Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

TOEG 09/10/11 - Ceimei's Skitarii

Post subject: TOEG 09/10/11 - Ceimei's Skitarii
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi All,

This will be my contribution to the 2010 Tale of Epic Gamers series. My last contribution in 2009 ended up as a misserable failure as I kept up for the first 2 months only to fall ill with the flu, miss a deadline and then never really catch back up.

This abject failure can be found here

Things are different this time, for a start I'm already ill so things can only get better. Additionaly I'll be setting a more realistic challenge for myself, last time I was attempting ~ 1000 points per month, this time I'm going to settle for completing a 3000 point army ~ 600 points per month.

By Far my biggest problem though is choice, there are so many cool units in the Skitarii list and I really want to squeeze some of everything in. For that reason I've gone with the list below.

Core

Skitarii Demi-Century 300
Light transportation 125

Skitarii Demi-Century 300
Light transportaion 125
tech lord 100

Ordinatus Minors company 450
3 plasma cannons 75

Support

Sentinels 100

Cataphract tank platoon 375

Heavy tank platoon 350

Flak 150

Praetorians 250
Heavy transportation 75

Allies

2 Thunderbolt fighters 150

Total 2925

I've had a go at sqeezing in as much variety as I could but please feel free to critique, plus any ideas on how to re-arrange to use up the remaiing 75 pts would be gratefully accepted

Here are some examples of the colour scheme I will be using. These were painted during the 2009 TOEG. Note that the Stormsword and Manticore units are now illegal under current rules. Click to make bigger

Image Image Image

So here's to what will hopefully be a more successful venture

Last edited by ceimeifukan on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: TOEG10 - Ceimei's Skitarii
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've always loved Ad. Mech. stuff, so I will definitely be interested in seeing what you do with this! Also, can't you count the Stormblades as Ordinatus Minors with Plasma Cannons? (Forgive my ignorance if not - I'm not hugely familiar with the EA lists).

Anyway, I hope you get further this year, and we'll all be here to encourage you! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This will be interesting to watch. I bought some of Kev's Skitarii sculpts for one of those "maybe next decade" type of projects. I look forward to seeing a whole army of them!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Major_Gilbear wrote:
can't you count the Stormblades as Ordinatus Minors with Plasma Cannons?

Very true, but as you'll see I've got some conversions coming up for ordinatus minoris which I'd rather use. Good point though as up until now I thought I'd have to proxy my skits as imp guard to use them.

Helge wrote:
I bought some of Kev's Skitarii sculpts for one of those "maybe next decade" type of projects. I look forward to seeing a whole army of them!

There are a few dotted in amongst my infantry as characters but the majority will be made up of DRM industrial infantry, below is a picture of the scheme I will be using (to date only four stands painted)

I was fairly happy with these until I took some pictures and could see them in their 10MP sloppiness, for better painted versions check out tuffskulls blog for the DRM studio pics.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to do the bases? I can't seem to picture any sort of scheme that would fit the paint scheme?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think that a base should show off the model, and usually I prefer something that stands out a bit in some way without the models blending in too much. Since you've used grey, green and red though, it pretty much only leaves a snowy or tundra base or a light bleached desert base as ones which will set the models off with good contrast.

If you changed the guns to a different colour (like a black with dark blue highlights for example), then a temperate green base (perhaps with a light brown base edge) would look pretty good I reckon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Red, green and white runs the risk of the dreaded 'Christmas Syndrome', though! Are you determined on the green guns? If so, then I'd suggest a medium-toned ashy grey for the bases. If you decide to swap them for black/dark grey guns, then you'd be fine with greeny-browns.

Lookin' forward to seeing them develop. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok so first demi-century almost complete. The grunts are done bar a quick cote of matte varnish all that's left is to paint up my converted tech lord stand. They'll be riding in 5 Chimereas which I already have painted from last years failed attempt.

Image Image

So any opinions on the colour scheme and the bases? They look a little plain to my eyes so I think I might pop down the local hobby shop and look for some rocks or foliage I can add.

Next up is to complete this months Objective, sneak preview below.

So does anybody regularly play the Skitarii list? Any words of wisdom for a novice?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:31 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Infantry look great ;D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice looking Infantery :)

I started an Skitarii army not that long ago and I too use the DRM minis as Skitarii :) They fit very well.
My first lessons were playing this army, that they are fundametally different to Eldar. Ok, not exactly rocket science, but as a long time Eldar player I had to adjust to this very different playstyle. Eldar are fast and fragile. Skittarii are slow, but can take a punch. Furthermore, they rely more on shooting than assaulting. The list feels more like a behemoth, grinding forward and destroying everything on short to medium range. Unlike IG, that pounds you from afar.
Hope this helps to smooth the start with the Skittarii :) Keep ´em goin´ :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good mix of troops !! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers for comments guys.

This will probably be my last update before the weekend as I won't have an oppurtunity to basecoat anything before then. Living in a flat with no access to open spaces has its drawbacks when it comes to spraying models.

As it happens though I had these already basecoated so spent a few hours turning out some counts as sentinels come robots. I did learn one important lesson though which is when using shiny pennies for basing always spray them black first, as from above there are nice shiny patches of bronze shining through the sand :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like these robots. I use my ones as Preatorians. But it is a good idea to use them as sentinels too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

oooh... yes... you are giving me some great idea's for my own skitarii.. btw what are teh current rules? i thought Evil&Chaos's list was current? why are manticore's not legal anymore?

also,, is it themetic to paint them mostly red(the whole army) or could you sneak in some yellow or grey into the scheme as camouflage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Grimgork wrote:
I like these robots. I use my ones as Preatorians. But it is a good idea to use them as sentinels too.

I was also going to use these as praetorians but I found the drm droids and so these were relegated to sentinel duty.

Hi Dughan, you are. Correct E&C's list is the current one, however support formations of 3 manticores were removed in the latest version, they now only come in groups of 6 so I'm currently on the lookout for more

The models have grey weapons casings and I'll be working the same shade into other models I paint. I've never been a fan of yellow but I might try and work in some hazard stripes on the praetorians.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

could somebody direct me to the page where i can get an update so i can mark my notes accordingly. help a brother out.. lol

luckily i have 9 e40k manticore. though their painted for my guard unit in a green orche paint job.. i might go an repaint some of my tanks to match a red scheme of my superheavies. But when i get some otterware for the skitarii i'm gonna have some gorgonzola's and his macroni tanks to have some fun with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next