Login |  Register |  FAQ

chaosification-is that a real word?

Post subject: chaosification-is that a real word?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can anyone give me some advice regarding "chaosifying" regular guard and spacemarine vehicles, especially for LatD? Are there any bits that work well for basilisks, leman russes etc? The 40k ones tend to look bad on anything smaller than a titan. Is there such a thing as epic brass etch?

I don't think that I could pull off a greenstuff 8 point star at epic scale. I'm also not a big fan of the giant demonic head on the front of a rhino theme (no offense to those that like it, it's just not to my tastes).

C.J.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: chaosification-is that a real word?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think it might help if you could define what style you're after exactly? Is it just a general 'Spikey' undivided theme you want?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:02 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

The spiky dozer bits from the front of plastic E:40k whirlwinds make good epic scale spike racks. I also have a pack of fretsaw blades to use as very fine spikes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was thinking about 8 pointed stars, like the ones i've seen on non-ordered nashorns. Spikes are also good, and chains, and crucified enemies etc. All the stuff that I can do easily at 40k scale with bits- thanks for the advice on the whirlwind spikes, that's the kind of info that really helps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some ideas:

* You can buy very fine metal chain that is around the same size on the epic models as the chunky plastic chain on the W40k models. It's a little harder to stick down but you can have it exactly where you want it.
* Spikes can be made of plastic or metal rod, possible sharpened to a point. You could probably drill a sequence of holes in the top of the tank, glue metal spikes in that are also going through a long thin rectangle of cut plasticard so they look a lot like the spikey bits on the W40k ones. You could even cut off, drill through and include heads from epic models on them, though then you're getting really fiddly.
* Bodies are tricker to do an get right, but should be doable. You'd have to select a model that could be converted to look dead, either by bending it if it's metal or by cutting and gluing if it's plastic.
* Skaven throwing stars can make good spikey blades I find.
* Parts from chaos models in 40k and Warhammer occasionally have small scale chaos stars that could be carefully cut out and glue on. Otherwise perhaps a green-stuff press mould could be made of a star and used to apply a star where you wanted this? - Apocolocyntosis uses this technique whereas I haven't (yet) so he should be able advise if it's possible and give you tips.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:53 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

GlynG wrote:
Otherwise perhaps a green-stuff press mould could be made of a star and used to apply a star where you wanted this? - Apocolocyntosis uses this technique whereas I haven't (yet) so he should be able advise if it's possible and give you tips.

I made a press mould detailed chaos rhino about a year ago, pretty simple and one of the very first things i did with press moulding ( got a bit better since with more experience, this one looks rather tatty :( )

Just took some pics of it next to a NON

And the LRs with whirlwind spike racks, fretsaw blades, and spikes form plastic lizardman clubs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Similar to what GlynnG wrote, If you don't mind sifting through your local hobby store's bitz box, the small blades and spikes you may find in there work rather well. I chaosified some E40k land raiders with some blades/teeth - I think they were dark eldar bitz (40K or Warhammer, I'm not sure). The look kind of like tiny shark's fins.
+1 on the dozer blades. There are some that look like full-on bulldozer blades with curvy spikes on the front. Clip off those spikes and those would make pretty good CCS (my acronym for "Crazy Chaos Sh*t")

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice !!! Very Nice !!!!