Login |  Register |  FAQ

Is this madness?

Post subject: Is this madness?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

Ive just started painting an old Gargant I started on sometime last year and then abandoned. I soon realized that this mini is huge. And thats not all, it has so many tiny details!

So as you can see, I use a very traditional technique, and it includes blacklining. So Im starting to feel that blacklining every armor plate may perhaps be quite crazy... On the other hand, Ive come half the way through it, so no point in stopping now, right? :-\

How do you guys do blacklining on minis like this? And how do you paint minis with huge amounts of detail in general?

Attachments:
Gargant2.jpg
Gargant2.jpg [ 120.16 KiB | Viewed 1375 times ]

Last edited by Brother-Captain Parzval on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: I this madness?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:00 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Several methods, first I use washes to darken the cracks between armor, second I use black gouashe and after it dries use a damp cotton swab to wipe off the excess, the last way is to just carefully paint the lines.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Burnt umber sludge wash. Crush some burnt umber pastel and mix with water and a drop of dishwashing detergent. Paint liberally down all the lines and don't bother trying to be neat. Once dry, fold some tissue into a pad and buff off all the excess.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The dishwashing detergent is to break the surface tension? Ive heard of such methods but havent had the courage to try it.

Even painting my Gryphonne Sepia wash directly from the pot onto a test model the other day led to tons of air bubbles I had to deal with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:05 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Simply blow on the model to pop the bubbles. No biggie.

Blacklining that whole thing will be a pain. It will look good, but it's up to you if it's worth it.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Washing, Dry brushing, detailing, black lining, etc. That's how I did mine ... Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

An ultra-fine black pen is good for black lining too.

Although I must admit I do tend to use washes more than anything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for all those tips! Its interesting to see how individual every painters technique is: love all those homegrown wash-recipies!

I generally use washes too, and have done so on this mini aswell. But as I was trying to get a bright (bad moon!) yellow, I only used a light orange-yellow wash on it. A dark wash would have produced too dark a colour here, although it would have been quicker and produced more of a rusty dirty kind of look. That would have been nice too...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:58 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

For Bad Moon orks, I generally do this...

Basecoat the entire mini yellow. I use a spray if available. Otherwise, I will prime it white and wash the entire thing with yellow. Whatever is quick.

Wash the entire thing with a brown wash. Usually, brown ink with a bit of brown paint mixed in to reduce shine. It's okay for the mini to look mostly brown at this point. This gets all the crevasses and such, "brownlining" if you will, rather than blacklining.

Drybrush with a dark yellow/ochre. The point of using a dark yellow is to get good coverage. Most bright yellow pigments don't cover well while ochre shades have enough brown and gray pigments mixed in to cover.

Drybrush with a bright yellow.

If the mini still looks too dull, I'll do a light drybrush of white and go back over it with a bright yellow. The issue, again, is coverage. The white is just to give the yellow a surface where it doesn't have to cover a darker color.

Overall, this gives a look that once was bright yellow but is now grimy.

Move on to other colors and details after that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've always went black/yellow with my badmoons.. so I spray black, drybrush with Charadon Granite, to highlight cloth areas, then I paint the plates in Iyanden and then highlight the edges with a brighter yellow.. nice and fast and definitely looks like Bad Moons

Post subject: Re: Is this madness?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I very rarely paint on black lining and wouldn't advise it on yellow - the contrast between yellow and black is much too great. I'd use washes which are a mix of orange and browny/sepia in colour (more orangey or browny depending on your preference of how you this particular model to look). Using a few to several of these water-thinned-down washes will build up the shading in successive layers and is better and more controllable than one thick wash without water. As others have said using a little something to break down the surface tension of the wash does noticeably improve the result - personally I use Klear floor polish. I have a 500ml bottle full of water with a small amount of Klear in and then use small amount of that to water down my washes in place of water. It does result in a slightly more shiny finish but I give the model a coat of testors matt spray varnish when it's finished which gets rid of any shine.

There was an really excellently painted Ork Gargant in this year's Epicomp you might want to have a look at and others on the forum paint yellow well - Vaaish does a good naturalistic yellow on his Imperial Fists for example (I'd add links to these but I'm posting from my Blackberry and it'd take forever).