Login |  Register |  FAQ

Buyer Beware - Shipping Costs on eBay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: Buyer Beware - Shipping Costs on eBay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Check out some of these Epic items on eBay ... A couple of enterprising sons-of a Ferengi, are listing Epic items very cheaply, like .99 GBP or $0.99 ... And then charging outragous postage !!! :o The one bloke from the UK, whether it's 5 figures or 50, he charges 8.00 GBPs (@ $14.50 US !!!!!). And he has the stones to mention in the description, if you don't like what I'm charging for post, don't buy it ! :-\ Another guy from the US is charging $0.99 for an Eldar Titan and over $14 USD post. Now I'm a fan of making a little profit, but I thought that charging outragous prices for Shipping on eBay was unacceptable. Sorry to go on a bit of a rant, but this kind of thing is just bad for us in the Epic community. And I see these vermin, like war-profiters. So just my 2 cents ... ;D http://toys.shop.ebay.com/Warhammer-/31 ... 86.c0.m283

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Buyer Beware - Shipping Costs on eBay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmm the Eldar Titan showed up as 4 USD to post to the US.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You can accuse somebody I beleive of being fraudlulent if after delivery the costs clearly didn't match what you go?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rant on. It irritates me, too. I have no problem with a seller wanting to cover the cost of postage and materials, but $14 is a ridiculous amount to charge when the flat rate is around $4.50.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:41 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

People who refuse to combine postage, but then send all lots in one package anyway. >:(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

carlos wrote:
Hmm the Eldar Titan showed up as 4 USD to post to the US.

This Titan is the expensive one - http://cgi.ebay.com/Eldar-Warlock-Titan ... 3cb0fc8871 While this one is very reasonable - http://cgi.ebay.com/Warlock-Titan-Eldar ... 2eb010a0ab As is this one - same guy I think - http://cgi.ebay.com/Warlock-Titan-Eldar ... 2eb00afec5

Last edited by Legion 4 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
People who refuse to combine postage, but then send all lots in one package anyway. >:(

I hate that, too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:49 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

While the 8GBP shipping guy might have ridiculous shipping prices my guess is he's been burned before (that's furthered by him not shipping to Italy too :P).

PayPal and eBay usually side with the buyer when "things aren't delivered" unless the seller protects themselves with a signed for delivery option, hence the 8GBP shipping. A receipt doesn't cut it.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Understand ... but 8GBP is excessive regardless ... Of course the easy answer is don't buy from this guy, which I won't ... But it still sounds like he's taking advantage a bit ... So I guress it still holds true today - "Let the Buyer Beware" ... ::)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:16 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

My UK ebay postage to the USA (almost)always includes £4+ of tracking/insurance (often considerably more for anything £100+ish). This means that even a medium sized lot can easily be £7+ to the US. I recently shipped a FW 40k manticore turret to someone in the US with £8 postage, it is insane, but it is ebay's fault.

It is entirely due to ebay/paypal siding with anyone who claims items have not arrived (but then i something i won ever failed to arrive and i was not shown an addressed receipt i would try to claim the money back as well). I sold some stuff on ebay recently, the basic price international postage i calculated was horrendous, i almost just disabled international bids due to it, but then reasoned that if someone in the states was prepared to pay the postage i would ship it, if not they could just decided not to bid. I have never purchased anything on ebay from overseas...the domestic postage is usaully enough of a rip-off as it is ;D

In the UK royal mail will not put the address on the receipt (printed) unless it is air sure/signed for.

the other thing annoying me is not being able to give the person who never paid for an item negative feedback...Dispute resolved in my favour, item relisted and sold to a non-moron and ebay will still only let me give positive feedback...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

the $14 p+p titan seller is probably just doing the "scam eBay of it's final value fees" trick that was all the rage before eBay brought in detailed feedback for shipping/ communication etc. You end up paying the same, but eBay gets less. One thing to remember as well, is that sellers get charged fees on both selling stuff (to eBay) and receiving funds (to Paypal, oops, eBay again) and the fees on the Paypal transaction is on the total, including postage. Plus, there's the time and in some cases material costs. It isn't just "the flat rate box costs 'x' therefore anything more is a ripoff". I usually charge cost + 50c-$1 for everything else.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Also remember international shipments have gone up. Think about what it is costing me to send a 60 page book to England: Epic Siege is $9.50! A year and a half ago it cost twelve bucks to ship Raiders to the UK. Now it is $14.50 (and I think I am going to take a loss on that too since I measured out the weight of the old book instead of the new one, but I digress).

I honestly think a lot of people just don't know how much shipping is going to cost so they estimate high so they don't take a bath. It also gives them a chance to buy tracking and insurance for those times when you just get a funny feeling that the buyer is going to screw you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moscovian wrote:
Also remember international shipments have gone up. Think about what it is costing me to send a 60 page book to England: Epic Siege is $9.50! A year and a half ago it cost twelve bucks to ship Raiders to the UK. Now it is $14.50 (and I think I am going to take a loss on that too since I measured out the weight of the old book instead of the new one, but I digress).

I honestly think a lot of people just don't know how much shipping is going to cost so they estimate high so they don't take a bath. It also gives them a chance to buy tracking and insurance for those times when you just get a funny feeling that the buyer is going to screw you.

Are you telling me you don't get some free or reduce rate to FedEx stuff across the pond??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Of course I do, but being this is for a non-profit business (mine) I cannot use my discount. I know this for certain because I've investigated employees' shipping practices for abusing them in just that fashion.

It isn't good when Security breaks the rules. Somebody is always watching the Watchmen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moscovian wrote:
Somebody is always watching the Watchmen.

who? Surely you know who they are, so you can buy them a crate of beer every so often, right?