Login |  Register |  FAQ

Your views thus far?

Post subject: Your views thus far?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd like to get everyone's views on the 5.1 in the same thread so please post here about how you feel so far regarding the new changes.

cheers all

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think 5.1 gives us a much better base to build on than previous versions. The general opinion is that the list is now slightly underpowered, and that is the best place to be in terms of list development.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry I forgot to add how you feel about particular units as well. The whole box and dice basically.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As I argued extensively in the previous thread, the notion that Tau Drones should be disposable is a misnomer and oddity of past epic lists and not anything reflective of how they function in W40k or the background.

To go over it briefly again here; yes, Drones are non-sentient, and less important than living Tau troops from a manufacturing / logistical perspective (less though - not of no import to a small Empire without that bigger resources in the scheme of things yet). However, Fire Warriors that see the 20 gun drones with their unit blown apart around them shouldn't just say "Hey, we've come under very heavy fire that's just taken apart 20 members of our unit - should we be concerned or retreat to somewhere less dangerous? - Nah! It's ok; we shouldn't feel at all threatened here - they're only drones!" That would give them unrealistic un-Tau like morale effects and circumvent the basic game mechanic of blast markers when it's not appropriate here (Orks laugh when Grots die - Tau are a realistic tactical military force and have no attitude that justifies disposable here). This is a big enough issue for me that I flat out will not play with them as disposable in my games even if it were to be re-adopted in future (which I feel strongly should not be the case).

However, Gun Drones are also incorrectly armed in Epic at the moment - each individual drone has Twin-linked Pulse Carbines (see the W40k codex or the models - each has two guns!). The text for the gun should be changed to reflect that and if the normal epic convention is to be followed they should get 15cm AP4+ Disrupt - which would both be correct to how they are actually armed and should also in a stroke make them more playable and distinctive.

Hopefully I can actually get some Tau games in in the not too distant future :smile: And then be able to comment on other aspects too :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

-Would it be overpowered if you could buy 1-2 skyrays as upgrade?
-And when using drone upgrade you wouldnt count them against unit limit when transported in Orca or Manta!?
-Allow single Tigersharks (that cost more)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:36 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

It would be helpful if this thread doesn't become a re-hash of old points of view but is actually an informed thread from players that have played with, or against 5.1 only.

All other views have surely been covered and there is no point putting them up again (for now).

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Still not convinced the AMHC is required.

Devilfish are too slow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As you say I'd make the tanks a support choice and up the limit to 3 per cadre. But I said that before 5.1, and my testing hasn't changed my viewpoint.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree with Onyx here. Please keep it to your own tested results and views thanks gents.

I didn't want this thread to become another argument thread just a consolidated thread for Honda and CS to get feedback to date.

Cheers all! :agree:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The local experience around here has been that Tau just aren't "shooty" enough to compensate for their decreased assault ability.

Both Eldar and Imperial Guard seem to pack the same amount of "shooting" firepower, and have assault options if needed.  Tau can only shoot... and, unless sacrificing markerlight units, it just doesn't seem to be enough.

If guided missile are to be used as a "main" weapon, might not they be increased to a base 4+ to hit, since they are supposed to be quite accurate.

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Chroma @ 19 Jun. 2009, 00:33 )

If guided missile are to be used as a "main" weapon, might not they be increased to a base 4+ to hit, since they are supposed to be quite accurate.

In 40k they have the same stats as Marine Krak missiles, but slightly more accurate. 5+ is already pushing it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (zombocom @ 19 Jun. 2009, 02:45 )

In 40k they have the same stats as Marine Krak missiles, but slightly more accurate. 5+ is already pushing it.

But don't Markerlights in 40k allow for "more accurate" shots as well or something?  It would be a combination of the effects... or something.

And I said "If guided missiles are to be used as a "main" weapon", they should be improved in some way.  If not, then something else needs to be improved firepower-wise.

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:33 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

But don't Markerlights in 40k allow for "more accurate" shots as well or something?

They do, but you first have to hit with the marker light and then you can choose to strip cover saves, boost ballistic skill, or reduce enemy leadership if I remember right. I'd say the scope of epic is too great for marker light to affect the shooting much.