Login |  Register |  FAQ

Legio Ignatum (Fire Wasps) - Some Questions?

Post subject: Legio Ignatum (Fire Wasps) - Some Questions?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know that Legio Ignatum (the Fire Wasps) are based on Mars, and that their old colour scheme was camo carapace and red+black body and limbs, before the newer revised scheme of red limbs with yellow and black fuzzy-striped carapace/greaves came about. But I had some questions, and was hoping that you guys might be able to help me out (again!).

1) I know that some Forge Worlds have more than one Legio... Does Mars have more than one, and if so, what are they called?

2) Were there any particular traits that the Legio Ignatum had besides being the eldest Legio? (For example, the Legio Destructor has sonic amps fitted to its Titans, is the most numerous and favours short-ranged assault and CC weapon fits more than is usual).

3) I think one of their notable honours is that as well as defending the Emperor's palace during the Heresy, they are the only Legio that has Titans that personally guard the Golden Gate - do they have any others?

4) Has anyone painted up any titans in either of the two established schemes? ( I think Curis had one on Ninjabread that looked pretty awesome!)

5) Was there any particular reason that the scheme was changed or updated? Anything in the fluff, or comments by 'Eavy Metal at all?

6) Is there much fluff on the Legio Ignatum besides what's in AT and the snippet in TL?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Legio Ignatum (Fire Wasps) - Some Questions?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:30 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

There are two other Legios based on Mars but that information is "classified" as per the TL books. Not sure on the rest of the stuff, nor the changes in color scheme.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:44 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Major_Gilbear wrote:
1) I know that some Forge Worlds have more than one Legio... Does Mars have more than one, and if so, what are they called?

As Dave said, 3 total. As I recall, one is implied to be a psi-titan legio. There was speculation the other was an experimental legion of some kind, but that doesn't really make sense in the 40K background, imho.

Quote:
2) Were there any particular traits that the Legio Ignatum had besides being the eldest Legio? (For example, the Legio Destructor has sonic amps fitted to its Titans, is the most numerous and favours short-ranged assault and CC weapon fits more than is usual).

I don't know of a particular combat doctrine or weapon preference.

Quote:
3) I think one of their notable honours is that as well as defending the Emperor's palace during the Heresy, they are the only Legio that has Titans that personally guard the Golden Gate - do they have any others?

They were the guards of the Emperor's palace, as you noted. They were rivals of Legio Mortis and now hate them based on their conflicts during the Heresy. They fought on both Armageddon3 and the 13th Black Crusade.

Quote:
4) Has anyone painted up any titans in either of the two established schemes? ( I think Curis had one on Ninjabread that looked pretty awesome!)

5) Was there any particular reason that the scheme was changed or updated? Anything in the fluff, or comments by 'Eavy Metal at all?

No clue.

Quote:
6) Is there much fluff on the Legio Ignatum besides what's in AT and the snippet in TL?

Not that I know of. According to Lexicanum, they were in WD179, so there might be a bit of info there. Incidentally, their name is sometimes spelled "Ignatium" in some of the GW materials.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
I have painted a Small Walking Robot as Legio Ignatum.

If you are a fan of the Legio then you really should read "Storm of Iron".

Attachments:
Bild048.jpg
Bild048.jpg [ 74.55 KiB | Viewed 3033 times ]
Bild050.jpg
Bild050.jpg [ 69.09 KiB | Viewed 3033 times ]
Bild044.jpg
Bild044.jpg [ 67.16 KiB | Viewed 3033 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ everyone:

Thanks guys, I'll have a dip into WD179 then.

@ BlackLegion:

Very nic3 models; I see you went for the modern version of the scheme! :)

Is there much about the Legio in Storm of Iron, or do they only get some snippets?

Please keep the info coming guys - I've got enough stuff that I'd like to do an AMTL force based around a loyal Legio (and in the further future, perhaps one based around a Traitor Legio - maybe even Legio Mortis), and Legio Ignatum has always interested me despite there being relatively scant information.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Well..."modern"...it is the TitanLegion/SM2nd era scheme :)

There where several Titans of the Legio Ignatum (a Demi Legio) involved to defend an importand Imperial fortress on Hydra Cordatus. They fought the Legio Mortis (including the DIes Irae!) and get all destroyed but not without earning some glory. I won't spoil any more :) The book itself is a good read and often recommended by BlackLibrary readers :)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Legio_Ignatum

And if you use using Google Translator or understand german:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/wiki/Legio_Ignatum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Although it has nothing to do with Legio Ignatum, I heartily recommend "Titanicus", by Dan Abnett, as required reading for anyone interested in Titans.
Yes, I know, that would probably mean the whole Tac Com community.

The loyalist Legio involved are Legio Tempestus and Legio Invicta though. But, I know I'll base my skitarii on Dan Abnett vision.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Also found this on BellofLostSouls: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2007/08/ ... sheet.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, I was actually thinking about getting "Titanicus" today... So I might pick up both novels now they've been recommended! :)

@ BL :
I did see that, they are the old logos for the Legio Ignatum. The new logo for the Legio is a flaming skull, where the skull is half black and half white (like the Mechanics Symbol).

I still haven't decided which of the two schemes I'd like though! So if anybody else has any pix (especially of Titans with camo carapaces like the very early paint schemes had), please post them up!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well the mainly red with gold trim and camo camouflage i found a bit dull. The black and red limbs and striped carapace looks much more entertaining :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, based on your advice, I've bought 'Titanicus' and 'Storm Of Iron' :).

While I'm on the subject of Legio Ignatum, I suppose I should really ask about their long time enemies: Legio Mortis. I know Onyx did his version of them (including Dies Irae), and that there are some examples in Adeptus Titanicus... Did anyone else ever paint some up?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If i get some un-ordered SMW or MWR or LWR i will paint them as Legio Mortis.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Since I don't own the printed copy of the E:A rulebook, I don't know if the answer is in there... However, can anyone confirm that the current Reaver for sale by SG is in an Ignatum scheme please? If so, that makes it the third version of this scheme I've seen now!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It is. Carl Woodrow painted this model I think, and Tuffskull painted the Warhound titan. Also Legio Ignatum scheme (Haven't checked up on the background but I think the legion is supposed to have been fighting on Armageddon, so it was chosed for the studio army)

Basically flame s and black with some variations, like the stripe pattern and red head. SM2/TL era Codex titanicus has a picture of both Legio Ignatum Reavers and Warhounds and I also remember seeing a really nicely painted reaver on Ninjabread's site:

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

But flames never where a Legio Ignatum motiv despite the Legio's name.