy one. My wife propose that I get one, so she could throw away all my books. I said I would agree to that if I can re-buy all my books before we got rid of them. She consented to that agreement even after looking at the prices.

So I've been looking at the Kindle and Nook tonight online(I know how dare I not be painting or posting or playing or list building.) and I can't seem to decided on one. It seems both have fixed their PDF reading abilities so I can carry my Epic list and rules with me ::)

With the Nook I can go and sit in a B&N and browse and their website is cleaner, so I assume their books buy thing on the nook is. While the Kindle website(Amazon) is very clutter and annoys me, but does the Kindle itself acts like that or is the buy app better?

I ask you nice gamers to give me your opinion if or if you don't own a Ebook Reader....

Thanks!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Kindle VS Nook
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I own a kindle and I like it a lot. I also have an ipad but reading books on the kindle is much easier on the eyes.

The kindle is quite slow with big pdf's or graphic intensive ones (I downloaded Deathwatch the rpg as a pdf and the kindle struggles with that). Getting pdf's to it is easy either by docking it to a pc or emailing them to the device (just don't do this over 3G as you are charged per Mb for that).

Can't comment on the Nook, never seen one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm a kindle fan, Amazon integration rocks :D. I use it to catch up on news and read documents on the tube. I read fiction with it when i'm home.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Kindle is awesome for reading books, and functional for PDFs. By using landscape and fit to width most PDFs are readable, but some (like the Epic core rules, unfortunatly) are sssllllooooow, on my Kindle at least. NetEA PDFs and the smaller PDFs work fine. If I had more money I would have bought some kind of Pad for carrying PDFs around.

I got no experience with the Nook, but I do know that the most interesting feature (lending books to other Nook owners) is nerfed to hell and unavailable on half the books you buy anyway. Kindle's got nothing like that of course, so it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I love my Kindle. it is very easy on the eyes, since it isnt backlit. It is light and battery life is VERY good. I have no experience with the nook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:46 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Ulrik wrote:
...but some (like the Epic core rules, unfortunatly) are sssllllooooow...

Have you tried optimizing it by reducing the image quality? I got my copy of the core rules down to 2.8M from 6.2M using ghostscript. Much faster on my ageing laptop.

Code:
gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=<output>.pdf <input>.pdf

Armyforge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That helped quite a bit, thanks. It's still slow, but it's a lot more usable now.

But damn, Ghostscript was a bitch to figure out...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the great info on the Kindle. Wish some people here had a Nook tho, lol!

How is booking buying process for the Kindle? And also has anyone bought BL books and tried them on there?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You can either buy books via amazon's webpage, or directly on the kindle. If you know the title it's a simple search to find it, but you can also browse (I usually prefer to browse the books on regular internet). Then you click the "buy" button and it downloads in a minute or two. You need to have given them credit card details, but you'll have to do that to buy the kindle in the first place.

Buying from places with no drm is a bit more complicated, but still very simple. You can either email them to your kindle (I don't, because it costs a couple of dollars for international customers AFAIK) or you can connect the kindle to the computer and move the files that way (windows treats it as a usb drive). Baen books has a service where they email books directly to your kindle when you buy it, if you want to.

Finally, you'll want to download Calibre. You can use it to manage your books, but it's also excellent for converting files to kindle-readable formats.

Haven't tried BL myself, but reportedly they sell their ebooks in non-DRM mobi format (which is the native kindle format).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've got 2 books from black library and had no issues with them on the kindle. Pretty sure I just docked it and copied the files on, but I may have emailed one of them and retrieved it over wireless.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mephiston wrote:
I've got 2 books from black library and had no issues with them on the kindle. Pretty sure I just docked it and copied the files on, but I may have emailed one of them and retrieved it over wireless.

Good to hear...Got have my BL fix even if there Core games suck now, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You can email books as long as you only connect via wi-fi for free. If you use 3G mobile to get files you will be charged, but as I didn't buy a 3G enabled model I'm fine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mephiston wrote:
You can email books as long as you only connect via wi-fi for free. If you use 3G mobile to get files you will be charged, but as I didn't buy a 3G enabled model I'm fine.

So if I'm home and connected to my network then free but if I used their 3G out and about I get screwed? Eh? Lame sauce!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just go somewhere that offers free wi-fi and your good. Even in the UK it's not that hard to find a free wireless connection you can use. But when you consider you have to buy the BL books from their website and download them, you're going to copy them directly from your pc 99% of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wish BL would get there act together and get more Ebooks....

So really no Nook users eh? Huh...