Login |  Register |  FAQ

Some basic questions

Post subject: Some basic questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

im playing more epic in my gargage, and my usual opponent is almost as new as me, so naturally some questions came up:

i was playing a game of epic today, teaching another guy. and a few things came up:

1. what happenes when you shoot a broken formation?

2. at the rally phase, do unbroken formations shed blast markers? how?

3. how many blast markers do you take off of formations that rally?

4. if a unit doesnt not rally, does it withdraw again?

5. what happens if a unit cant withraw far enough away from enemy units?

6. how does close combat work? i had some tech guard get assaulted by orks, the orks in base to base use there CC value and the ones not use there FF value right? how do you work combat result when the combat is over? combat is simultanious unless someone has first strikers right?

7. an engage move is just one move using the fromations base movement right?

8. a gargant has 5 BM's on it at the end of a round, does he shed any before the next round or do they stick?

9. TK shots with a (d3) or (d6) behind them remove that many shields right? so if i roll 3 for a TK d3 weapon i remove three shields?

10. how many formations can garrison?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (studderingdave @ 24 Jul. 2009, 01:04 )

im playing more epic in my gargage, and my usual opponent is almost as new as me, so naturally some questions came up:

i was playing a game of epic today, teaching another guy. and a few things came up:

1. what happenes when you shoot a broken formation?

A fairy dies? You fire as normal and remove casualties as normal. Then for every blastmarker you would have placed remove one extra non fearless unit from the formation front to back.
Epic - the game teaching kids to shell fleeing infantry.
2. at the rally phase, do unbroken formations shed blast markers? how?
3. how many blast markers do you take off of formations that rally?

You make a rally roll for them (so base init, -1 for any enemy within 30cm). If you pass remove half the bm's rounding up plus one (2 for space marines) for each leader.
4. if a unit doesnt not rally, does it withdraw again?
Yes
5. what happens if a unit cant withraw far enough away from enemy units?

There are special rules for fearless, but anyone else when they break if they can't get 15cm away, dies.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (studderingdave @ 24 Jul. 2009, 01:04 )

6. how does close combat work? i had some tech guard get assaulted by orks, the orks in base to base use there CC value and the ones not use there FF value right? how do you work combat result when the combat is over? combat is simultanious unless someone has first strikers right?

Short answer - its all in the rulebook, I could cut and paste :)
7. an engage move is just one move using the fromations base movement right?

Yes unless they have a special rule like infiltrate.

8. a gargant has 5 BM's on it at the end of a round, does he shed any before the next round or do they stick?
Depends if he rallies or not.

9. TK shots with a (d3) or (d6) behind them remove that many shields right? so if i roll 3 for a TK d3 weapon i remove three shields?
Yes

10. how many formations can garrison?
Unlimited. But only 2 get the free overwatch.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

so do formations that arnt broken still need to roll for rally to remove blast markers?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes. Though of course some formations like marines or orks with enough units left with no enemy nearby will rally automatically (1+, like activating).

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ok so let me make sure i have this right. its the end of the round, everything on both sides went, now its the rally phase. formations with blast markers on them take an initiative test to remove half their blast markers. this roll is modified -1 if they are 30 or closer to an enemy formation and -2 if they are broken, is that right?

a formation that breaks, how far does it HAVE TO withdraw?

does a titan's close combat attacks count as macro weapon attacks?

you can only retain the initiative once per round right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:54 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yes - and the modifiers are cumulative (ie broken+closer than 30 then -3)

It has to be more than 15cm from any enemy formation, except for fearless formations which may stay in 15cm of unit that broke them - but may not move into anothe enemy zone of control

Not unless stated as MW in the datasheet

Yes - except for Eldar who may retain twice once per turn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:19 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote: (studderingdave @ 30 Jul. 2009, 08:41 )

a formation that breaks, how far does it HAVE TO withdraw?

You never have to move with your withdraw move.  It's a matter of where your units are destroyed if you do not.  If you broke because the enemy shot you from 40cm away, you could stand exactly where you are and not have any "hackdown" kills if you don't move.

does a titan's close combat attacks count as macro weapon attacks?

No.  Only weapon attacks designated as MW are.  The basic attacks are never MW.

you can only retain the initiative once per round right?

There's a terminology issue here, as people use "turn" to refer to overall game turns and also a player's turn to activate.  Just to be clear, you can retain initiative one time each time you are allowed to activate.  For example, if you had 8 activations, you could retain up to 4 times:

1) activate/retain
enemy activation(s)
2) activate/retain
enemy activation(s)
3) activate/retain
enemy activation(s)
4) activate/retain

Eldar can do a double retain (action/retain/retain) once per overall game turn, not each time it's their "turn" to activate.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i was referring to rounds as in if me and my opponenet both have 9 activations before we go to the rally phase we can only retain once out of those 9 activations. a standard game is 3 turns right? so normal armies can retain 3 times in the entire game, once per turn?

seems kinda odd that titans dont cause MW hits in CC, they are friggin huge. i dounno what kind of protection a flak vest would give when a massive walker is stepping on you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (studderingdave @ 30 Jul. 2009, 14:31 )

i was referring to rounds as in if me and my opponenet both have 9 activations before we go to the rally phase we can only retain once out of those 9 activations. a standard game is 3 turns right? so normal armies can retain 3 times in the entire game, once per turn?

No, You are allowed to retain each time its your go to activate. So with 9 activations you could have 4 activations (activate and retain 4 times) and one final activation at the end.

Of course that may leave your opponent with lots to of activations left once you've finished.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ok a few more questions. i dont normally engage close combat with my tank heavy admech lists, but i ran forgeknights today for something new and alot of questions about CC:

say i have 6 force knights with 1 blast marker on them, they activate to engage 8 CSM units, one is a lord. i make it in, does the one knight with a BM on it still fight? i roll my attacks, he swings back, the stands not in base to base use their firefight values right? now i look to see if i have any supporting fire from units within 15 cm, i dont. once combat is over we go into reolution, i have more blast markers, i am outnumbered, i did 2 wounds, he did 2 wounds. what am i missing here? also what haooens to the loser? does he take blast markers?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Unlike ranged fire, Blast Markers don't suppress units in CC. After determining the modifier for CC resolution, each player rolls two dice and takes the higher of the two. Then you apply the modifier. The loser is automatically broken and the winner takes a number of BMs equal to the number of casualties he received.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ok thanks. that helps out alot.

so i have another question. say i have formation of 3 baneblades, and they take 3 wounds that i didnt save, thus popping one of them. the baneblade is dead, does my OP still roll for criticals against it? do the BM's created for the dead baneblade carry over to the ones that are still alive or do i just take one for being shot at?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

does my OP still roll for criticals against it?

Yes he does; it's possible the Baneblade may explode and damage nearby units as it is destroyed.

do the BM's created for the dead baneblade carry over to the ones that are still alive or do i just take one for being shot at?
BM's carry over and stay with the formation.