Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next

ToEG: Helge's Log

Post subject: Re: ToEG: Helge's Log
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They look fantastic! First time I ever liked those Trolls and Minotaurs I think! :P

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A minor distraction... I have started planning work for an Epic city board. I will be using this page as a running diary of my efforts (so that it becomes a tutorial for others at the end).
http://wargamingworkshop.wordpress.com/ ... epic-city/

I will post this in the terrain sub-forum once there is actually some terrain being build :).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am making slow progress with the Khorne Daemon Engines. The Cannons of Khorne were the test models for the paint scheme and I am torn between adding green as an accent colour or not. Right now the default scheme is bone for the skulls, red for surfaces and brass for metal (with dark steel for "fighting parts" like gun barrels, buzz saws, etc). This occassionally leaves small detail features that don't have an obvious colour assignment. Like the masks on the cannons. The options for these are either to do them in red or brass to blend in, or to add an accent in green. I have used green accents in my other Khorne models occassionally (e.g. daemon prince, defiler, etc.). Below is a crude photoshop how the masks would look in either colour option.

The non-photoshopped green would look more like this:

Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No to green is my view.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't really like green either - too GW "Red Period" for my tastes.

You could try a black highlighted with a little teal? It gives it a different colour that just plain black/grey, but doesn't stand out too much from the scheme.

I like P3 Coal Black for this sort of work, but a 50:50 Hawk Turquoise:Chaos Black mix will probably be a good start as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

how about just more bone?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Progress at last. I am grinding away on the Khornate Daemon Engines and they are extremely time consuming (lots of detail but very old badly cast models so just the prep work took days). I now have a prototype paint scheme for most model types with some questions left. Everything is here:
http://wargamingworkshop.wordpress.com/2010/09/18/epic-daemon-engine-tutorial/

I went with Major_Gilbear's suggestion of a black/teal face. I think it looks ok. Thanks Major!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All looking good: My LatD are all Khorne nutters as well!
Got any ideas what you'll be doing for zombies?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You're welcome Helge, glad the suggestion was helpful to you!

As for the other issues in you blog, I have some answers for you:

1) Don't dremel out the big guns on these sorts of old models. As you noted, they are never round anyway and it just ends up looking odd. Instead, I make sure the area is nice and flat, and I glue a piece of plasticard (either a cut-out circle, or a piece of rod, or a piece of tubing - it just needs to be circular and about 1.5mm thick) onto it. Then I drill out the plasticard to the required diameter, and finally a drop a tiny piece of putty into the bore and smooth it around. The smoothing of the bore with a little putty helps to graduate the rim into the 'black' hole of the bore when you paint it, and helps to give the impression of more depth than there really is. You can see what sort of effects this give in my Squat TOEG blog here. This also has two other advantages; it helps add a little more detail to often plain areas to these old models, and it can be used to reduce the bore to a more reasonable size in some cases too.

2) The cannon rims (if you do something similar to (1) above) would look good in brass or silver, especially if you use a blue and brown ink mix to discolour the metal a little (the ink mix helps make things look heat-tarnished).

3) I would raise the rim a little on the Cauldrons in the same way as the Cannon barrels. And I'd just do a few layers of good gloss varnish rather than use water effects - they are fiddly to use and often go wrong. Even when they go right, the stuff can shrink a little which leaves a notable concave meniscus.

4) I like the Brass Scorpion, but I'd probably have done the big tail cable in a blue-black rather than the green, as I think it puts too much green on the model overall for my tastes.

I do love these old models though (and I sympathise with the clean up that they require!), and I think you've done a fantastic job with them - I especially like the skulls (which always give me trouble!) :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am looking at painting the Cannons of Khorne next, and looking at the model, I can really appreciate the dilemma you have gone through to get them to the state that you have.

It's a balance of not too many colours and looking mean and nasty. No idea how I am going to do mine... :(

I can really appreciate the preparation work you did on yours. The casting on mine are terrible with mould lines. Heck, they may even be recasts! :P

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Major_Gilbear wrote:
You're welcome Helge, glad the suggestion was helpful to you!

As for the other issues in you blog, I have some answers for you:

1) Don't dremel out the big guns on these sorts of old models. As you noted, they are never round anyway and it just ends up looking odd. Instead, I make sure the area is nice and flat, and I glue a piece of plasticard (either a cut-out circle, or a piece of rod, or a piece of tubing - it just needs to be circular and about 1.5mm thick) onto it. Then I drill out the plasticard to the required diameter, and finally a drop a tiny piece of putty into the bore and smooth it around. The smoothing of the bore with a little putty helps to graduate the rim into the 'black' hole of the bore when you paint it, and helps to give the impression of more depth than there really is. You can see what sort of effects this give in my Squat TOEG blog here. This also has two other advantages; it helps add a little more detail to often plain areas to these old models, and it can be used to reduce the bore to a more reasonable size in some cases too.

Great suggestion. In progress now. I will do the rims in bluish steel and see how it looks.

Quote:
4) I like the Brass Scorpion, but I'd probably have done the big tail cable in a blue-black rather than the green, as I think it puts too much green on the model overall for my tastes.

I guess my wargaming age is showing. Red, brass and green where the Khorne colours in the early days so that combination has become ingrained in my mind. Apart from the Epic Black Legion and LatD, I have a BFG fleet and a ~300 models 40k World Eater army in that scheme. I am 100% brainwashed :)

Mold lines on these models were definitely a nightmare. In same cases it felt like the entire model with shifted by a millimeter or so (along the line). I had to shave off some of the skulls, "align" their two halves and then glue the combined skull back on the model. It's definitely not perfect but it some point I just hit my pain threshold...

I have put up some Nurgle wip for comments:
http://wargamingworkshop.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/toeg-more-questions/

Further progress on the Slaneesh host has stalled because my jar of Tentacle Pink finally ran out... To my dismay I found that GW doesn't make that colour anymore. I order a bunch of different Vallejo and P3 pinks. Hopefully one of them is a close enough match.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I am probably of a similar 'vintage', but even back then I felt that too much green interfered with the overall scheme. I guess I always liked schemes that were quite tight, and not a riot of colours! :P

Mix a little Warlock Purple with Skull white - it gives a pretty close match to Tentacle pink! ;)

I like the Spawn on the right, but the left one looks a bit too funky for my tastes! The Altar has some very nice weathering; lovely and rusty.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The end of the month is drawing near and it will be tight again. Well, not really tight in terms of points since the Khorne Big Mutants from early in the month already bring me over the 500 points hurdle. But I am trying to get everything LatD that I started this month finished before the end of the 30th. Right now that means:

Nurgle Spawns (2, 50pts): finished except eyes
Nurgle Altar (1, 150pts): finished
Nurgle Daemon Prince (1, 50pts): finished
Khorne Big Mutants (18, 660pts: finished
Khorne Daemon Engines (15, 1500pts): almost done... finishing touches remain
Khorne Cannons (4, 200pts): finished
Slaneesh Cultists (24, 400pts): half-way done

Grass onto all models painted in August and September: finished, except the Slaneesh Cultists
Basing of all remaining LatD models: sand glued on during marathon session on the weekend, waiting for good weather to spray prime

So... a bit more furious work ahead of me in the next two days. A total of 2960pts are possible for September, let's see how much of it actually gets finished on time. I will post pics of the finished stuff on the 30th.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's a few minutes before midnight and I am done for September. Managed a total of just over 3500 points for the Lost and the Damned. Full update is here:

http://wargamingworkshop.wordpress.com/ ... er-update/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next